Lockheed CL-739 and Related Projects

I think the wing from that in Picture number 1 is based on the CL-1200 Lancer

Yes, I wanted to write the same. Also the horizontal tail surface resembles F-104, but since this is only a comparative study, it is logical that they used for better estimations parts from existing/proposed planes.

Maveric said:
circle-5 said:
3-View drawing of the Lockheed CL-757, which followed the Lockheed CL-739-1 Phase I VTO Test Bed.

Hi circle-5,

do you have also a drawing of the CL-739?

Thanks Maveric

2-View drawing (cleaned as much as possible) showing one (of several) Lockheed CL-739 designs, along with CL-739 project summary:

Attachments

• Lockheed CL-739 Dwg.jpg
    Lockheed CL-739 Dwg.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 283
  • Lockheed CL-739 Txt.jpg
    Lockheed CL-739 Txt.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 238
What a treat today! CL-757 and now CL-739! I strongly suspect circle-5 to own a complete index of all CL- designs. He always seems to be right on... What do you say, c-5? ;D

I think its now reasonably certain that the projects Hesham posted are CL-739 variations. The 4th image is close to the design posted by circle-5, though the engine exhausts are further forward. The style of artwork is very similar to the Lockheed artwork, suggesting to me these are Lockheed original artwork.

{better copies attached}

Attachments

• CL-739-Maybe-1.jpg
    CL-739-Maybe-1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 140
  • CL-739-Maybe-2.jpg
    CL-739-Maybe-2.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 158
Original source of the above was:

Drell, H. and Danforth, E. C. B., “A Comparative Study of Propulsion Systems for Two VTO Fighters” IAS 31st Annual Meeting, New York, Jan 1963, Paper 63-28

circle-5 said:
Maveric said:
circle-5 said:
3-View drawing of the Lockheed CL-757, which followed the Lockheed CL-739-1 Phase I VTO Test Bed.

Hi circle-5,

do you have also a drawing of the CL-739?

Thanks Maveric

2-View drawing (cleaned as much as possible) showing one (of several) Lockheed CL-739 designs, along with CL-739 project summary:

Thanks, circle-5!

I noticed that the CL-739 drawing posted by Circle-5 is labelled Airplane IV, and this design is the fourth design of four presented in the article.

The US/FRG concept studies by Lockheed and others in 1965 also presented multiple point designs labelled 1 through 4 as we know from the titles of declassified reports.

Last edited: