McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II

Screenshot 2023-09-23 at 12.40.04 PM.png

I came across this 1966 McDonnell advertisement in Aviation Week. The Phantom variant labeled "TSF" at the bottom intrigues me. I have not been able to determine what Phantom variant this is or was meant to be. The time frame suggests to me that this is what become the F-4E given its elongated nose? I thought it might have been the British Phantom variant that had its recon equipment all internal but that doesn't seem right to me.

Tactical Strike Fighter?

“as early as October 1963, the Air Force’s TAC had suggested an F-4E version, with a built-in gun, to fly as a tactical strike fighter.”

Though the Ad already has an "F-4E" near identical to the F-4D, odd...

Tactical Strike Fighter?

“as early as October 1963, the Air Force’s TAC had suggested an F-4E version, with a built-in gun, to fly as a tactical strike fighter.”

Though the Ad already has an "F-4E" near identical to the F-4D, odd...

Looks right to me. Could just be that they didn't have a picture of the actual F-4E yet, since it was still a work in progress in '66.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230926-203616.png
    Screenshot_20230926-203616.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
Ah, reading your source, I suspect the F-4E in the ad is basically the D plus the CORDS radar, before the decision to incorporate the gun.

I came across this 1966 McDonnell advertisement in Aviation Week. The Phantom variant labeled "TSF" at the bottom intrigues me. I have not been able to determine what Phantom variant this is or was meant to be. The time frame suggests to me that this is what become the F-4E given its elongated nose? I thought it might have been the British Phantom variant that had its recon equipment all internal but that doesn't seem right to me.
Look like a RF-4E.

English interview with Iranian Air Force Col. Fred Izadseta on flying the F-4 Phantom and planning the H-3 operation.
It has been a tough few months for the Iranian Air Force community. Many of the veterans of the Iran-Iraq war have recently passed away. I ask that you please listen to this interview so the stories of these brave men are not forgotten.

aircraft design is a confusing mess of various disciplines and as one might have to live with the results for decades , utmost care is needed to make sure that what you decide to produce ends up good , which calls for long and careful analysis . But of course you have to start somewhere , from a fixed point so that you can examine the alternatives . ı will speculate , without any evidence but by just a personal belief that the fix in the case of F-16 was the wing . Aspect ratio of 3 , thickness ratio of 4 , area of 300 square feet ; they probably took a wing that was throughly researched and known ( maybe as an academic endeavour ) and built the Falcon around it . ı can visualise a couple of people looking at a chart that said at this speed , the wing produces that much lift and the projected weight means lots of performance is lost so they decide to build a 9G airframe instead of the 7.33 costumary and required . Because the wing can be useful up to a higher AoA than the standarts of the day , they decide to use the underbelly inlet instead of a more costumary side bifurcated or a F-8 like nose inlet solution .( The most common and - ı hasten to add - realistic explanation is Harry Hillaker pruned the nose and the tail area to save weight and drag but ı am r16 ; ı have a reputation to maintain .) The result cuts down the space for the underbelly pylon or threatens more FOD risk and forms a flat underbelly that makes the cockpit bulge , which causes the seat to be angled to nearly twice of usual to cut down the increased drag but in the end the engine can cope with anything so it is left raised for visibility concerns . And so on .
You're a long way off the design ideas of the F-16. Cockpit seat was raised for visibility, like the old P-51Ds. Seat back was angled to allow the pilot to take more Gs (not sure how well that one worked in practice).

I am researching the many models of the F-4 Phantom II (both made and proposed) and trying to document and make drawings of many of them. I have a problem that I can't find any information on a feature that was proposed, and must not have been implemented.
On the Israeli Kurnass 2000 it had first been proposed that they would have canards on the intakes, but later that was changed to fixed strakes rather than full canards. But for the life of me I can't find a picture or drawing showing the strakes. This feature was also to be included on the Terminator 2020 upgrade, but there again I find no picture showing strakes on the upper intake. Does anyone have any information on this? I would appreciate the help. I am amazed at what this group comes up with.
I'm also interested, and didn't see any answers in this thread. Figured I'd ask again.

Taking off with the wings folded has been done a fair few times, even more than the events detailed in the links. Given that folding wing outer panels are now seeing application beyond carrier aviation, I wonder when the first commercial aircraft will add to the list?
Only a matter of time.

The phantom was the last sexy fighter the usaf ever built.
No, the Phantom isn't sexy. Not like the curves of the F105 or F16. The Phantom is chunky, like the F22 and F35.