"People will make RC aircraft of *anything,..."

IIRC, that includes a 'Snoopy Kennel', complete with helmeted pilot-pup...

After seeing that, your 'common-or-garden' modeler would probably adjourn to nearest hostelry or bar, urgently ingest enough alcohol to dim the memory...

So that's...

I vaguely remembered a series of SciFi books built around an innovative, morphing star-ship called, IIRC, 'The Swan'.
Hah !!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooded_Swan ...by Brian Stapleford.
Due 'rights' management, you'll have to eg Google for images but, IMHO, 'artists impressions' clearly drew on the Colani meme...
--

FWIW, the design pictured above lacks even a flow-splitter at 'throat', would be hastily re-worked after first wind-tunnel test --If got that far-- demonstrated ghastly short-comings. Adding wattles, uh, a fin there might go some way to mitigating hilarity...

As pointed out by others, Colani's aircraft are nothing more than wistful fantasy born of utter ignorance. He would steal some striking image and buzzwords from the latest research, embody it in a fantasy machine and wrap it around with aerodynamic utter BS. He had a wonderful eye and as often as not the end result was stunningly original and beautiful, the best investor bait a charlatan could possibly wish for. No doubt he picked up his line in BS while at college and Douglas, but he certainly didn't pick up any aeronautical talent. I don't know what he studied at college or for how long, but at Douglas he ended up as head of the New Materials division, not exactly an aerodynamic Bauhaus.

But what puzzles me most about all this F&SF book cover art was that serious journals like Flight would report cheerfully on his latest scam, repeating his patently absurd claims in all seriousness, alongside a glamour photograph of the mock-up, or perhaps even of a lash-up rig he had "tested". The stuff he got away with, with a straight face! I'd guess that every column inch they published would have netted him another million dollars' beer money.

I just wish Hollywood had kidnapped him, he would have come to own the SF Silver Screen! Instead, he wobbled around being a reasonably successful designer in other, less technically challenging fields, until he finally passed away only a few years ago, in 2019.

Last edited:
I know someone made a Star Trek ship out of a piano design of his-but did he do spacecraft besides his NASA work? Anyone find a lost sketchpad?

{ Shudder... } Even so, it looks a tad more sea-worthy than the hapless 'Rover' from original 'Lost in Space' series.

If your memory scars don't go back that far, think 'VW Dormobile Goes To Sea'. It may have been kin to 'Herbie' but, a short craft in steep seas, the ride would have been utterly ghastly...

As pointed out by others, Colani's aircraft are nothing more than wistful fantasy born of utter ignorance. He would steal some striking image and buzzwords from the latest research, embody it in a fantasy machine and wrap it around with aerodynamic utter BS. He had a wonderful eye and as often as not the end result was stunningly original and beautiful, the best investor bait a charlatan could possibly wish for. No doubt he picked up his line in BS while at college and Douglas, but he certainly didn't pick up any aeronautical talent. I don't know what he studied at college or for how long, but at Douglas he ended up as head of the New Materials division, not exactly an aerodynamic Bauhaus.

But what puzzles me most about all this F&SF book cover art was that serious journals like Flight would report cheerfully on his latest scam, repeating his patently absurd claims in all seriousness, alongside a glamour photograph of the mock-up, or perhaps even of a lash-up rig he had "tested". The stuff he got away with, with a straight face! I'd guess that every column inch they published would have netted him another million dollars' beer money.

I just wish Hollywood had kidnapped him, he would have come to own the SF Silver Screen! Instead, he wobbled around being a reasonably successful designer in other, less technically challenging fields, until he finally passed away only a few years ago, in 2019.
Who, pray tell, did he ever scam?
Your screed is filled with unsupported accusations that is nowt but your opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who, pray tell, did he ever scam?
Two cases in point were the supersonic push-pull propeller record-breaker and the lifting-body airliner. These were so obviously untenable, yet straight-faced write-ups in journals like Flight helped persuade investors to believe his absurd claims and hand over their cash. You know, convoluted propellers that would break under centrifugal loads long before they got supersonic, grossly exaggerated area ruling in slightly the wrong place, a lifting-body expected to be aerodynamically efficient, that sort of elementary nonsense. There is not, and can never be, authoritative support for such nonsense; there is nothing to refute. I call those scams, you may choose to wrap platitudes round him.

And yes, I offer my modest opinion of these things. Opinions are by their nature unsupported, that's what distinguishes them from facts.

Last edited:
Folks, please calm down !
Quite early in this thread it was said, that Colani was more of a performance artist, than an aircraft
designer. So no need for too much uproar and certainly not for getting personal !
My Mother-in-Law had a coffee brewer designed by Colani and it made perfect coffee for years !
So perhaps we should regard designs of bigger things just a advertising gimmick and keep in mind
the old say "Only good things about the dead" !

Dozens of projects at GettyImages

Attachments

• gettyimages-1005797720-594x594.jpg
    gettyimages-1005797720-594x594.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 37