McDonnell-Douglas Model 265 AFTI project

Greetings All -

Sure looks like a McDonnell Douglas Model 265 design to me:

[link no longer active]

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Seller's description:

THIS MODEL WAS ACQUIRED BY SELLER IN THE LATE 1970S. AM NOT SURE BUT SEEM TO REMEMBER THAT IT LOOKED MUCH LIKE THE FAIRCHILD/REPUBLIC EARLY INPUT FOR AFTI. A SMALL MODEL IT MEASURES 8 INCHES LONG - 5 INCH SPAN. CONDITION REFLECTS THE FACT THAT IT HAS SPENT 40 YEARS PACKED AWAY. COLOR IS BLUE. ABOUT AS NICE A MODEL YOU WILL FIND. I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANOTHER.

THIS MODEL IS FOR THE SERIOUS COLLECTOR.

OVERSEAS BIDDERS WELCOME - JUST LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU BID.

BEST TO ALL GOOD HUNTING.

Attachments

• !B0BpHvQBGk~$(KGrHqR,!gwE)Cbn7gcKBMYgsRRfBg~~_3.jpg
    !B0BpHvQBGk~$(KGrHqR,!gwE)Cbn7gcKBMYgsRRfBg~~_3.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 664
  • !B0BpWTQEGk~$(KGrHqF,!iUEw5jcrqRWBMYgtFc!H!~~_3.jpg
    !B0BpWTQEGk~$(KGrHqF,!iUEw5jcrqRWBMYgtFc!H!~~_3.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 186
  • !B0BpR)Q!mk~$(KGrHqV,!iUEw5V!9hWYBMYgs1b-P!~~_3.jpg
    !B0BpR)Q!mk~$(KGrHqV,!iUEw5V!9hWYBMYgs1b-P!~~_3.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 187
  • !B0BpPfg!2k~$(KGrHqJ,!igEw5drmmiyBMYgst2Uu!~~_3.jpg
    !B0BpPfg!2k~$(KGrHqJ,!igEw5drmmiyBMYgst2Uu!~~_3.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 191
  • !B0BpMo!!Wk~$(KGrHqV,!jcEw5BD8Y8PBMYgsiv5ZQ~~_3.jpg
    !B0BpMo!!Wk~$(KGrHqV,!jcEw5BD8Y8PBMYgsiv5ZQ~~_3.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 197
  • !B0BpKMgCWk~$(KGrHqN,!gsE)CwPMcV+BMYgs,4c5w~~_3.jpg
    !B0BpKMgCWk~$(KGrHqN,!gsE)CwPMcV+BMYgs,4c5w~~_3.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 199
I would love to own that, but it's already more than I can afford and it's just starting. Good luck Scott.

Not VTOL... all yours Scott ;D

Greetings All -

Something Overscan may want to acquire - appears to be the Model 265 :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Desktop-Promo-Demo-Model-USAF-AF-T1-/220945769541?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337164e445

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Model of McDonnell Douglas Model 265.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqJ,!p!E8VlcdTvpBPK(SLkR2g~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqJ,!p!E8VlcdTvpBPK(SLkR2g~~60_3.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 148
  • $(KGrHqJ,!igE8hr)t6gmBPK(SDHbSw~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqJ,!igE8hr)t6gmBPK(SDHbSw~~60_3.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 176
  • $(KGrHqN,!oME8Vb!EgeUBPK(R7VFkg~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqN,!oME8Vb!EgeUBPK(R7VFkg~~60_3.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 185
  • $(KGrHqN,!lsE8FS2(o7-BPK(R7N6fw~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqN,!lsE8FS2(o7-BPK(R7N6fw~~60_3.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,168
  • $(KGrHqN,!okE8YD1sj34BPK(RzspR!~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqN,!okE8YD1sj34BPK(RzspR!~~60_3.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,182
  • $(KGrHqR,!hQE8jj7e57FBPK(RzgSEQ~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqR,!hQE8jj7e57FBPK(RzgSEQ~~60_3.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,211
  • $(KGrHqR,!nwE8(OT3e5sBPK(SD48D!~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqR,!nwE8(OT3e5sBPK(SD48D!~~60_3.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,258
  • $(KGrHqV,!icE8V7Bpn1PBPK(SK31dQ~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqV,!icE8V7Bpn1PBPK(SK31dQ~~60_3.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,444
Greetings All -

We had a work party at the Museum this past Saturday and in the process, uncovered a few things which will show up here in due course. First off, this three view with internal layouts. of the Model 265-1.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• zMcDonnell Douglas Model 265-1 3V with Internal Layout.jpg
    zMcDonnell Douglas Model 265-1 3V with Internal Layout.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 690
Great! Thank you. Can't wait to see what other treats you dug up.

Just a little update on the model floating around here. It was made by Marketing Aids back in the 70's. I remember going into the shop in Anaheim and seeing a table full of them ready for packing. After a lot of begging and groveling I acquired one from my friend Al Parker who was a partner there with the promise of sworn secrecy. Solid cast resin, and minimal detail, I was thrilled to add it to my growing collection. My biggest complaint was that it was a tiny thing at about 6 or 7 inches in length if I recall and was traded off years later for something bigger.

Ready the especulative cutaway drawing McDonnell Douglas AFTI 265

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,23005.msg333572.html#new

Just wanted to let everyone know on this subject that the model depicted here several times was made by Marketing Aids, the outside Douglas model shop in Anaheim back in the early 70's. My friend Al Parker was a partner there and I was in the shop while they were making these. I wanted one badly of course, but they were proprietary and I had to wait a number of years to acquire one for the collection. My only complaint was that it was tiny.... like about 7-8 inches or so and would get lost on the shelf. Now if it were a 20th or even a 40th scale it would have been magnificent. Maybe I'll carve one some day......... As you may have seen I do my own "box" scale where the model has a 26-inch wingspan or so. Having such a short wing the fuselage would be the decider at around 20-22 inches I suspect.

Greetings All -

Here's some McAir artwork to go along with the Vectored Lift Fighter concept....

Enjoy the Day! Mark
Having now examined the actual painting (xD4C-73862 Jun-70.jpg), notations around the border indicate that it was originally painted with US Navy markings.

Greetings All -

Here's some McAir artwork to go along with the Vectored Lift Fighter concept....

Enjoy the Day! Mark
Having now examined the actual painting (xD4C-73862 Jun-70.jpg), notations around the border indicate that it was originally painted with US Navy markings.
Interesting as the Navy was in on the X-31, USAF no where to be found.....

Thanks Scott - Mark

Good Day All -

I found some more artwork over at the Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum that is worth sharing.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

xd4e-591210-2-nov-77-jpg.81974

This design is called "Paul Czysz's Cannon-Fighter" by the Combat Reform website, supposedly armed with large caliber guns.

Looks like a variable incidence wing to me, allowing the fuselage with the gun to be
pointed downwards, while the aircraft is still in level flight.
Importantly also the varible incidence wing allows the fuselage to be raised for indirect fire large calibre gun shots.

The side by side appears to have a FLIR/LD ball under the fuselage which would also enable PGM use for battlefield air interdiction roles.

overscan said:
Cool! Seems to be a two seat close air support design using Model 265 aerodynamics.

It’s a quirky looker and that big flat belly and offset intakes could make for an easy evolution into a low RCS strike aircraft. The side by side appears to have a FLIR/LD ball under the fuselage which would also enable PGM use for battlefield air interdiction roles.
..would postulate the ball under the fuselage could well be not only a sensor but a minigun and or 40mm AGL turret which would stable enough for accurate fire based on the varible incidence wing & canard ie Vectored Flight Control (VFC).

J85 engines? man, that's going to be tiny, F-5 size or so.

The variable incidence wings are interesting.