Hall XTBH-1

The aircraft was ordered as the double-mission XTBH-1 (torpedo-bomber) but was eventually delivered as the only ever TRIPLE-mission aircraft in the whole U.S. Navy inventory, the forgettable and forgotten XPTBH-2...

Attachments

• XPTBH-2.jpg
    XPTBH-2.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 556
From "seawings"

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    626 KB · Views: 511
Does anyone have information about Charles Spurgeon Hall, the inventor of these aeronautical innovations? I've just learned that I'm related to him...

Does anyone have information about Charles Spurgeon Hall, the inventor of these aeronautical innovations? I've just learned that I'm related to him...

The engineer behind the Hall Aluminum Aircraft Company of Buffalo, NY, was Cornell grad Charles Ward Hall. He was the also the son of Charles Martin Hall - the latter invented the electrolytic method of aluminum production (and founded Alcoa) so C. W. Hall came by his interest in aluminum honestly.

There was also a Charles S. Hall of Oakland, California, who patented designs for the Hall Engineering & Aircraft Construction Company of Reno, Nevada. I'm not sure that the 'S' was for Spurgeon ... but perhaps this was your relative?

-- https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/charles-s-hall-airplanes.26834/