Grumman G-xxx turboprop Albatross

boxkite

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I’m looking for the Grumman design number of this ”Albatross“ turboprop conversion. I only know it’s NOT the G-305 (another proposed four-engined turboprop flying-boat for ASW duties from 1961). Any idea of the G-xxx number?

SOURCE: “Der Flieger“ 11/1968

Attachments

• turboprop Albatross.JPG
    turboprop Albatross.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,553
boxkite said:
I’m looking for the Grumman design number of this ”Albatross“ turboprop conversion. I only know it’s NOT the G-305 (another proposed four-engined turboprop flying-boat for ASW duties from 1961). Any idea of the G-xxx number?

Four engines?

It doesn't surprise me, because four 750hp PT6 category turboprops were cheaper and lighter than a pair of Darts or T55s.

I do wonder what engines were being considered?

Dear boxkite,

I don't know that design now,and I will research about it for you,but
the ASW design was G-251.

For comparison, this is the mentioned G-305 from René Francillon’s “Grumman Aircraft since 1929” (Putnam), powered by four GE T64-GE-4.

Hesham, I only know of the existence of a projected G-215 (Nov 1959). Please, more detailed information on the G-251.

Attachments

• Grumman G-305.JPG
    Grumman G-305.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,302
My dear boxkite,

I will search about it to you,there are some Albatross designs:

G-191 Albatross for Germany.
G-231 ,, (CSR-110) for Canada.
G-234 ,, for USCG (UF-2G) and Argentina.
G-262 ,, for Japan.

Dear boxkite,

The Grumman G-251 was a version of G-231, which also entered service
with USCG,but I have not any picture,the only I find was for G-231,which
called G-111-2

Attachments

• GrummanG111-2.jpg
    GrummanG111-2.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 1,164
Dear boxkite,

the G-231 was also used as ASW aircraft for USCG and its variants
were G-234,G-270 and G-288, but I have no details.

boxkite said:
For comparison, this is the mentioned G-305 from René Francillon’s “Grumman Aircraft since 1929” (Putnam), powered by four GE T64-GE-4.

Hesham, I only know of the existence of a projected G-215 (Nov 1959). Please, more detailed information on the G-251.

The info about G-305.

Attachments

• G-305.png
    G-305.png
    171.2 KB · Views: 896
Could that Der Flieger image represent the unbuilt Frakes proposal to refit the Albatross with four 1,000 shp PT6As?

American Flying Boats and Amphibious Aircraft (pg 243) also mentions a proposal to re-engine the Albatross with four 1,100 shp Garrett TPE331s but doesn't name the company involved.

TinWing said:
boxkite said:

Four engines?

It doesn't surprise me, because four 750hp PT6 category turboprops were cheaper and lighter than a pair of Darts or T55s.

I do wonder what engines were being considered?

Could this have been a planned development aircraft for the Shin-Meiwa US-1/PS-1? I seem to remember that they used a Grumman Albatros to test hull designs.

Apophenia said:
Could that Der Flieger image represent the unbuilt Frakes proposal to refit the Albatross with four 1,000 shp PT6As?

American Flying Boats and Amphibious Aircraft (pg 243) also mentions a proposal to re-engine the Albatross with four 1,100 shp Garrett TPE331s but doesn't name the company involved.

Also avoid confusing Turbo-Albatross with the 5 Turbo-Mallards that Chalks Airlines flew out of Fort Laudrdale, Florida for many years. Chalks' Turbo-Mallard conversions only sported a pair of PT-6A engines. Sadly, Chalks' fleet of Mallards was grounded after a crash that was blamed on wing spars. Wing spars were cracked by metal fatigue or corrosion or a combination of the two.

Only a related note: did any military users hang Westinghouse J34 booster jets under their Albatross (similar to booster engines on P2 and C123)?

Last edited:
Yes, the 12 Grumman-Frakes G73T Turbo Mallard conversions predate Frakes' turbine Albatross proposal.

Flight mentions Chalk's desire for an Albatross turboprop conversion in Oct 1983. Airliners.net gives a date of 1986 for Frakes International's re-engined Albatrosses. Airliners.net repeats online mentions of unnumbered PT6As or "PW-120" turboprops. Can anyone confirm that PW120 proposal?

https://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1983/1983%20-%201832.PDF
http://www.airliners.net/aircraft-data/grumman-g-64111-albatross/233

New version being offered - see attached.

Attachments

• AIBI36NB_Albatross Technical Brief.pdf
    780.2 KB · Views: 120
From Aviation magazine 1975.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 205
  • 2.png
    2.png
    255.3 KB · Views: 172
  • 3.png
    3.png
    248.2 KB · Views: 205
Attached is a chapter from Wayne Mutza's "Grumman Albatross: A History of the Legendary Seaplane" that discusses the turboprop Albatross.

Attachments

• Turboprop Albatross.pdf
    143.9 KB · Views: 46
Good Day All -

From the Matt Rodina collection, a xerox copy of a proposed 4 PT6A powered Albatross. Based on the radar nose and interior arrangement, this is not the Frakes 4 engine proposal but may likely be the Grumman proposal.

I have a Frakes proposal summary for a 4 engined Albatross, date September 1985, addressed to a Michael Braunstein. This proposal is from Matt's collection and outlines a program where Frakes teams up with P&W Aircraft of Canada that lists four engine options - PT-6A-34, PT6A-42 and PT6A-61 and a twin engine option using the PW120. Interestingly, that is the only mention of the PW120 in the proposal - all the performance curves in the proposal are for the three PT-6A options. There was a single drawing in the proposal defining the engine/nacelle placement on the wing - I've attached that as well.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• Frakes 4 PT6 powered Turbo Albatross.jpg
    Frakes 4 PT6 powered Turbo Albatross.jpg
    519 KB · Views: 65
  • z4 Engine Albatross.jpg
    z4 Engine Albatross.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 99
My dear Mark,

what was the Grumman designation number for it ?.

In a couple of publications it was identified as Grumman HU-16F, however this is not a model number, but a US naval variant on the HU-16.

Back
Top Bottom