NASA Space Launch System (SLS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just stumbled across this three-month old video about the FSB-2 SRB test:

I always find watching these tests interesting (I'd love to be physically present for one of these tests in Utah).

Having been to a number of them... it's a hell of a show.

current state on situation

Another Hurricane is moving toward Florida
This time NASA decides to let SLS stay on launch pad 39B and delay launch to 16 November...

Oh help not again, though let’s wait and see what part of Florida the Hurricane is due to hit before NASA has to take action and pulls the SLS back to safety.

Does make one wonder how much wind it would take to see SLS laid out on the ground.

Does make you think that for safety’s sake NASA should pull the SLS back into the VAB and away from the strong winds from the hurricane, then concentrate on the next available launch window.

Does make one wonder how much wind it would take to see SLS laid out on the ground.

Does make you think that for safety’s sake NASA should pull the SLS back into the VAB and away from the strong winds from the hurricane, then concentrate on the next available launch window.
I think they don't want to have to restack the SRBs but I don't know how many trips they can do before they have to do that. (And the time as well.)

What they need is a moving shelter.

They need something like the Apollo programme's Mobile Service Structure (MSS):

605px-Mobile_Service_Structure_retracts_from_Apollo_11_Saturn_V_%2848230193216%29.jpg

The problem is that the rollout puts stresses on the rocket. They've designed the rocket for 5 rollouts, and they're at 4 now. The SRBs can't be left stacked indefinitely either.

The problem is that the rollout puts stresses on the rocket. They've designed the rocket for 5 rollouts, and they're at 4 now. The SRBs can't be left stacked indefinitely either.

So that will be one more roll out (then what), will NASA have to disassemble the rocket and the SRBs?

not sure, this is based on comments over at nasaspaceflight.com which I can't find now.

There are many different SLS / Artemis threads out there, with lot of people posting (some of them... oh well, better not to talk about them).

I, uh, think it worked.

It's in orbit.
Yeah, it’s a start. Never thought too much about the SLS in its current form. I think of it as a Frankenstein monster of rockets. Not too keen about throwing away those shuttle engines. All that effort in design and testing just to be garbage. They should go to a museum for proper retirement.

Last edited:
I, uh, think it worked.

It's in orbit.
Yeah, it’s a start. Never thought too much about the SLS in its current form. I think of it as a Frankenstein monster of rockets. Not too keen about throwing away those shuttle engines. All that effort in design and testing just to be garbage. They should go to a museum for proper retirement.

When you see what they paid for the new-built "cheap" disposable ones, you'll probably change your mind.

I, uh, think it worked.

It's in orbit.

When you see what they paid for the new-built "cheap" disposable ones, you'll probably change your mind.
According to NASA, the new production ones are supposed to be 30% cheaper. They at least could have one or two of the original SSMEs donated to a museum.

Last edited:
According to NASA, the new production ones are supposed to be 30% cheaper. They at least could have one or two of the original SSMEs donated to a museum.
The money spent for refurbishment of the six old engines, and the 18 new build engines under contract came out to $140+ million per engine... Presumably, the lion's share is dominated by the new-builds.

Even at a future 30% savings based on that conservative figure including the refurbished engines, you're looking at more per disposable engine than it costs to buy a Falcon Heavy launch.... One SLS launch, four engines, and you've got seven Falcon Heavy launches. That's just the engines. Not including all the other costs, tanks, srbs, etc.

Assuming they want to keep throwing money away like this, refurbing, using and then dumping the old stock in the ocean looks like huge savings on the bottom line.

Cassini’s cost was up there, for a much smaller payload. Collides, rockets and carriers are rather similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.