Naval Spitfire variants

Maveric

Fight for yor Right!
Reaction score
Hi,

do you know also the Supermarine Type numbers?

Servus Maveric

Justo Miranda

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Maveric said:
Hi,

do you know also the Supermarine Type numbers?

Servus Maveric
No
Specification is SINGLE SEAT FLEET FIGHTER NAD 925/39
Griffon engined variant is Supermarine Report No 2846 ,15 february 1940

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
I find it very interesting that the proposed Sabre-engined Spitfire proposal also attempts to alleviate one of the Spitfires most notorious design flaws – Its narrow centre-lined, main landing gear arrangement!
I have for years wondered why after so much continues upgrading and redesign of the numerous Spitfire variants, as to why they did not fix this problem.
Going by the 3-view drawing of the Sabre-engine Spitfire – it almost looks of Fw-190 influence, from head-on!

Regards
Pioneer

Attachments

Tophe

Reaction score
Website
cmeunier.chez-alice.fr
Pioneer said:
I find it very interesting that the proposed Sabre-engined Spitfire proposal also attempts to alleviate one of the Spitfires most notorious design flaws – Its narrow centre-lined, main landing gear arrangement!
I have for years wondered why after so much continues upgrading and redesign of the numerous Spitfire variants, as to why they did not fix this problem.
Going by the 3-view drawing of the Sabre-engine Spitfire – it almost looks of Fw-190 influence, from head-on!
Regards
Pioneer
Yes, I think this design has very little in common with a Spitfire. Saying it was a Spitfire, did you mean: a Supermarine single-piston-engine fighter? (look at the fin, so different from a Spitfire, both Mk 1 and Mk 24):

frank

Reaction score
The W-winged version also seems to address that issue as well, & it at least looks like a Spitfire derivative. The Sabre a/c seems to share nothing with a Spit.

Pioneer said:

Regards
Pioneer