• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Italian fighter projects

Apophenia

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
what was Caproni Bergamo Ostro II ?.
The text says it's a figther studied by Cesare Pallavicino between 1935 and 1937. On a side note, ironically Pallavicino was the designer of the Lambretta scooter, the main rival of the Vespa produced by the rival aviation firm Piaggio.

Yep. AFAIK, the Roman numerals were added later to rationalize Pallavicino's Ostro design series. The Ostro II dates to August 1936. It was powered by a 835 hp Isotta Fraschini Asso XI RC V-12 and had a span 12.00 m. Armament was twin 12.7 mm Breda-SAFAT machine guns.

The Ostro III of December 1936 was similar but powered by an Hispano-Suiza 12Y cdrs moteur-canon V-12. The Ostro IV of June 1937 returned to the I-F Asso engine but with its span reduced by a metre.

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Yep. AFAIK, the Roman numerals were added later to rationalize Pallavicino's Ostro design series. The Ostro II dates to August 1936. It was powered by a 835 hp Isotta Fraschini Asso XI RC V-12 and had a span 12.00 m. Armament was twin 12.7 mm Breda-SAFAT machine guns.
From, Caproni-Abate-Rosario-Gli-Aeroplani Della Caproni Aeronautica Bergamasca-Vol-1,

The Ostro I and Ostro II drawings.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    240.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 2.png
    2.png
    204.5 KB · Views: 82

hesham

Reaction score

Attachments

• Alamy.png
    Alamy.png
    892.1 KB · Views: 48

Hardrada55

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Project for Cassani barrel shaped diesel engines

hesham

Reaction score
You are right Hardada55,

and maybe it had been done by supercharge of Caproni-Bergamo ?!;

B8 / 110 motor mounting drawing pat. Cassani on hunting, 1938.
[SDF Historical archive of technical drawings, Treviglio (Bergamo)].

- I beni storico-aeronautici nel contesto del patrimonio culturale

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    444.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Apophenia

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
... maybe it had been done by supercharge of Caproni-Bergamo ?!; ...

This has no relationship with Caproni-Bergamo ... except for by being in the same province. Here, the reference is to the town of Treviglio in the province of Bergamo. Caproni Aeronautica Bergamasca was based 25 km away in Ponte San Pietro - in the western outskirts of the town of Bergamo (the capital of the province of the same name).

A minor point but drawings read 'SPICA GENOVA' ... and I'm finding this Tuscan location for SPICA S.p.A. (Società Pompe Iniezione Cassani e Affini) confusing.

Most other sources place SPICA in Tuscany. FWIW, it seems that from 1938 to the sale of SPICA S.p.A. in 1941, SPICA offices were in Livorno with its injection pump factory nearby Ardenza district. So, where does Genoa come into all this?

Relazioni internazionali, 7 Settembre 1940 - A. XVII, page 1681

"... l'ampliamento degli implanti de Livorno della Società anonima Spica [sic] per la produzione di pompe de iniezione per motori Diesel..."

iverson

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
... maybe it had been done by supercharge of Caproni-Bergamo ?!; ...

This has no relationship with Caproni-Bergamo ... except for by being in the same province. Here, the reference is to the town of Treviglio in the province of Bergamo. Caproni Aeronautica Bergamasca was based 25 km away in Ponte San Pietro - in the western outskirts of the town of Bergamo (the capital of the province of the same name).

A minor point but drawings read 'SPICA GENOVA' ... and I'm finding this Tuscan location for SPICA S.p.A. (Società Pompe Iniezione Cassani e Affini) confusing.

Most other sources place SPICA in Tuscany. FWIW, it seems that from 1938 to the sale of SPICA S.p.A. in 1941, SPICA offices were in Livorno with its injection pump factory nearby Ardenza district. So, where does Genoa come into all this?

Relazioni internazionali, 7 Settembre 1940 - A. XVII, page 1681

"... l'ampliamento degli implanti de Livorno della Società anonima Spica [sic] per la produzione di pompe de iniezione per motori Diesel..."

I'm guessing that SPICA had a subsidiary factory or supplier in Genova at some point. The company was based in Livorno after 1938, which is both in Tuscany and just down the coast from Genova.

Spica (Cassani & Associates Pump Injection Company) was established in 1936 in Milan to produce injection pumps for diesel engines. In 1938, Count Ciano bought the company to support Mussolini's anticipated war effort and moved it to Livorno. In 1941, the Fascist government's Institute for Industrial Reconstruction nationalized the company and placed it under the control of Alfa Romeo.

After the war, SPICA continued as an Alfa subsidiary, making automobile parts such as water and oil pumps, spark plugs, steering components, and mechanical fuel injection systems for diesel and gasoline engines. SPICA gasoline fuel injection was used mainly by Alfa's competition department until the late 1960s, when SPICA injection helped Alfa pass US emissions standards. In 1988 SPICA was absorbed into FIAT, along with Alfa, and soon sold off and closed.

I still regret failing to convince a boss of mine to NOT replace the SPICA injection on a beautiful, red Alfa GTV 2000 with Weber carburetors. He'd bought the car cheap from an ignorant used car dealer, and it ran perfectly. Like lots of US owners at the time, he thought he'd get more power by replacing "emissions stuff". He spent a lot of money, but the car never ran right.

See:

https://news.museofratellicozzi.com/spica/

Last edited: