Italian strange bird of '60s the FIAT 7002

archipeppe

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
The Fiat 7002 is a medium-capacity dual-control helicopter for passenger transport and general-purpose duties, of which a prototype is under construction. The main rotor is of the "cold jet" type, and is turned by ejecting compressed air, without any form of combustion, from nozzles at the blade-tips. Compressed air is provided by a Fiat 4700 turbogenerator. A small ducted tail rotor, mechanically-driven by the main rotor, ensures good manoeuvrability at low forward speeds and in autorotation.

TYPE: Single-rotor general-purpose helicopter.

ROTOR SYSTEM: Two-blade main rotor on tilting hub. Blades have leading-edge and spar of welded stainless steel sheet. Ducts in leading-edge and spar carry compressed air to propulsion nozzles at blade-tips. Blades linked together by steel strips which bear centrifugal loads and permit pitch variation. Blade chord 0.43m. Small ducted two-blade tail rotor.

FUSELAGE: Light alloy sheet structure in three portions. Front portion accommodates side-by-side pilot's seats; centre portion accommodates passengers or payload; rear portion carries power plant. Short semi-monocoque tail-boom carries ducted tail rotor and small horizontal stabiliser.

LANDING GEAR: Twin tubular-skid type.

POWER PLANT: One Fiat 4700 turbogenerator with equivalent power of 530hp housed vertically in rear of fuselage. Fuel in tanks above cabin, with total capacity of 525 litres.

ACCOMMODATION: Two pilots, or pilot and passenger, side-by-side in front portion of fuselage, with dual controls. Large sideways-opening door on each side. Centre cabin for five passengers or 2.5m3 of freight, etc. In casualty evacuation role can carry pilot, attendant, two litters internally and two externally. Very large door on each side of main cabin.

Source: Jane's All the World's Aircraft, 1959-60

Attachments

• fiat-7002.gif
    fiat-7002.gif
    15.7 KB · Views: 248
  • 7002.jpg
    7002.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 259
  • fiat-7002_1.jpg
    fiat-7002_1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 254
here a Foto of Prototype in flight
fiat-7002.jpg

flateric said:
What a beauty. Extreme dream of every shoes box.

Yep it is the typical case of "shoes box that flies..."

In any case is the exception to the rule that see Italian at the height of Worldwide Design. ;)

WHAT is this?? ??? ??? ???

From the October, 1980, issue of 'Aeroplane Monthly', printed on the
'Plane Crazy' page and identified only as the 'Flying Caravan'....

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• flying caravan.jpg
    flying caravan.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 134
DOH!!! :-[

That's the only problem with search engine here, you need a designation to start with...
and yes, what a classic piece of italian design...

anyway, thanks for the info,

cheers,
Robin.

Try much general keywords, such as "crazy caravan" or "strange helicopter". And don't worry, it sometimes happens also to me that I know (!) the designation but despite it I cant find something, what I am looking for or simply I forget some facts.

I'd hoped that that lemon had been forgotten... BTW, at the time, it WAS an Italian design icon (just look at late '50s design furniture), except that when you design cabinets and lamps you have to change your mindset in order to design flying things.... ;)

Only marginal more appealing (or at least less appalling!) was the Hiller Ten99 (Model 1099)... not much more of a success, anyway...

Attachments

• Hiller_Ten99.JPG
    Hiller_Ten99.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 108
Re: Fiat 7002 cold-cycle helicopter prototype......

Dear Boys and Girls, here is an article in French about the odd-looking Fiat 7002 cold-cycle helicopter prototype......

The article comes from the 17th March 1961 issue of Les Ailes......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• Fiat 7002 cold-cycle helicopter prototype - Les Ailes - No. 1,817 - 17 Mars 1961.......jpg
    Fiat 7002 cold-cycle helicopter prototype - Les Ailes - No. 1,817 - 17 Mars 1961.......jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 117
Re: Fiat 7002 cold-cycle helicopter prototype......

Dear Boys and Girls, here is a picture with a caption in French of the odd-looking Fiat 7002 cold-cycle helicopter prototype......

The picture comes from the 3rd February 1961 issue of Les Ailes......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• Fiat 7002 cold-cycle helicopter prototype - Les Ailes - No. 1,811 - 3 Février 1961.......jpg
    Fiat 7002 cold-cycle helicopter prototype - Les Ailes - No. 1,811 - 3 Février 1961.......jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 123
If one set about to turn a bread-toaster into a helicopter, I'm sure it would look something like the Fiat 7002...

Stargazer2006 said:
If one set about to turn a bread-toaster into a helicopter, I'm sure it would look something like the Fiat 7002...

D'accord ;D

On the other hand, all those windows make it just the thing for those radio stations that like to have their own traffic helicopter!

I'm surprised the Italians didn't sue the French over the fenestron.

It does have a vaguely kitchen-appliance look to it, though.

Hi All:
I enclose another couple of photograph of the FIAT 7002 helicopter prototype. I think that the dark metal green color that appears in the only color picture is not paint but the protective treatment of the airframe.
Nico

Attachments

• FIAT 7002_191.jpg
    FIAT 7002_191.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 300
  • FIAT 7002_193.jpg
    FIAT 7002_193.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 270
I'm surprised the Italians didn't sue the French over the fenestron.

Note in the images above that the 'fenestron' has been replaced by a conventional tail rotor...
...or is it the other way round?, rotor first, then 'fenestron'.

cheers,
Robin.

A profile view of the Fiat 7002 from RAF Flying Review in 1960:

Attachments

• Fiat 7002.gif
    Fiat 7002.gif
    61.5 KB · Views: 175
OMG! Was the designer drinking bad Vino when he designed this thing? It almost makes that Percival helicopter, that could not get off the ground, look good.