McDonnell-Douglas F-15 Projects

Sundog said:
I would have to say it's from the 80's, because that's when I was reading Flight alot. That's an image I clipped out, I didn't save the magazine, so I can't be precise on the date.

Thanks to the wonders of Flight Archive, article found:

http://www.flightglobal.com/PDFArchive/View/1990/1990%20-%202652.html

Yes, thanks; well worth fishing through the adverts for the whole thing.

An interesting scan from an AFRL brochure cover...

Also, re "F-15U" of the early 1990s. The idea was Super Hornet-style reduced signatures, but also quite a lot more internal fuel.

Attachments

• F-15 with F-18 wing.jpg
    F-15 with F-18 wing.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 1,609
So, the F-15U had roughly the same speed as an F-18?

KJ_Lesnick
BTW: That picture of an F-15 with an F-18's wings isn't what the F-15U was. The F-15U had a more highly-swept clipped wing.

Here you go - RF-15 demonstrator

Regards,

Greg

Attachments

• RF-15.jpg
    RF-15.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,541
Anyone have any info on electro-optical system planned for the F-15? I had heard there was wiring in the left wing root for a TISEO-esque system in the Rodans.

F-15 Wild Weasel project and a pic of the demonstrator.

Source:

Peter E Davies & Tony Thornborough, F-15 Eagle (Crowood, 2001)

Attachments

• F-15WW.jpg
    F-15WW.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,565
  • f-15ww2.jpg
    f-15ww2.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,461
overscan said:
F-15 Wild Weasel project and a pic of the demonstrator.

Source:

Peter E Davies & Tony Thornborough, F-15 Eagle (Crowood, 2001)

Interesting, esp. the antenna (?) between the engines and under the nose !

Deino

Deino said:
Interesting, esp. the antenna (?) between the engines and under the nose !

Deino

The antennae is the same setup that the F-4G got replacing the Vulcan cannon, in fact it's even the same exact fairing.

Some models of different warloads for future F-15 variants dating back to the 1970s.

Attachments

• RF-15.jpg
    RF-15.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 886
  • StandoffStrike.jpg
    StandoffStrike.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 890
  • SeaStrike.jpg
    SeaStrike.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 886
  • PrecisionStrike.jpg
    PrecisionStrike.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 870
  • DefenceSuppression.jpg
    DefenceSuppression.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 902
  • AdvStrikeAS.jpg
    AdvStrikeAS.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 821
  • AdvStrikeAA.jpg
    AdvStrikeAA.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,439
  • AdvInt.jpg
    AdvInt.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 2,305
Overscan are any of these F-15 naval and various strike configuration images available in higher resolution?

Yes, in James Perry Stevenson's book ;D

See the "fair use" section of the forum rules.

Have ordered my copy today ... for around three bucks...

I would assume the Naval F-15 design is fitted with an AWG-9 to guide the AIM-54's?

Those thrust-vectoring F-15 designs look pretty cool. Why were they cancelled exactly?

KJ Lesnick
BTW: I take it the 25 mm caseless GAU-7 ammo was cancelled due to problems with the ammunition?

KJ_Lesnick said:
I would assume the Naval F-15 design is fitted with an AWG-9 to guide the AIM-54's?

Yes, which was one of the reasons its development would be so expensive.

KJ_Lesnick said:
Those thrust-vectoring F-15 designs look pretty cool. Why were they cancelled exactly?

KJ Lesnick
BTW: I take it the 25 mm caseless GAU-7 ammo was cancelled due to problems with the ammunition?

If you are talking about the STOL versions, USAF official policy has always been that no runway is every going to be taken out, so there is no need to develop anything for that situation.. Therefore, they were never going to develop anything like that, because that might call into question the fundamental way it operates. As far as air-to-air TV, in the early days the technology wasn't there to have the flight control systems that would really be able to use that technology. By the time the necessary technologies materued enough to truly make it practical, missiles with Helmet Mounted Sights were being deployed and they are much more effective (and cheaper) than TV, so it just wasn't worth the money. Also, doing TV on an F-15 might emerge as a threat to funding for the F-22 and this could not be allowed.

The GAU-7 did die because of problems with the caseless ammunition. Since using guns in fighter combat has been a poor way of knocking down other fighters (although I guess it beats ramming) since the early '60s (and yes, the Vietnam experience confirmed this), it wasn't worth the money and time to fix it. The M61 was good enough.

KJ_Lesnick said:
F-14D said:
Yes, which was one of the reasons its development would be so expensive.

Was there any difference in the radome diameter?

KJ

Unknown, but cutting down the size of the antenna would reduce performance, but matching the F-14 antenna size would increase the size of the radome cutting down on approach visibility which gets back to the issue of landing on carriers.

overscan said:
Some models of different warloads for future F-15 variants dating back to the 1970s.

Was the targeting turret on the centerline of some of these proposals the AN/AAS-33 TRAM from the A-6E or was it a new development?

Was there any difference in the radar capabilities of the F-15N vs the F-14A?

KJ Lesnick

KJ_Lesnick said:
Was there any difference in the radar capabilities of the F-15N vs the F-14A?

KJ Lesnick

Since they never built an F-15N it's hard to answer that, but assuming they both used the AWG-9, the F-14 would have the advantage of larger antenna and probably more power. One can assume the F-15N would have been able to be fitted with TCS & IRST, or maybe one can't assume that.

Sad, looking at those beautiful F-15 models loaded with all that Air-to-Ground ammo, how good it would have been in the attack-role: Damn shame that through stupidity and politics, they decided "Not a Pound for Air-to-Ground".

KJ

Very nice find, Paul...and our old unknown F-15 mod here as well...

Attachments

• precise_f-15_prototype.jpg
    precise_f-15_prototype.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 2,807
Hi,

is this report contain a project for the MD F-15 ?.
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19720020348_1972020348.pdf

Attachments

• fighter.JPG
    fighter.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,715
The large-scale model was configured to represent a typical high-speed aircraft developed in a general study by the NASA on
advanced high-speed fighter concepts.

My dears and my friends,please watch this;

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19820024444_1982024444.pdf

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,333
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,201
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,111
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,082
And;

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19840024284_1984024284.pdf

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,149
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 833
Responsive Air Launch
Using F-15 Global Strike Eagle

Timothy T. Chen, Preston W. Ferguson,
David A. Deamer, and John Hensley
The Boeing Company

4th Responsive Space Conference
April 24–27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA

http://www.responsivespace.com/Papers/RS4%5CPapers%5CRS4_2001P_Chen.pdf

XP67_Moonbat said:
Responsive Air Launch
Using F-15 Global Strike Eagle

Timothy T. Chen, Preston W. Ferguson,
David A. Deamer, and John Hensley
The Boeing Company

4th Responsive Space Conference
April 24–27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA

http://www.responsivespace.com/Papers/RS4%5CPapers%5CRS4_2001P_Chen.pdf

I've seen a mockup of another F-15-launched SLV that resulted in a few powerpoint charts, but not much more. The knowledgeable people I spoke with regarded the idea as a crack-smoker's delusion. The SLV was pretty heavy and very draggy, not to mention that it had very little ground clearance since it was mated to the F-15's center hardpoint.