Lockheed Archangel A-1 (pre-SR-71)

I have a few naive questions regarding the A-6-9 design that are not discussed in the book.

Were there deployable canards? The book doesn't talk about them but the drawings certainly imply them.

Also, the square box behind the canopy is the equipment bay, similar to the A-12?

What is the square box on the top side in the aft section? Bypass doors?

Finally I have bought the book "From RAINBOW to GUSTO" as eBook. Book is really excellent and key words for Scott's hi-res drawings are OK. Some drawings in book have more details as Scott presents in his drawings. Buy it. But... I wanted to buy it as some normal .pdf file to be able read it when I will like but I received URL link in .acsm file. I had to install extra soft to view that .pdf file without possibility to save .pdf file by standart way from that soft. On my notebook (now temporary as second comp) I'm not able open that .acsm file - excelent result for $40.

Do you know new format .ofi? I will release my next pictures (size 10000x6000 pixels) in this format but nobody will be able to view them (.ofi = only for idiots). Sorry for these (I hope) funny words, but I'm angry when I see similar solutions where you have to use non-standart solutions to aply your rights

PlanesPictures said:
what is this for edge?

A lot of the Archangel designs had blunt trailing edges. They were not unique:
X15_back.gif

51p%2BzToMKzL._SS500_.jpg

atlantisflap1.jpg

The utility of a blunt trailing edge is obvious for hypersonic vehicles... the edge isn't thin, making it easier to protect from thermal problems. Additionally, for a hypersonic vehicle there's not much - if any - aerodynamic advantage to be gained from a thin trailing edge. But I'm not sure that the advantages would hold for a Mach 3 design.

Orionblamblam said:
The utility of a blunt trailing edge is obvious for hypersonic vehicles... the edge isn't thin, making it easier to protect from thermal problems. Additionally, for a hypersonic vehicle there's not much - if any - aerodynamic advantage to be gained from a thin trailing edge. But I'm not sure that the advantages would hold for a Mach 3 design.

Huh, what about the base drag? That is one helluva issue.

DSE said:

Compare the base *area* of the blunt trailing edges of the Shuttle and the Dyna Soar with the blunt area of the fuselage itself. Base drag aft of the wings due to their blunted trailing edges is a pittance compared to that cause by the un-faired central fuselage. Given the thermal advantages of a thicker trailing edge (a thin edge could be thin enough to simply melt or snap off during re-entry), the added bit of drag is of no consequence.

As for the X-15 verticals, those have always surprised me.

As for the blunt trailing edges of some of the Archangels... well, these were *very* preliminary designs, and the A-12 itself did not have those type of trailing edges. Lessons learned in the design process.

FWIW, blunt trailing edges were pioneered on the X-4 where they reduced transonic buffeting; the X-2 also implemented this. The blunt terminations to the "bullets" and "between the engines" centerbody on the F-111 [counterintuitively] reduced base drag.

Orionblamblam said:
DSE said:

Compare the base *area* of the blunt trailing edges of the Shuttle and the Dyna Soar with the blunt area of the fuselage itself. Base drag aft of the wings due to their blunted trailing edges is a pittance compared to that cause by the un-faired central fuselage. Given the thermal advantages of a thicker trailing edge (a thin edge could be thin enough to simply melt or snap off during re-entry), the added bit of drag is of no consequence.

As for the X-15 verticals, those have always surprised me.

You made the general statement, "The utility of a blunt trailing edge is obvious for hypersonic vehicles... the edge isn't thin,..." And I made the general reply, but really should have made it more with respect to air-breathing powered hypersonic vehicles where they spend a lot more time in the atmosphere and drag can be a real concern. Especially at the powered transonic pinch point because of lack of excess thrust.

My bad for being so general.

Thanks!! Super. I immediately downloaded this wonderful RDF file.(Archangel-2ndEdition-2Feb12) :D