Introduce Yourself

I am an old RAF service pilot from the 'last days of empire' who also spent a lot of time in the Far and Middle East, later civil aviation regulation, accident investigation and finally Boeing Flight Training.
My prime interset will be in the helicopter types I flew from 1964 to the turn of the century. They are now all in museums - and some of them should have been in museums when I was flying them!
Cheers!

I am an old RAF service pilot from the 'last days of empire' who also spent a lot of time in the Far and Middle East, later civil aviation regulation, accident investigation and finally Boeing Flight Training.
My prime interset will be in the helicopter types I flew from 1964 to the turn of the century. They are now all in museums - and some of them should have been in museums when I was flying them!
Cheers!
Welcome, I hope you have some good stories to share with us ! :)

Hi
My names Gary and I live and work in the North East of England.

I’ve been a aircraft spotter since 1986 and in that time I’ve seen a vast array of aircraft types in and around various USAF, European and RAF bases.

Im particularly interested in the USAF Aurora spy plane

Kind Regards

Welcome, I hope you have some good stories to share with us ! :)
I see the passage about the museum air force as a good story already.
More is wanted obviously. This is for many of us winter time after all.

Last edited:
Hey hey,

I'm Chris, based in QLD, Australia. I've been obsessed with aviation for almost 30 years now and I have amassed personal collection of books, manuals, drawings etc (and about 50 models that are yet to be built...). During the COVID lockdowns I got made redundant and spent a lot of my time on a youtube channel that focuses on interwar and early cold war aviation (my favourite periods) which somehow turned into a semi-fulltime job.

Currently, I'm working on two books (slowly), one that focuses on some of the strangest designs of the interwar period, and another which covers aircraft designed and built in Australia - a relatively uknown but highly diverse list.

I'm also a very passionate wildlife/aviation photographer in my spare time.

Very happy to be here :)

Hello, I am a student in Pedagogy in History and Social Sciences in the University of Santiago de Chile, and I joined the forum because I've always had an interest in planes, recently, that interest grew due to me starting to play a game called War Thunder, and it grew to the point of starting to read aviation books, and I found this forum very interesting as there's a lot of sources where I can read and get more Knowledgeable on the design and history of planes and design bureaus.

Hey hey,

I'm Chris, based in QLD, Australia. I've been obsessed with aviation for almost 30 years now and I have amassed personal collection of books, manuals, drawings etc (and about 50 models that are yet to be built...). During the COVID lockdowns I got made redundant and spent a lot of my time on a youtube channel that focuses on interwar and early cold war aviation (my favourite periods) which somehow turned into a semi-fulltime job.

Currently, I'm working on two books (slowly), one that focuses on some of the strangest designs of the interwar period, and another which covers aircraft designed and built in Australia - a relatively uknown but highly diverse list.

Hi Chris - do you know David Muir? In my correspondence regarding North American NA-110 Mustang sale I never quite understood details regarding the isssues encountered with tooling and processes before Mustang production could begin - both with kits and presumably production of GA 17 & 18s.

Do you have some insight on those?

Another question I have always had is why GA did not replace the six gun P-51D battery of .50 cal with the 2x20mm and 2x 50 cal that they wanted originally?

Hi there!

I'm Danilo Salgado, a 36 years old engineer from Brazil. My main interest are the WWII and Cold War combat aircrafts. Nowadays I'm looking for the WWII german aeronautical research.

Best Regards,
Danilo Salgado

Hello, I am Sotiris Kountouriotis, currently trying to complete my undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering with specilization in construction and design. I love aviation and I aspire to be on of the best engineers in the field. My diploma thesis is "Aerodynamic and Dynamic analysis of an aircraft in th transonic region". I am happy to be here and to learn as much as I can.
With best regards,
Sotiris

Hello, my name is Adarsh Senthil, and I am currently pursuing an undergraduate in Aerospace Engineering (about to complete it in the next semester). I discovered this site while looking for a research paper to use as a reference to select, and now I want to know more about the projects that never took to the skies, especially those that might have changed the course of history if they had come into production.

I hope to receive your guidance in the future.
Adarsh

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, my name is Adarsh Senthil, and I am currently pursuing an undergraduate in Aerospace Engineering (about to complete it in the next semester). I discovered this site while looking for a research paper to use as a reference to select, and now I want to know more about the projects that never took to the skies, especially those that might have changed the course of history if they had come into production.

I hope to receive your guidance in the future.
Adarsh
Welcome Adarsh, glad to see future engineers here.

Hi All…my name is Fred, 45, in Los Angeles, CA, USA. I split my time between IT and as a musician, and have been interested in aviation technology since I got my first Jane’s book in the mid 80’s. The speculative airframes of the day always piqued my interest most (still do), so excited to be a part of the site.

Hello everyone! You can call me Arti, Artivag or Arthur; Pretty much anything but late for dinner! I'm a (nearly) 46 year old resident of the Upper Midwest of the United States & sadly I'm already retired. (Health issues.) My entire life though I've been enamored with military aviation. Whether that means just learning about them or building model airplanes of them. As far as my favorite aircraft though, I have 3; The F4U Corsair, B-17 Flying Fortress & F-14 Tomcat. If we're going to stay within the realm of the primary topic matters in this forum then it would be the Ikarus IK-2, Boeing XB-15/XC-105 & Lockheed YO-3.

Today I tend to focus on aircraft from between 1930 & 1980 but with a special interest in aircraft that have seen operational "wartime" service specifically between those years. I don't mind trainers or cargo aircraft as few military forces can engage in operations without either possessing both. Furthermore some of those prototypes that would otherwise have not seen service sometimes get pushed off to such roles.

I'm a lifelong model builder with a couple of hundred models under my belt with the intent of at least doubling that before I start my new occupation as a daisy pusher! lol I keep my builds between 1930 & 1980 because I got tired of my build list just growing larger & larger. I look forward to browsing the forums, offering my 2 US Cents (1978 value) worth & learning about military aircraft projects that get far less attention than the showstopping types.

Hey hey,

Nice channel - a bit outside my preferred area of interest, but good work.

Nice channel - a bit outside my preferred area of interest, but good work.
Good of you to notice Rex's Channel; I love his work & have been a longtime fan of his. I've learned a considerable amount from him. You mentioned that you had interest in interwar period aircraft? I find that I'm rather fond of them too; Especially when you find bizarre circumstances where they're forced up on a wing & a prayer to face wartime long after they've been declared obsolete!

CS 33 (don't like my name being out there)
I live in South Carolina
My main interests are aviation of the 10s through 90s, so WW1, WW2, and Cold war with my primary interest mmbeing both German and Soviet designs and development. My ancestors fought on both sides during both wars so I dont fall for regurgitated he said she said crap.
I enjoy reading and doing research on the topics I find appealing. I also draw

Hello everyone !

I thought I already posted messages in this forum many years ago, but it appears that I am wrong o_O

My name is Yannick, I'm French. I'm the chief editor of a French defense magazine (DefTech) and deputy chief editor of a space magazine (Space International, also in French ;)).

For my personal interest, I'm exploring more and more alternate history subjects, especially concerning French navy (but not only).

Some of you (maybe @Archibald ?) may remember me from other what-if forums, many (maaaaany) moons ago :D

Hi, all, I'm Mark, and I'm the curator at the Lucille M. Wright Air Museum in Jamestown, NY.

We may just be a small town in Upstate NY, but we are quite proud of the fact that the top secret WWII TDR-1 drone was actually built in one of the hangers at the Chataqua County Airport. We even have the oak tail fin and the landing gear from one of the drones!

Hello,
I am Daniel, 60 years old, from Switzerland, interested in Late War Luftwaffe (44-45).
I'm glad to be here and to contribute if I can.
I wish everyone a Happy New Year !

Hello everyone !

I thought I already posted messages in this forum many years ago, but it appears that I am wrong o_O

My name is Yannick, I'm French. I'm the chief editor of a French defense magazine (DefTech) and deputy chief editor of a space magazine (Space International, also in French ;)).

For my personal interest, I'm exploring more and more alternate history subjects, especially concerning French navy (but not only).

Some of you (maybe @Archibald ?) may remember me from other what-if forums, many (maaaaany) moons ago :D

Yes. 2007 at whatifmodelers. That old scenario of mine, related to the Mirage F1M53 for the French Aéronavale... that pulled a Rafale then, that is it become the standard combat aircraft of both Aéronavale and Armée de l'Air. Replacing all the Mirages plus the Etendards, Jaguars, and the kitchen sink.

Yes, it was... :( La Nouvelle France, now I had tons of fun with that one.

Also when I used Kourou, French Guiana, as a ploy to get the French Navy and Aéronavale into a Falklands scenario - Les Malouines. Against Brazil (and Foch, the late Sao Paulo carrier) rather than Argentina. We have updated that scenario right here, I learned a lot about comparative strengths and weaknesses of Royal Navy and MN.

Hi I'm an Engineer working in the Automotive sector in the UK. I've had a long time interest in Aerospace and military jets. Have recently rediscovered the joy of scale modelling, with an eye on projects that were either cancelled too early, or never made it past the drawing board. Similar to others, I've lurked and hunted for information, but thought I should sign up and "show my face" as it were.

Hi Everyone,

My name is Ed, age 73 and I live in the Greater Vancouver area of B.C. I've had a life-long interest in aircraft, built lots of Airfix models in the 1960's, got my private pilot's license through Air Cadets. Although never involved in aviation or engineering during my working career (IT and IT management), I have never lost my interest in aviation. Also a long time interest in tabletop miniatures wargaming, mainly WW1 and WW2 naval with some WW1 air combat games. I happened on this forum while searching for additional information on the CF-105 Avro Arrow, one of the great lost opportunities in Canadian aviation history. Over the past several months I've been working my way through the trove of project documents at the National Research Council archives website, and I saw some of those were posted here. I've collected a lot of books on aircraft, including some specifically on never built US and UK post war designs. All very interesting stuff. I look forward to the information that appears in this forum.

Hello! First of all, I apologize for my bad English. Google helps me a lot :) I am 51 years old, a geographer. As a child I read everything I could find about aviation. At 14 I was taught to drive a Pisten Bull and my interests changed. I haven't had as much time to go around the mountains for a few years now and I'm making model airplanes again. I have always been interested in what cannot be learned from books. Or rather what you have to learn between the lines.

I guess I'll go by call sign Coga. I've had an interest in airplanes ever since I was a kid like I assume everybody did. My grandpa who died when I was very young, worked at Republic aviation in New York. Back when they had a full setup on Long Island. I even ended up finding the patent work for him as well. Growing up and even now I'd have to say my top three planes are the p38 lightning, the A10 "warthog", and the Blackbird.

Hi to all. I live in Seaford, Sussex (UK). As a youngster I made plastic models of aircraft and tanks...and went to air shows at Biggin Hill and Farnborough. My first career was in the army (34 years as a REME officer) which included 2 years at RARDE Chertsey (vehicles R&D site). Second career in Defence Industry and included time spent as a PM on airborne surveillance radar projects. I have been a Chartered Engineer and Fellow of IMechE. Now retired I am in the Sussex Military History Society.