• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

MiG-23 Flogger Fighter Family

SOC

I look at pictures all day
Reaction score
I don't think the JAY BIRD equipped FLOGGERs were ever capable of using the R-23 or R-24. At least one source says they couldn't even fire the R-60.

Ronny

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Does anyone have the Aide-Memoire for the MiG-23MLD Pilot on Air Combat vs F-15A, F-I6A, F-4E and Kfir C.2 manual? I have seen it being referenced several time but I can't find the original manual

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
I saw a mention of a proposed Recon MiG-23R variant. Does anyone have more details about this?
I seem to recall reading somewhere it was intended for both Photo- and ELINT battlefield reconnaissance.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
I saw a mention of a proposed Recon MiG-23R variant. Does anyone have more details about this?
I seem to recall reading somewhere it was intended for both Photo- and ELINT battlefield reconnaissance.
There is a brief mention in Yefim Gordon's and Dmitriy Komissarov's "Mikoyan MiG-23 & MiG-27" book (see below) which stated that in 1971/72 the Mikoyan OKB contemplated a dedicated reconnaissance variant of the MiG-23B designated the MiG-23R. It was to feature both cameras in the nose and SIGINT and IRINT and TV equipment on interchangeable pallets in a special bay aft of the cockpit. The MiG-23R did not progress beyond the preliminary design stage but work on a reconnaissance version resumed in the mid 1970s with the MiG-23BM (MiG

The second attempt was the MiG-27R. It was basically the same as the MiG-23R project with cameras in the nose and SIGINT and IRINT and TV equipment on interchangeable pallets in a rear equipment bay. It was also to carry a SLAR in a ventral pod. It too did not proceed beyond the project stage.

Source:

TomS

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Another interesting conversion was the Iraqi conversion to allow the MiG-23 to carry the french Exocet missile:

The Twitter thread with this picture has some follow-up on that. Turns out the metal bashing to make a suitable pylon was easy enough, but the MiG-23 did not have enough room for some specialized equipment that Exocet needed, so this idea was a bust in the end.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
The electronic components can fit inside the micro nose of an Etendard IV!?!

galgot

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
galgot.com
The Etendard IV ? Don't think it ever carried Exocet. the Super Etendard yes.