M1 Abrams Family of Vehicles Export Sales

To begin with we have the following known/confirmed:

• Australia: currently 59 M1A1 (AIM) configuration tanks but these will be replaced commencing in 2023 with 75 M1A2 SEPv3, 29 M1150 ABVs and 18 M1074 JABs (also see this thread);
  • Egypt: 1,360 M1A1 tanks assembled in Egypt;
  • Iraq: 321 M1A1Ms. I have heard that an additional order for 50 is in the works and either being evaluated by US through FMS system or yet to be formally submitted;
  • Kuwait: 218 M1A2s and currently being replaced by 218 upgraded M1A2Ks;
  • Saudi Arabia: 575 M1A2S;
  • Morocco: 222 M1SA + 162 M1A2S;
  • Poland: 250 M1A2 SEPv3 on order with possible future orders taking number up to 1000 (though this is not yet formal). Also potential interest in 17 M1074 JABs (also see this thread); and
  • Taiwan: 108 M1A2T on order and expected to commence arriving in Taiwan by 2024 through to 2026.
I have also been advised of the following potential sales in work:
  • Bahrain: possible purchase of 50 M1A2
  • Bulgaria: possible purchase of up to 250 M1A2
  • Romania: possible purchase of up to 80 M1A2

Am I right in thinking the US has something like 3000 M1A1 & M1A2s in storage? I don’t just mean for Ukraine but as regards any country that might need them at short notice? I am talking in terms of gap filling T-72s etc.

The problem for any country in Eastern Europe using them are as far as I can see is the fact M1s are heavy tanks, compared to say the T-72, so maybe not great with the winters out that way. Also they are logistics beasts so you need hefty logistic chains.

Please note I am trying to keep this discussion in as general terms as possible so it doesn’t get the thread deleted.

Last edited:
The U.S. State Department has approved the potential sale of operational and training rounds for M1A2 Abrams tanks to Kuwait in a deal valued at up to $250 million, the Pentagon said on Tuesday.

The Pentagon said the Kuwaiti government had requested to buy the ammunition and related equipment, and the proposed sale would improve Kuwait's ability to meet current and future regional threats.