Obrum PL-01 Concept Direct Fire Support Vehicle

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Obrum has unveiled the PL-01 Concept, a new armoured fighting vehicle (AFV) concept, at the MSPO 2013 defence industry exhibition in Kielce, Poland.

The PL-01 was developed by Obrum, part of Poland Defence Holdings (PDH), with co-operation from BAE Systems, and is classed as a Direct Support Vehicle (DSV, or WWB in Polish) by the firm. The vehicle features a three-person crew, an auto-loading 120 mm main gun in an unmanned turret, and a chassis based on that of the BAE Systems Hägglunds CV90 AFV.

The development of the DSV is closely tied with the Polish Armed Forces' plan to create a Universal Modular Tracked Platform (UMPG), featuring a common chassis across different variants. Planned variants of UMPG include a DSV; command vehicle; armoured recovery vehicle; and mine clearing vehicle.

The future of the DSV is connected with the Polish National Centre of Research and Development's (NCBR's) fourth defence competition. The NCBR is the implementation agency of the Polish Ministry of Science, with a scope to manage the assets of strategic research programmes. One of the NBCR's competition topics for 2013 is a 42-month-long programme to develop the DSV up to prototype stage.

To meet the time requirements and to reduce risk, the Polish Ministry of Defence (MoD) requested that a proven chassis was used. Analysis by the Polish military indicated that the CV90 is of suitable weight and still has development potential. BAE Systems co-operation with PDH is currently limited to the initial design work and the transfer of components needed to complete the concept vehicle.

The PL-01 is 7 m long, 3.8 m wide and 2.8 m high, and with additional armour and anti-mine protection weighs 35 tonnes, although the Polish Army plans to cut 2-3 tonnes of this.

The DSV's 120 mm main gun is capable of at least six rounds per minute, while a 105 mm gun is expected to be an option for potential export customers. The turret features two ammunition drum magazines, with 12-16 ready to fire, and up to 29 rounds stored in the vehicle's chassis compartment. Alternatively, this space can be used for transporting up to four soldiers.

The supplier of the main armament has not been chosen, but Belgium's CMI Defence is understood to be one likely source. Paul Thorton, general manager of CMI Defence, has proposed to manufacture the CT-CV 105HP in Poland. CMI Defence also recently purchased the rights to the RUAG Defence 120 mm smooth bore gun. The coaxial machine gun for the army will be the UKM-2013C (modified version of UKM-2000C). The fire control system would include day/thermal sights with integrated laser rangefinder, while the commander's panoramic sight works in hunter-killer mode.

The additional armament - used for fighting in urban areas - would be a remote weapon station (RWS) with 7.62 mm or 12.7 mm machine gun or 40 mm grenade machine gun. The PL-01 Concept vehicle shown at MSPO is equipped with a ZSMU-1276/ZSMU-40 RWS from ZMT. The Polish-designed ZSMU-1276 passed additional military testing in July, and is ready for serial production.

The vehicle is protected by multi-layer ceramic-aramid armour, in excess of STANAG 4569 level 5 over the frontal arc (to defeat 30-40 mm calibre armour piercing rounds) and level 4 on the flanks and rear of the PL-01, with additional modular armour. The concept model shown in Kielce has an integrated the mock-up of BAE Systems' active protection system.

Source:
http://www.janes.com/article/26624/mspo-2013-pl-01-concept-vehicle-unveiled

Attachments

• 1513470-main.jpg
    1513470-main.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 1,441
  • MSPO068-1.jpg
    MSPO068-1.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 65
  • MSPO067-1.jpg
    MSPO067-1.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 65
  • MSPO064-1.jpg
    MSPO064-1.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 68
  • MSPO061-1.jpg
    MSPO061-1.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 1,260
  • MSPO059-1.jpg
    MSPO059-1.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 1,307
  • MSPO054-1.jpg
    MSPO054-1.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 1,345
  • MSPO052-1.jpg
    MSPO052-1.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 1,390
Neat, though I have never understood the concept of putting a tank-killing gun on a light chassis unless it was a dedicated tank destroyer used essentially as a self-propelled anti-tank gun--ambush and then run like your life depended on it (because it does).

Presumably the role of a cannon on light chassis in the modern context is usually going to be direct fire support. In that case, then a lighter gun with less range and a lot more ammunition would make more sense. Something like the OTO Melara Mod 56 105mm pack howitzer would be perfect and the short barrel would make the vehicle easier to maneuver. The Mod 56 is not robust enough for heavy, continuous barrage use but it's perfect for this kind of direct point use. How often is direct fire support going to be used at more than 11,100 m (12,100 yd), the published max range fo the Mod 56?

Heck, for that matter, a modern equivalent of the old 75mm pack howitzer in a self-propelled mount would be very handy. Even the M116 75mm could reach out 8780 m (9600 yd). Bring back the M8 HMC! ;-)

M8HOW.jpg

It is tempting to talk design choices... especially with a concept vehicle. But I'll try to restrain myself :)

Any thoughts on the shell-trap on the right side of the turret? Sure, this design probably doesn't have the armour to withstand direct fire from anti-tank guns, but what about 20mm AP rounds? Of course the optics would be unlikely to survive, but it still seems suspect to me to create a basket behind the optics for the round to get trapped in.

Let me know if I'm still thinking like its 1943... Perhaps there is nothing important behind the optics (the turret is unmanned after all) and a small calibre round would be unlikely to cause lateral damage...?

i find myself really hoping this armored vehicle actually sees production in something near this form.. tech wise it would be nice to see how the success or failure of the vehicle in actual use effect armor combat doctrine, it could help spur the development of other, similarly advanced vehicles to replace the older stuff in the 1st and 2nd world militaries, and frankly, it just looks cool.

i'd actually written something very similar to it (also inspired by the CV90 series and the FCS proposals) for a future tech Scifi RPG i freelance for.. i've not near a final draft yet, so now i might have to go back and alter the one i wrote and its derivitives, since it doesn't seem as futuristic now that the PL-01 exists..

It's a CV90120 / EGS crossover, but some even quite fundamental problems are visible already:
- bullet trap issue (small arms DO damage optics)
- not enough hangover for tracks over hull (if any), and thus plain mechanical obstacle crossing issues
- neglect of forward-projecting smoke dischargers
- suspiciously narrow tracks (CV90 tracks, but vehicle is at maximum weight known from CV90 series, likely suboptimal)
- questionable field of view for driver through panoramic telescopes
- difficult-to-camouflage barrel cover
- barrel overheating risk (I know normal barrels got thermal sleeves as well, but this thing requires extra tests)
- absence of standard antennas
- no stowage space for personal equipment (backpacks)

Source:
http://www.defence24.pl/news_pl-01-concept-nowy-pojazd-modulowy-z-labed

Attachments

• acade828ed16ccee01553a37e34b362ff2e4bbf3.jpeg
    acade828ed16ccee01553a37e34b362ff2e4bbf3.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 2ebea3381a59b259a981f91cbc88b5242aa49363.jpeg
    2ebea3381a59b259a981f91cbc88b5242aa49363.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 3f9ebd5cfed481c68bb0eae74794f601ec75c035.jpeg
    3f9ebd5cfed481c68bb0eae74794f601ec75c035.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 94
  • b8ca92657883f861d4deb7e626ec5fc6bf7afbab.jpeg
    b8ca92657883f861d4deb7e626ec5fc6bf7afbab.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 99
  • 93887ff27a0cfd87ce8e6e2586f0e411c7202484.jpeg
    93887ff27a0cfd87ce8e6e2586f0e411c7202484.jpeg
    322.4 KB · Views: 121
Reply to post #3
I agree. There seems to have been some ambivalence in the design of this vehicle. Direct fire-support suggests exactly that: supporting infantry of light mechanized forces in, for instance built up areas. The idea that the vehicle also has to have a gun capable of killing the latest generation MBT, degrades the direct fire-support role. A vehicle fitted with a 105mm field gun/howitser type weapon would have been much better in the support role, mayby something like the ols Abott SPG, or the vehicle depicted here.

http://www.google.nl/imgres?imgurl=http://www.panzerbaer.de/types/pix/fscv_003.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.panzerbaer.de/types/xy_fscv.htm&h=263&w=500&sz=30&tbnid=uX46qIa6Zg1iYM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=171&zoom=1&usg=__UV-ygp1ukgjQ4x1YUgTwC3JhiUc=&docid=0Pa6b_qXzPNd_M&sa=X&ei=X8y5UvfKBomS0QXh4IDYAw&ved=0CEoQ9QEwAw

On the issue of fire support, once most MBTs moved to a 120mm standard in the late 70s/early 80s, 105mm seemed to be reserved for just the stated fire support role being deployed on light tracked and heavy wheeled platforms.

Is the current preponderance on 120mm not just another inevitable evolution?!

Although to reinforce your broad point, I have spoken to several guys who operate in these areas and most swear by the 105 and are wary of any "upgrade".......having said that I also know a few who long to be reissued with the FAL:)

C

It makes you wonder what a true modern fire support vehicle would look like...this seems to be trying to be all things to all people.

Right today, the Striker and it's cousins fit more or less well enough.

In the far future, I'm sure a ~20mm cannon with guided shells and laser weapons for self defence would be fun to play with.

Actually, my thinking was along different lines. A low-pressure, low-velocity cannon (75mm or so?) could be quite light (carbon fiber over a steel barrel insert?) and still have a range of several kilometers and deliver far more punch than any multiple-shot man-portable weapon. Add smart technology to explode overhead and behind cover and you have a powerful urban fire support tool. Perhaps a conventional munition developed around the projectiles for the Carl Gustav recoilless rifle?

cluttonfred said:
Actually, my thinking was along different lines. A low-pressure, low-velocity cannon (75mm or so?) could be quite light (carbon fiber over a steel barrel insert?) and still have a range of several kilometers and deliver far more punch than any multiple-shot man-portable weapon. Add smart technology to explode overhead and behind cover and you have a powerful urban fire support tool. Perhaps a conventional munition developed around the projectiles for the Carl Gustav recoilless rifle?
Yes on the punch, no on the range. Low pressure weapons have traditionally low muzzle velocities and thus short effective ranges.
The range quoted for the L23A1 76mm gun as used in the CVR(T) Scorpion is 2200m. The earlier and heavier L5A1 gun of the Saladin armored car offered similar performance. The low pressure 2A28 Grom hybrid gun/rocket launcher was likewise short ranged. The experimental long barreled Zarnitsa gun, derived from the Grom, would undoubtedly have offered a longer range, but not to the level of a high velocity weapon.
If range is required, along with a large warhead, the solution is a high velocity, high pressure gun mated to a soft recoil system.

Interesting, thanks, CostasTT. I suppose it comes down to your definition of fire support and how much range you really need for the job. I do still think that a smaller gun could fill useful niche for direct fire support. For example, the old M1A1 75mm pack howitzer weighed only 653 kg including the M8 carriage and threw 6 kg projectiles 8 km. A modern incarnation ought to be able to improve on all those numbers and add air burst and even guided munitions yet help keep the overall vehicle size and weight down for airlift.

You are welcome.
Indeed, it's a matter of requirements. But as we are talking direct fire support here, I think I must remind you that even the 75mm howitzer used elevation (i.e. indirect fire) to achieve the range you mention. Personally, I think that if one does not want to go the way of 76-125mm high pressure gun systems, a breech loaded mortar between 81-120mm is the way to go, as it offers both direct and indirect capabilities. For instance, imagine the BMP-1 with the Vasilek automatic mortar instead of the Grom.

Absolutely, I doubt that the 75mm pack howitzers were used for direct fire at any more than 1,000 m if that far. I agree that something like the Patria AMOS or NEMO mortar systems might also provide a much lighter and more flexible alternative for an infantry fire support vehicle.