Loara-M

Apophenia

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
The Polish PZA (Przeciwlotniczy Zestaw Artyleryjski) Loara SPAAG system is fairly well known but not so its planned SPAAM companion. The former is usually referred to as Loara-A (or, for export purposes, Loara-G for Gun). The SPAAM was designated PZR (Przeciwlotniczy Zestaw Rakietowy) Loara but usually called Loara-R (or, for export, Loara-M for Missile).

Loara development began in January 1999 with both types to be based on a modified PT-91 Twardy hull. The prototype Loara-A conversion was undergoing trials by late in 2000 but, due to funding problems, the Loara-R in-service date was pushed back to 2007 at the earliest.

As planned, the Loara-R system would feature a turret almost identical to that of Loara-A. The twin HSW-built Oerlikon KDA guns would be replaced by boxy missile containers but sensor systems would remain unchanged -- Ericsson Eagle tracking radar on the turret face, Sagem IR camera, PCO KTVD-1 CCD, PCO DL-1 laser rangefinder, and PIT S.A. 3D multi-beam search radar on the pylon.

As a result of the push-back, the choice of missile was delayed until 2002. Missiles under consideration were a proposed indigenous SAM from OBR Skarzysko, Euromissile VT-1 (Thomson-CSF Roland NG), Saab Bofors Dynamics Rbs.23 BAMSE, and Kentron SAHV-3. Eventually the Rbs.23 BAMSE and SAHV-3 were shortlisted.

Loara-R never made it past the mockup stage. By late 2003, Poland had decided to postpone further work on the Loara-R "until at least 2008" according to Jane's ("Radwar and Bumar look for Loara partners", Jane's Missiles and Rockets, Mar 15, 2005).

Poland wanted a development partner for Loara-R and Bumar Capital and maker CNPEP Radwar thought they had found it in India which showed interest in Loara-G. For an Indian Loara-M, the by-then Denel Aerospace Systems SAHV-3 was being promoted. The maker's website still offers the Loara-G but not Loara-M

http://www.radwar.com.pl/eng/loarao.htm

With no final missile choice, there's not much in the way of specs. The Eagle 3D radar would have a radius of up to 26km and could track up to 64 targets. The mobile version of the PIT search radar (MMSR Mobilna Malogabarytowa Stacja Radiolokacyjna) has a range of 40 km. Loara-R response time was to be less than 10 seconds. Missile range was to be about 15 km.

Anybody got more on Loara-R/Loara-M?

Attachments

• loara-m.jpg
    loara-m.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 283
A simplified Loara-M setup mocked up on the Rosomak hull.

Attachments

• loara-r-rosomak.jpg
    loara-r-rosomak.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 248
  • loara-r-rosomak2.jpg
    loara-r-rosomak2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 238
Apophenia, I have this image titled Loara/SAHV-3, although I'm unsure where I got it from right at the moment.

Attachments

• db_LoaraSAHV_113.jpg
    db_LoaraSAHV_113.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 253
Cheer kb. That's a better-quality version of an image I had meant to mount (but screwed it up somehow). I assume that the original source would have been a Kentron/Denel brochure.

Apophenia, I've heard the Loara 35mm has it's birth from the ZA-35 SPAAG, the one that was mooted by South Africa on the T-73 chassis. Do you have any info on this?

kaiserbill, I've seen that same claim (online South African source, IIRC) but can't confirm. However, just the fact that Kentron was involved with the Loara-R/Loara-M does led credence to that statement ;D

I have various drawings that show the ZA-35 on the T-72 chassis, as well as what is I think an early Loara gun turret also on the T-72 chassis. I know this thread is about the Loara missile, but, with your permission as thread starter, perhaps I should post it here? Be interesting, if nothing else but for the comparison...

I know this thread is about the Loara missile, but, your permission as thread starter, perhaps I should post it here?

Yes, please :)

Having had a look at the drawings below of the ZA-35, and the Loara picture at the bottom, there are differences in the turret, although also some similarities. The early pic of the Loara in turn shows some difference between the final Loara in service at the moment, so it is difficult to tell. There are even small differences with the ZA-35 wheeled and tracked version turrets as far as I can tell. The optical sighting system in the ZA-35 was chosen for the clear meteorlogical conditions in Southern Africa, but could be changed if needed.

Attachments

• tiv_99_10_zsu_sa_drw_.jpg
    tiv_99_10_zsu_sa_drw_.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 242
  • za35-4tankpic.jpg
    za35-4tankpic.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 118
  • tiv_99_10_zsu_sa_800_.jpg
    tiv_99_10_zsu_sa_800_.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 128
  • loara-001p.jpg
    loara-001p.jpg