Pankl Aerospace Innovations HERO

Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Pankl%20HERO%203-view-1.JPG

[IMAGE CREDIT: Pankl/Aviation Week]​

The fuselage has a lightweight, stretchable skin made of fiber-enhanced, polyurethane-coated Lycra (think of BMW’s GINA concept car). The flexible fabric enables a retractable forward wing that is deployed to increase lift at high altitude.

The fabric is covered in bendable pentacene thin-film transistor displays that project dynamic, real-time images of the helicopter’s environment on to the fuselage skin to provide active camouflage.

An active noise-cancellation system using flexible, transparent loudspeakers made with thin-film carbon nanotubes and applied to the fabric and blades would reduce noise and vibration to improve comfort and reliability, Pankl says.

The drive train has two interleaved main rotors and two ducted rotors for propulsion, all electrically driven by a redundant hydrogen-oxygen fuel-cell engine. This layout eliminates both geaboxes and tailrotor, the company says.

The main rotor blades are unusually short, to reduce noise, and have sinusoidally scalloped leading edges – inspired by the humpback whale’s flippers – that increase rotor maximum lift by delaying blade stall, Pankl says.

I suspect that Sikorsky is interested in this with regards as to potential sales to the USN, rather than to the USMC or the US Army. It would seem to be a good candidate for a new generation LAMPS/Sea Apache equivalent combo, which the LCS program in particular needs.

is this a genuine proposal?

The description sounds like they have just thumbed through a few back issues of popular sci/mechanics and cherry picked "new technologies"...

And that is aside from the configuration...

"Configuration" indeed... If you don't NEED a tail-rotor then why would you want to install the "tail" whose only purpose is to house said rotor?

Sounds (and looks) like someone mashed a bunch of sound-bytes and bits-and-pieces together and not a serious proposal?

Randy

RanulfC said:
"Configuration" indeed... If you don't NEED a tail-rotor then why would you want to install the "tail" whose only purpose is to house said rotor?

The tail would be still important for forward flight, supporting the aerodynamical surfaces on a moment arm, I think.
But I would expect difficulties due to the small distance between the rotor discs and efficency problems, as they are over-
lapping on a great area.
Not sure, too, about the seriousness of this proposal.

Unless the rotor blades are EXTREMELY stiff, I wouldn't stand too close while this is starting or stopping. Or while any cyclic is being applied. Or when any collective is applied.

I can't wait to see the flexible skin while the wing is retracting.

I don't take this too seriously, as you may have gathered.

Perhaps I'm being a tad overoptimistic. It could still be that Sikorsky is more interested at the moment in the individual technologies than the overall concept. We'll have to wait and see I suppose.

Source:
http://www.aviationweek.com/Blogs.aspx?plckBlogId=Blog:27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7&plckPostId=Blog%3A27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post%3A3986b20d-aee9-449d-adcf-eec52ec4fdd2

Attachments

• Pankl HERO AWIN.jpg
    Pankl HERO AWIN.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 306
  • Pankl HERO 3.jpg
    Pankl HERO 3.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 312
  • Pankl HERO 3-view-1.JPG
    Pankl HERO 3-view-1.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 308
Grey Havoc said:
Perhaps I'm being a tad overoptimistic. It could still be that Sikorsky is more interested at the moment in the individual technologies than the overall concept. We'll have to wait and see I suppose.

Alas way optimistic I fear. First down wash/out wash from those small rotors would be on a V-22 scale. Second, the maintenance officer in me faints at the complexity of the dynamic components. Third the aerodynamics of high velocity rotors and what that air does going into the ducted fans. Fourth, weapon effects debris going into the ducted fans when fired. Five, maintaining nano-tech skin and repairing the occasional hole that comes along in combat. Six as mentioned unless rigid like Sikorsky X-2 blades, I would not even think about maneuvering. Even then I would make sure my insurance was up to date.