• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Littoral Combat Ship - Freedom/Independence

fredymac

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Surface Navy Association news with updates for LCS. Austal is already in planning phase for LCS 38 and recently launched LCS 24.

Also discussed is a stretched HSSV (also Austal) with an enlarged flight deck. This seems to indicate that Austal thinks an air centric (consider a squadron of V-247's operating from this) design is better suited to this design vs the trimaran LCS layout.

stretched HSSV, LCS update, and Raytheon SEWIP and SPY 6 status

Fincantieri FFG bid and SM3 Block IIA updates

Moose

Reaction score
I think the Austal HSSV is less about the utility of cat v tri and more about maximizing the commonality with existing EPF to keep their business case looking good, but you may be right that they're seeing the relatively square footprint of their cats as being more suited to an air-focused mission. They have been showing an USV concept that looks more like a shrunken LCS.

More broadly, I hope we see some good conversations/debates in the naval community about things like HSSV and the USV concepts. I'd hate to blow a lot of money going down a problematic path just because it "seems" easier or "looks like" the right choice.

As for the Fincantieri Frigate bid, they're really knocking it out of the park. I was a skeptic, I though people were overly seduced by the sexy Italian ships and needed to wait for more information before falling in love. But they're really, really doing well (at least so far as publicly released information indicates) so far. I'm not writing of HII or Bath, and I still don't love the shipyard for this work, but it's a really solid contender.

fredymac

Reaction score
Lethality upgrades as shown on Freedom class. Laser discussed at 5:22 mark.

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score

AN/AWW-14(V)

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score

max range for vertical launch 6-8 km
inventory objective is 845 missiles
missiles are taken from the army warehouse, tested, modified in AGM-114L-7/8A (install a fragmentation sleeve, software update include new proximity fuze mode)
the cost for one AGM-114L is on average $ 120,000, it seems like the Navy pays residual value for Army
Prior Years acquisition - 112 missiles, FY2019 - 90, FY2020 - 90, FY2021 - 32

p.511

aonestudio

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score

Attachments

fredymac

Reaction score
Sounds like typical upgrades every warship goes through:

Excerpt from article
Features like next generation electronic warfare capabilities via the Surface Electronic Warfare Improvement Program (SEWIP), an integrated shipboard combat system, over-the-horizon capability via the Naval Strike Missile (NSM) or Nulka, a rapid response active expendable decoy system that would give the LCS a more effective way to respond to anti-ship missiles and increase commonality across the fleet.