Martin AR-14B

boxkite

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
In the mid-1960s Martin proposed a spaceplane for vertical take-off and horizontal landing designated AR-14B.

four turbofans
flight altitude 60 km
length 48,6 m
span 23,3 m

SOURCE: Der Flieger 7/1965 (page 166)

Attachments

• Martin AR-14B.gif
    Martin AR-14B.gif
    91.3 KB · Views: 588
Barrington Bond said:
Isn't this the lower component of the Martin Astrorocket?!

In all probability, yes. The artist's impression of the Astrorocket (= AR ?) is from Scott's APR website.

Attachments

• Martin Astrorocket.jpg
    Martin Astrorocket.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 511
boxkite said:
Barrington Bond said:
Isn't this the lower component of the Martin Astrorocket?!

In all probability, yes.

Definitely yes.

Note: sometime around 2002, I was contacted by someone at Lockheed-Denver about the Astrorocket. Seems that someone in the USAF had expressed interest in a modernized Astrorocket, so the LM folk decided to dig up all their references on the AR to make a proper response. As it turns out, even though their facility had done the studies... they had nothing left on it. Someone googled AR, found my website, and negotiated a copy of the original Martin report.

Shoulda charged more... :p

What was Martin's justification for using storable propellants on the Astrorocket? It would seem like the stage propellant mass fractions wouldn't permit TSTO using such low-energy propellants.

Also, did Martin deliberately choose the aerospike-looking nozzle for its altitude-compensating properties?

Michel Van said:
were ist the Heatshield on this space plane ?

The heatshield is the upper surface. As the vehicle has a lot of tankage that will be empty on re-entry, lightening thermal loads it doesn't require a special ablative or ceramic heatshield. Note the wing will shadow the jet pods on a typical re-entry angle. Also, the cockpit area seems to be reinforced, resembling an X-15's. I've attached a pic of the AR-14B inverted for clarity. They'll need good seatbelts for re-entry.

Now if you think that's wierd, check out Post #3 in this thread, in picture Phase-B.jpg the -161Y configuration Shuttle lands upside down. Hope they designed rugged undercarriage in that one. http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1928.0.html

Starviking

Attachments

• AR14B-flipped.gif
    AR14B-flipped.gif
    24.7 KB · Views: 412
  • Configuration-161Y.jpg
    Configuration-161Y.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 415
CFE said:
What was Martin's justification for using storable propellants on the Astrorocket?

Same logic as for the storable propellants on the Titan III ICBM: it can sit fully fueled, ready to go, for months at a time, and launch ona moments notice.

Also, did Martin deliberately choose the aerospike-looking nozzle for its altitude-compensating properties?

Yes. Martin studied a wide variety of different propulsion schemes, with aerospikes being just about the least unusual.

Hi,

http://www.flightglobal.com/PDFArchive/View/1964/1964%20-%202051.html

Attachments

• Martin 1.JPG
    Martin 1.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 381
A vintage Martin poster of the Astrorocket, recently on ebay. I didn't see the listing until about one second before I hit the "buy it now" button...

s-l1600.jpg

A vintage Martin poster of the Astrorocket, recently on ebay. I didn't see the listing until about one second before I hit the "buy it now" button...

s-l1600.jpg
Did you buy then re-sell it? I think more than one have been sold and purchased. K

Per Scott's comment on fuels...100% correct and Martin considered a number of "additives" to increase performance of the engines off the shelf at that time.
Martin referred to the aerospace looking like plug as a "thrust plate", demonstrating their desire to maximize the performance of what was state of the art (mostly available), as mentioned during that time period.
What dictated payload and number of individuals for the vehicle, by today's (mostly automated) standards, seems somewhat unusual.

AR-14B Stage I and II

Attachments

• AR14B Stage I.jpg
    AR14B Stage I.jpg
    809.9 KB · Views: 40
  • AR14B Stage II.jpg
    AR14B Stage II.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Astrorocket.jpg
    Astrorocket.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 52