I assume that you mean Ju-87T (for 'Träger'). Was not this synonymous with Ju 87C?

Images and Ju 87C-1 specs http://www.airwar.ru/enc/bww2/ju87c.html

Attachments

• ju87c-1.jpg
    ju87c-1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 224
Apophenia said:
I assume that you mean Ju-87T (for 'Träger'). Was not this synonymous with Ju 87C?

Images and Ju 87C-1 specs http://www.airwar.ru/enc/bww2/ju87c.html

No, they were different plane. The Ju87T was to be a Ju87D derivative for torpedo attack. The Ju87C-0 and C-1 were dive bombers derived from the Ju87B-1...

Thank you

Pepe

Ah, thanks for the correction. But now I'm really confused.

"Junkers Aircraft and Engines, 1913-1945" (Kay/Couper) lists the 'D-based torpedo bomber as a Ju-87E -- Jumo 211J-1, folding wings, catapult points for assisted launch (plus rocket-assist trials at Peenemünde).

From the information that I have......

Ju 87C-1 Carrier based Dive Bomber - Developed from Ju 87B-2.

Ju-87D-4 Land based Torpedo Bomber - Developed from Ju 87D-1/3.

Ju 87E Carrier based Dive and Torpedo Bomber - Developed from Ju 87D-1/3

No mention of Ju 87T in any of 16 odd books I've looked in. Best guess is still confusion with T for Trager.

Regards

Bailey

there was also a proposed Ju-87F ( not built) , H was for trainer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Ju_87_Stuka

Does anyone know the nature of the original Ju-87F proposal (beyond having larger tires)?

For the second incarnation, was 'Ju-87F' a cover designation for the Ju-187? Or did the original Ju-87F proposal evolve into the Ju-187 concept?

The Ju 87F was based on the "D" series airframe, but had a reinforced undercarriage, oversized wheels and a larger wingspan. The engine was to be the Junkers Jumo 213a. The projected improvement over the standard Ju 87 was not considered good enough to be worth continuing with the project.

The Ju 187 was Junkers next try at producing a Ju 87 replacement, but was very different to the Ju 87F.

Regards Bailey.

Other than the Ju 187/287 was there any other work on giving the Ju 87 retractable landing gear?

Thanks Bailey. So the Ju-87F line of development was eclipsed by the Ju-187 rather than the Ju-87F concept leading to the Ju-187 in any way.

Hi all,

Other than the Ju 187/287 was there any other work on giving the Ju 87 retractable landing gear?

I don't know of any other work on retractable undercarriage for the standard Ju 87, however I sure that it was considered. The shipboard Ju 87C and Ju 87E were fitted with an undercarriage that could be jettisoned to improve the chances of success when ditching in water.

So the Ju-87F line of development was eclipsed by the Ju-187 rather than the Ju-87F concept leading to the Ju-187 in any way.

There is no straight forward answer to that question. The Ju 87F was essentially a beefed up "Dora" and the Ju 187/287 were a second attempt to produce a better Stuka., but work and development on the "F" would certainly have been carried forward into the later projects. The choice of the Jumo 213 being a common point. Think it was a case of back to the drawing board, but keeping the good bits from the earlier project.

Regards Bailey.

There was a secret collapsible version of the Ju-87 to be carried inside an U-Boat.
Please see "Erich Gimpel" and "Operation Pelican"

http://www.amazon.com/Agent-146-True-Story-America/dp/0425194736

That's interesting...

There was a secret collapsible version of the Ju-87 to be carried inside an U-Boat.

Never come across this one before, I'd guess it was similar in concept to the Aichi M6A1 Seiran. Was it also float equpped?

Going back to the original question, looking through the web these are typical comments relating to the Ju 87T......

"Air group for the new ship was to include Messerschmitt Bf 109T fighters and Junkers Ju-87T dive bombers."

"Ju 87C, Carrier version for Graf Zappelin (also recorded as Ju 87T)"

"The Ju-87C was a Ju-87B-1 with provision for catapult launches, an arrestor hook and folding wings. (Illustration 6) Ju 87T"

So in a fairly substantial number of cases, the Ju 87C and Ju 87T refer to the same aircraft.

Hope that clears things up :)

Whilst on the subject of the Ju 87C/T, I recall reading somewhere that a Stuka unit in Russia used airframes originally intended for Graf Zeppelin. Whilst on an anti-shipping operation, one of the luckless pilots pulled the wrong switch and dropped the undercarriage instead of the bombs. As a result he had to belly land his aircraft back at base. Is this a verified fact or one of those apocryphal tales?

According to legend it was an aircraft of the 4. (St)/TrGr 186 damaged during an attack on Hela, it is actually the faked photo of a Legion Condor Berta.

Attachments

• 258.jpg
    258.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 259.jpg
    259.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 59
Interesting design.... They wanted stuka capabilities while still able to have bf109 speed on a carrier fleet..... Interesting. Now that's NAZI engineering at it's finest

Back
Top Bottom