McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II

Screenshot 2023-09-23 at 12.40.04 PM.png

I came across this 1966 McDonnell advertisement in Aviation Week. The Phantom variant labeled "TSF" at the bottom intrigues me. I have not been able to determine what Phantom variant this is or was meant to be. The time frame suggests to me that this is what become the F-4E given its elongated nose? I thought it might have been the British Phantom variant that had its recon equipment all internal but that doesn't seem right to me.

Tactical Strike Fighter?

“as early as October 1963, the Air Force’s TAC had suggested an F-4E version, with a built-in gun, to fly as a tactical strike fighter.”

Though the Ad already has an "F-4E" near identical to the F-4D, odd...

Tactical Strike Fighter?

“as early as October 1963, the Air Force’s TAC had suggested an F-4E version, with a built-in gun, to fly as a tactical strike fighter.”

Though the Ad already has an "F-4E" near identical to the F-4D, odd...

Looks right to me. Could just be that they didn't have a picture of the actual F-4E yet, since it was still a work in progress in '66.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230926-203616.png
    Screenshot_20230926-203616.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Ah, reading your source, I suspect the F-4E in the ad is basically the D plus the CORDS radar, before the decision to incorporate the gun.

I came across this 1966 McDonnell advertisement in Aviation Week. The Phantom variant labeled "TSF" at the bottom intrigues me. I have not been able to determine what Phantom variant this is or was meant to be. The time frame suggests to me that this is what become the F-4E given its elongated nose? I thought it might have been the British Phantom variant that had its recon equipment all internal but that doesn't seem right to me.
Look like a RF-4E.

English interview with Iranian Air Force Col. Fred Izadseta on flying the F-4 Phantom and planning the H-3 operation.
It has been a tough few months for the Iranian Air Force community. Many of the veterans of the Iran-Iraq war have recently passed away. I ask that you please listen to this interview so the stories of these brave men are not forgotten.