Lockheed CL-945 stowed-rotor aircraft (CARR)

From L+K 4/1966,

it had estimated speed of 800 km/h ?.

Attachments

• 3   4-1966.png
    3 4-1966.png
    116.9 KB · Views: 234
Full rez available through here:
http://www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com/blog/?p=4082

Lockheed-composite-aircraft-art.jpg

Suspect that there was a background painting done, with variations of the aircraft put in on top of the painting.

Suspect that there was a background painting done, with variations of the aircraft put in on top of the painting.

The original that I own is everywhere an actual painting, not a background lithograph. I don't know if it makes sense to paint the same background over and over. Eyeballing the two, the leaves and buildings *look* identical. I suppose the thing to do is overlay the images and see just how exactly they line up...

The background, including those buildings, seems to be identical, with the exception, that the Army got
that bathing pond.

Attachments

• overlay.jpg
    overlay.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 134
Its not uncommon in aviation concept art for the earlier oil painting to be overpainted in a modified configuration, rather than have the artist paint an entirely new picture.

Its not uncommon in aviation concept art for the earlier oil painting to be overpainted in a modified configuration, rather than have the artist paint an entirely new picture.
Different aircraft and sorta kinda the same if you squint real hard......

From Aviation magazine.

Attachments

• 4.png
    4.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 120
From Army magazine 1967.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    925.7 KB · Views: 82
I was thinking the other day how viable these concepts could be today. With digital fly by wire/light and computing power the controlability of the aircraft should not be overly difficult. With composite materials weight (and thus cost) can be reduced as well. Mechanical reliability would likely be the biggest challenge, but thanks to better understanding of aero and using wing mounted thrust as counter-tourque, the dynamic components of a design like this could be ... simplified (sorta).
I dunno, there's limits on how big a wing and fuselage you can have blocking airflow from the rotor. And I just don't trust the automatic fold/stow setups.

Back
Top Bottom