• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Variable Wing-Loading

KJ_Lesnick

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I know you can vary a wing's loading, or more accurately it's L/D ratio via the use of variable geometry wings (which I'm not fond of) or through the use of leading and trailing edge devices.

Is it possible, though, to tailor a plane's aero-elastic properties so that at high airspeed when G-levels go up, the wing responds by twisting down in disproportionately greater amounts such so that overall lift levels drop (while maintaining a reasonable L/D ratio) relatively? The idea would be to allow a wing with a pretty light wing-loading to at higher speeds reduce it's overall lift (and thus the drag that goes with it) so it could sustain reasonable G-levels?

I do remember hearing that most wings respond to loading by twisting leading-edge down (forward swept wings are exceptions and I've been told require a very sturdy structure to resist this tendency) so I'm wondering if a trick like this could work?

KJ Lesnick

XP67_Moonbat

Reaction score
Perhaps that could be a possible application of shape-memory materials.

XP67_Moonbat

Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shape_memory_alloy

A little background info for ya.

KJ_Lesnick

Reaction score
Is it possible to achieve this result just without memory alloy? Just cleverly tailored aeroelastic qualities?

KJ Lesnick

XP67_Moonbat

Reaction score
KJ,

I was thinking about that too last night. Perhaps a mission-adaptive wing (MAW) or sometihng similar could be what you need? IIRC NASA tested the basic concept on an F-111 years ago. Here's something a little more current for you:

http://www.sbirsttrmall.com/Library/Documents/FlexSys-AF98-180%20Innovation%20Story.pdf

Maybe that's what you're looking for. Or perhaps a variation on the idea maybe.

Moonbat

KJ_Lesnick

Reaction score
You're not understanding me... The idea isn't to increase lift -- You can just use leading and trailing edge devices for that (Like the F-16).

The idea is to *decrease* lift during high-g maneuvers at high airspeeds -- wings with light-loading tend to bleed off too much airspeed at high-speed during high-G maneuvers. The idea is to kind of cause the wing to twist down (I've been told wings twist down in respnse to loading naturally), but in a disproportionate manner in response to g-loads at higher-airspeeds to reduce lift, (and with it, drag) so the lightly loaded wing can continue to sustain high G's even at speeds beyond where a typically lightly-loaded wing would bleed too much speed off...

See what I mean?

Kendra Lesnick

Sundog

Reaction score
What you're talking about, controlling the bending and twisting of the wing under loading is called aero-elasticity and it's what made the X-29 possible.

As for variable wing loading, all powered aircraft have it; it's called fuel burn. ;)

CammNut

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Aeroelastic tailoring has been a part of every high-performance aircraft design since HiMAT and X-29. HiMAT used the directional properties of carbomfibre laminates to make the wing twist leading-edge down at higher angles of attack, decreasing drag and delaying stall. X-29 used the same technique to prevent the leading-edge-up structural diverge inherent in a forward-swept wing. No aircraft since appears to have used aeroelastic tailoring to such extremes, but it is now part of the designer's toolbox.

In a conventional metal structure the torsional axis around which the wingbox twists under load cannot be changed, but by controlling the mix of laminate directions used in the layup of a carbonfibre wingbox, the twist axis can be different to the geometric axis.

Sundog

Reaction score
I had completely forgotten about the HiMAT. I thought that was the coolest airplane when I was in Junior High School. I've seen the threads here on it's various iterations but had forgotten it's excellent work in the area of aero-elasticity. Although, when I was in college, I attended a speech given by some of the researchers from that program and it was quite an interesting talk.

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Himat derived "Rockwell wing" was offered to Sweden for the JAS-39. It only offered improvements in the transonic regime and added about 20% to the cost, so it was not used.

KJ_Lesnick

Reaction score
CammNut

Aeroelastic tailoring has been a part of every high-performance aircraft design since HiMAT and X-29. HiMAT used the directional properties of carbomfibre laminates to make the wing twist leading-edge down at higher angles of attack, decreasing drag and delaying stall.

Were there any aircraft before HiMAT that had aeroelastic tailoring (you said it's been a part of every major high performance aircraft design since HiMAT, however the wording does not clearly say that the HIMAT was the first; just all planes after it featured aeroelastic tailoring, though you did state that the X-29 and HiMAT used aeroelastic tailoring to an unusual degree) ?

In a conventional metal structure the torsional axis around which the wingbox twists under load cannot be changed, but by controlling the mix of laminate directions used in the layup of a carbonfibre wingbox, the twist axis can be different to the geometric axis.

I'm suprized it couldn't be done without a composite structure. I figured if the wing-box was set up right it would twist more and more during increased loads even with metal. I guess I'm wrong...

Kendra Lesnick

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Aero-elastic tailoring requires a material where you can choose the direction of strength/stiffness in your material. Metal tends to be homogenous and have the same properties in all directions, though I suppose you could perhaps uses techniques like directional solidification and single crystal used for turbine blades to give some directionality?. Really however aero-elastic tailoring requires use of composites in structural areas, something that didn't really happen before the 1980s.

KJ_Lesnick

Reaction score
Overscan,

Aero-elastic tailoring requires a material where you can choose the direction of strength/stiffness in your material.

Even if it worked both ways? (i.e. The wing twists leading edge down disproportionately in response to high positive-G's at higher airspeeds, and twists leading edge up disproportionately in response to high negative G's at high airspeeds)

KJ Lesnick