Hawker Hunter Precursor and Follow-on Projects

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Good evening dears,

do you hear about Supermarine 4040 tailsitter VTOL project ?.
some Hunter projects:
P.1090 : was to have had an afterburning de Havilland Gyron and increased sweep
on all surfaces.
P.1091 : it was combined an afterburning Sappher with a tailless delta.
P.1093 : was a completely new design,combining the Gyron,a nose intake and
a tailless delta configuration.
P.1097 : was a P.1083 with an RB106 engine.
P.1100 : had athin wing,an afterburning Avon and liquid-fuel rocket motors in the
trailling-edge roots.

Last edited:
I will complete the Hunter projects:
P.1109 :derivative of the F.6 with extended nose to house AI-20 radar and
provision for Firestreak air-air missiles.
P.1114 and P.1115 :derivative of P.1101 trainer as two seat fighter projects.
P.1120 :two seat trainer to replace Meteor and Vampire trainers.
P.1128 :five/six seat transport aircraft with standard Hunter wings.

Roy Braybrook mentions he designed a 4 seat Hunter transport project, which I've seen before, and a "poor mans U-2" based on the Hunter, which I don't think I've seen. He says they were both pretty rubbish :)

Air International, April 1978

The Hunter transport most likely is the P.1128 which I wouldn't quite call rubbish, but which would've had to evolve somewhat to become a viable aircraft. *chuckle* The folks over onthe "What-if" forum can testify that I've my own ideas for a four-seat Hunter variant.

The "Bizz-Hunter" P.1128 would have been in the same class, I think, as the Morane
Paris III, and perhaps could have been a start into the Bizz jet market.
Drawing based on Putnam Hawker Aircraft

Attachments

• P1128.GIF
    P1128.GIF
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,935
Hawker types

Attachments

• Hawker_P-1052.GIF
    Hawker_P-1052.GIF
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,386
  • Hawker_P-1083.GIF
    Hawker_P-1083.GIF
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,354
  • Hawker_P-1093.GIF
    Hawker_P-1093.GIF
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,411
Sorry for the all-weather Hunter, just found two projects for transonic and
super somic versions, the P.1083 and P.1093

Attachments

• P1083.GIF
    P1083.GIF
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,327
  • P1090.GIF
    P1090.GIF
    26.8 KB · Views: 573
Sorry, I always thought of it just as a Firestreak armed Hunter ...

Attachments

• P1109.GIF
    P1109.GIF
    22.5 KB · Views: 577
P1101 is the Two seat tadem style Hunter. Think the code applies to the side by side two seater that became the actual trainer

Hi,

the Hawker designed many projects to Hunter,and I spoke about
most of them in;
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,449.msg6233/highlight,p+1128.html#msg6233
The Hawker P.1091 was a Hunter with delta wing configuration.
http://www.flightglobal.com/PDFArchive/View/1976/1976%20-%201291.html?search=delta%20wing%20aircraft%20project%201950

Attachments

• P.1091.JPG
    P.1091.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 606
From putnam's 'Hawker' page 646 :-

"two Bristol Orpheus turbojets"

HTH,

cheers,
Robin.

A more detailed drawing of the Hawker P.1128 than the one I found in this thread.

I found this drawing used as the endpaper in the book Hawker Hunter Super Profile by M.J. Hardy, A Foulis Aircraft Book, Winchmore Publishing Services Limited 1985.

Attachments

• Hawker P-1128 3.jpg
    Hawker P-1128 3.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 1,497
  • Hawker P-1128 2.jpg
    Hawker P-1128 2.jpg
    593.1 KB · Views: 1,624
  • Hawker P-1128 1.jpg
    Hawker P-1128 1.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 1,754
Hi Falcon,

if this Model is your work,I say to you that; it's amazing work.

falcon said:
Its nice when a picture of one of your models ends up in a book. B)

I'm sure it is! Congrats Chris on this excellent model. I know it impressed me back when I first saw it!

Cheers guys.

The fuselage is a resin one made by TSRJoe and the wings and tail are from the old Airfix kit.

Paints were Xtracrylix and decals from the Xtradecal Hunter sheet.

Managed to find the old build thread when I posted it up on the old 'Unofficial Airfix Modellers Forum'.... http://gregers.fr.yuku.com/reply/24232/Falcons-Hunter-Builds#reply-24232

Pretty sure I have another of the fuselages somewhere to do another one, only problem is which markings do I pick. B)

Falcon... here are a couple of speculative profiles I did a while back for inspiration...

Zeb

hh-01.jpg

hh-02.jpg

zebedee said:
Falcon... here are a couple of speculative profiles I did a while back for inspiration...

Zeb

Neither profile appears in my browser. They appear to be solid grey bar on the left-hand side of the posting.

They appear to be solid grey bar on the left-hand side of the posting.

I sometimes get this, too, particularly when viewing older posts...
Using the most recent Firefox version.

cheers,
Robin.

The P.1083 and P.1091 projects from the Putnam book Hawker Aircraft since 1920:

Attachments

• P.1083 (project, 1951-1953).gif
    P.1083 (project, 1951-1953).gif
    80.2 KB · Views: 870
  • P.1091 (project).gif
    P.1091 (project).gif
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,367
An Aviation Week article from January 1953 stated that "The United States is ready to buy the Hawker Hunter in quantity under the first off-shore contract financed by the Mutual Security Agency, if Britain can offer the jet interceptors for delivery before June 1955."

Whatever happened to the plan, I don't know, but it sure would have been interesting to see Hunters in U.S. guise. I've seen what-if modelers do it in plastic but didn't realise it was actually based upon a serious proposal.

Attachments

• Hunter for US (from AW).jpg
    Hunter for US (from AW).jpg
    610.7 KB · Views: 692
I'm not sure, but maybe that was to be the USAF paying for the Hunters for a third party? I think the Belgian CF-100s were something like that.

I think that's the case - mutual defense aid (in its offshore procurement guise) allowed for US money to go towards the purchase of kit made in allied nations, either (and more usually) for the use of the nation in which the kit was built, or for a third party - but still allied, or considered friendly - nation to employ.

This, when you scroll down to the section 'United States Aid' has a bit more on the notion of the US buying non-US made kit for NATO allies and the reasons for it.

AFAIR, Britain buggerised around too long without a definitive production 'Hunter'..
..while pumping out mediocre Meatboxes en-mass..

- To the point where even the Australians got fed-up & modified the F-86 to accept Avon/Aden..

& the RAF to pick-up the Canadair-type F-86 like-wise..

JFCF #37: not only Hunter. Lord Ismay's book: Mutual aid in the military field can be considered as one of the greatest achievements of the Alliance. Charts show UK receiving $400Mn. and Euro-Aero, $400Mn - a different clutch of $ but UK did fine. Tools then supplied continued in use as we moved into civil competition with our benefactor, who had achived his objective - to deter Stalin from (our perception of his) objective of a thrust on Antwerp c.1955. Revisionist detractors dismiss this, as they dismiss Marshall Aid, as a cynical ramp to create Euro-market for US. Try telling that to the unemployed-of-Detroit, idled by VW, FIAT, Nissan, set up 1951-54 by their taxes.

Kit designated as NATO-Standard was not necessarily to be operated by US Forces, but was to create Euro production capacity to ease overload on US sites, maybe to licence US types (see F-86K/FIAT), maybe to build good-as, even better-than US types (Swift, soon Hunter were thus), maybe to build duplicate US (see Mystere IVA and Noratlas: US also supplied France with F-100C and C-119F). Swift, then Hunter were candidates for the new Luftwaffe, but US types were taken, ex-US, as our products drifted and plunged. Swift, then Hunter retained Denmark and (licenced) Belg/Neth., all partly $-funded, as was R&D for Hunter Mk.6, as was production of earlier RAF F Mks., as was triple-source tooling, Kingston/Blackpool/Baginton. Why do few of us know any of this? Because UK Aero has done a magnificent job of obfuscation - we wuz robbed! No.

As far as I can determine there were two versions of the P.1109: the P.1109A for AI Mk 20 trials (WW594/WW598), and the P.1109B (XF398) for Firestreak trials. All were nominally Hunter F.6s but all three were modified with extended noses to carry the AI Mk 20 radar, and (I presume) the P.1109B was additionally fitted for Firestreak.

Does anyone know whether the P.1109s were actually built as Hunter F.6s and subsequently modified, or whether they emerged direct from the production line as P.1109s ?

From Putnam book.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    252 KB · Views: 328
Thanks, but I don't think that excerpt answers the question of whether the P.1109s were modified on production line. It's incorrect as well - there were definitely three P.1109 built.

I have had a look in 'Hawker Hunter' by Barry Jones, Crowood 1998. In it, WW594 is explicitly identified as the third production F.6, WW598 as the seventh. After being modified to and used in P.1109A configuration, both were eventually refurbished to FGA.70A standard. They were then delivered to the Lebanese Air Force. Jones writes the sixth production F.6, XF378, not XF398(?) was modified to become the sole P.1109B. It was used in 1957 for test firings of Firestreak on the Llanbedr range. Two years later, it suffered fire damage and became a 'hangar queen'.