High wing with rear mounted engines

Mike Pryce

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Does anyone know if any company ever studied an airliner/transport with a high wing and rear mounted engines?

The nearest thing I can think of is the Northrop X-21, but I'd like to know if anyone ever had the idea of putting flaps (the X-21 did not use them) in front of a fan.

Were there ever any high wing DC-9/BAC 111/727 etc. studies done?

4FxSI7ch.jpg

I had a look into this a year or so ago and found hardly anything. X-21 is the "realest" thing I could find. A few other more academic studies for airliners, sometimes with strut/truss braced wings.

Good to know it's not just me!

I did find a sort of attempt with a low wing. See inboard engine, and flap thing in front.
b2707landinggearldjsj.jpg

With the wing almost directly in line with the jet inlets, are we looking at 'really bad' turbulence, especially at some angles of attack ??

With the wing almost directly in line with the jet inlets, are we looking at 'really bad' turbulence, especially at some angles of attack ??
Not really i don't think. With engine line below the wing plane it more about operating in the downwash of the wing rather than particular vortex ingestion issues. Its more that the streamtube of air entering the inlet will change angle significantly with aircraft angle of attack and mode (e.g. flap setting)

I think the main reason there aren't more aircraft configurations like this is more down to the advantages/disadvantages in other areas. e.g. I'm not sure why you'd do this unless you wanted a lotmof uninterrupted fuselage real estate forwards for say side and downwards looking radars or for a big modular payload attachment that serves as the centre fuselage

That one has very high mounted engines. Very similar relative placement as per VC-10 but the wing and engines have been translated vertically upwards.