It honestly looks more like a Loitering munitions than SAM's. It even has a Jet propulsion.

It honestly looks more like a Loitering munitions than SAM's. It even has a Jet propulsion.
Yes,that is in fact exactly what it is.
Initially when the first pictures of these weapons in component form were first shown there was speculation based on the laser proximity fuse that it was a short ranged sam system,possibly a beam rider.
Interestingly we`ve seen the "bow tie" type control surfaces used once before on a new precision guidance retro fit for the old iranian nazeat artillery rocket.

Those are interesting speculation. Tho i'm still have my doubt especially regarding the flight ceiling and the SAM roles. Martlet is being advertised as Air to surface weapon yet it also have laser fuze.

The "endurance" tactics is also source of doubt as it implies a pure pursuit kinematics which.. kinda doubt any anti aircraft missile would pursuit as it essentially requires ability to fly twice the range of when it used for a head-on attacks. Plus it's pursuing meaning that the target will always be opening. unless the missile can keep T/W to 1 or more i dont think it's a good tactics.

The turbojet it may also subject to Thrust lapse where it lost thrust as a function of altitude. the 51 Lb SLS Olympus turbojet it use would only have 20 Lb at 10 Km altitude.

Last edited:
New short ranged missile,9th dey,unveiled for the third of khordad sam system
E16PkLgXIAYIESj

maxresdefault.jpg

Interestingly there also appears to be a shorter ranged version of the sayyad 3 missile for the 15th khordad sam system.
1292180_750.jpg

Last edited:
Heres a recent vid of what looks very much like a "358" intercepting a scan eagle uav in yemen

This is at least the second time its been used to engage a uav,with a prior ch4 shoot down likely to its credit.

Ah! I'd been wondering about the role - as it could only intercept relatively slow and non-manoeuvring targets... but the idea that this design is intended to clear the sky of remotely piloted drones at medium/low altitudes makes a lot of sense!

It seems to me that the 358 missile category should replace the bulk of manpads in service. The advantage of the conventional manpad is perhaps in effectiveness against strafing fast fliers and a faster response time against pop up targets, while the 358 can deal with MALE drones designed to stay out of manpad range, or rotorcraft using standoff or pop up attacks.

MALE drones enables very low cost aerial control of the ground, and any ground force would need to neutralize this threat for the ground force to any chance at maneuver. Man packed missile is easy to hide, the design is not too expensive and it works.-

FBkKcknWYAU5OTG

1634121618679.png
FBleHtSXEAMcSZ1

Amazing video of the new iranian anti drone shorad system being tested.
From the looks of both the slo-mo portion of the vid and the resulting wreckage of the [literally gutted] drone,this sam system looks to be extremely accurate and could possibly be a hit-to-kill based system.
AD_08 .mp4_000005036.png
AD_08 .mp4_000030203.png AD_08 .mp4_000050197.png AD_08 .mp4_000057261.png AD_08 .mp4_000058263.png
I think I`d call that a Direct Hit.

Last edited:
I wonder if it might have been cheaper to have outbid Iraq for Gerald Bull and had him build Uber high ack-ack ;)

I wonder if it might have been cheaper to have outbid Iraq for Gerald Bull and had him build Uber high ack-ack ;)
Alas poor Dr Bull,if only he had been as good at picking his business associates as he was at designing artillery,then I`m sure that he would likely still be in the artillery design business today........rather than the pushing up daises business.;)
Oh,well....

I would call it Rehosted rather than manufactured or cloned. as everything looks exactly like TOR. even the Gas turbine generator in the back of the truck.
Yes,that was the first thought of a few people,however it doesnt really stack up.
For a start the iranians could`ve rehoused this at literally any time over the last decade plus that they`ve had it,so why now?.all rehousing gets them is a vehicle thats cheaper to maintain,but lacks the off-road capabilities of the tracked chassis.
Another possibility is that this is part of a deep modernisation,essentially replacing all of the old analogue and soviet era digital systems with a new iranian designed full digital rebuild and a rehousing onto a new vehicle,so this does make some sense.
Ultimately tho`,when one takes a close look between the 2 systems one can see numerous small differences in detail,and this does tend to indicate that theres more going on here than either just a rehousing or a modernisation.
1634146711999.jpeg
Heres a comparison pic between the turrets of an original tor m1 in iranian service,and the new dezful.
It becomes obvious very quickly when you look at them,that these are not exactly alike,and that in fact there are lots of small physical differences in detail between the 2 systems,which I think is not something that you would expect to see if this were merely a rehousing of the original tor m1 onto a new vehicle,or a modernisation of its electronics.

One of the new,tho still as yet unnamed,sam systems unveiled at the latest ad exercise
FBhKyxzXoAMBcPk_jpeg.jpg
Another vertical hot launch sam system,judging by the blast deflector.Hopefully in service it will be carrying more than 4 missiles.For some bizarre reason the iranians often seem to prefer go for the minimum number of weapons on a mount.
FBhKj48X0AMOSHA.jpg
The radar is interesting,it looks like it could have 2 sets of antennas.Theres the rotating antenna on top,and what looks like a fixed 4 panel antenna array underneath.

Last edited:
Heres a comparison pic between the turrets of an original tor m1 in iranian service,and the new dezful.
It becomes obvious very quickly when you look at them,that these are not exactly alike,and that in fact there are lots of small physical differences in detail between the 2 systems,which I think is not something that you would expect to see if this were merely a rehousing of the original tor m1 onto a new vehicle,or a modernisation of its electronics.

The differences may only involve replacing the apparently toolbox at the side of the "original" Tor-M1. They might have removed it to reduce the width of the vehicle. Similar thing Almaz Antey & India did to rehost TOR in Tata chassis.

1387528451_unnamed.jpg

You can compare with Those TOR's hosted in wheeled chassis with tracked one.

TOR-M2_SA-15D_short-range_surface-to-air_defense_misssile_system_Russia_Russian_army_925_001.jpg

Granted this is TOR M-2 but you can see the box is missing in the wheeled chassis.

This is trailer Tor-M1 variant.
Tor-M1-Towed-1S.jpg

Notice that it doesnt have that Side box attachements. Unlike the tracked variant.

So yeah i am not convinced at all.

Last edited:
FDn9kzLWUAAEEWj

New Joshan PESA radar,probably developed for 15th khordad variant,likely based on the 30N6E2 Tombstone radar.
FDrawHvWQAYOzBC

FDsjBW-agAEN8UP.jpg

Last edited: