Soviet carrier fighters 1950s-1960s

lancer21

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
There is a discussion on soviet carriers but it deals mostly with western reactions.

I'm very interested in what possible Mach 2 carrier fighters the soviets would have built, the missing link between the MiG-19K Tigr planned for Pr. 85 carriers, and the MiG-23K and others such as Su-24K, T-10 projects etc. planned for the late 1960s- 1970s carrier project such as Pr. 1160/1153 or the smaller 1968 AVL design.

For the purposes of this timeline, let's assume that the soviets build a few Pr. 85 ships from about 1956, followed by something akin to a 30,000 ton PBIA (which will be Project something-something) from about 1961-62, followed by something like the 45,000-50,000 ton AVL from 1968 or so (which seems to look like a mini-Forrestal), then finally getting to designs like the 70,000-80,000 tons 1160/1153 in the 1970s, for which we have a good idea of the aircraft.

It seems that for economic/design burden reasons the soviets much prefered adapting existing types for carrier use. So with this in mind, which of the mostly MiG and Sukhoi prototypes/series production fighters could have been adapted for carrier use around 1960? MiG-21/Ye-8, or maybe the larger I-75 series, or Sukhoi designs such as the P-1, or T-49, or even T-58 derivatives etc.? What modifications would be feasible with the soviet technology of the day to reduce their landing and take-off speed? Blown flaps of larger size, perhaps double delta wing with LE slats?

For support aircraft, perhaps the Tu-91 would be still useful for ASW and AEW variants like Alize or Gannet? Though for the 1960s to equip the bigger AVL perhaps they would build something like a turboprop E-1 (with two Tu-91 engines), or even an E-2 like plane (sort-of like a much earlier Yak-44)?

There is the option of a clean sheet design, but this, like i said above, raises the issue of design/economic resources. Perhaps they can build a soviet equivalent to F-11F or F-8U, but it seems only Yakovlev would have design capacity to spare (MiG an Sukhoi were busy with lots of projects at this time), and not sure i would trust Yakovlev to design such a plane given their track record with the useless Yak-38, or the absymal Yak-28-64. And maybe i'm wrong, but their twins Yak-25/27/28 etc. weren't terribly good either.

PS: And while at it, could a decent carrier fighter be made out of the MiG-19? What kind of modifications would be feasible with the technology of the day? Would a bigger wing with larger flaps and LE slats be enough to improve take-off/landing speeds?

Last edited:
The Mig 23/27 would be my candidate for the late 60s.

Yes that is what happened in OTL. However i'm looking for reasonable/feasible ideas on the intermediate step between the MiG-19 Tigr and the MiG-23K, contemporary to the likes of MiG-21 or Su-9/11 etc. around 1960 or so. A kind of "think russian" approach.

I was looking at some french projects in about that timeframe and it seems they had no qualms about designing highly swept deltas for carrier use, there were Durandal and Mirage-III carrier projects. And iirc, they even planned to operate the large Mirage-IV off the planned PA-58? So it seems there is no big issue in flying and landing highly swept deltas off a carrier? Are there examples of a tailed delta supersonic carrier project?(the A-4 does not really qualify, it's neither supersonic nor highly swept)

I was looking at some french projects in about that timeframe and it seems they had no qualms about designing highly swept deltas for carrier use, there were Durandal and Mirage-III carrier projects. And iirc, they even planned to operate the large Mirage-IV off the planned PA-58? So it seems there is no big issue in flying and landing highly swept deltas off a carrier? Are there examples of a tailed delta supersonic carrier project?(the A-4 does not really qualify, it's neither supersonic nor highly swept)
Mirage IV M, navy heavy fitghter (1956-57 project):
-Length : 19,35 m
-Wingspan : 11,75 m
-Wing area : 70 m²
-empty weight ("equipped") : 9 585 kgs
-gross weight : 16 500 kgs
-powerplant : 2x6000 kgp (Atar 9)
Cancelled after cancellation of PA-58
Source : Les avions de combat français 1944-1960, volume 2, Jean Cuny, Docavia Larivière publishing, 1988, pages 112-113.

Mirage V, navy fighter (1957 project):
-Length : 15,75 m
-Wingspan : 9,40 m
-Wing area : 45 m²
-empty weigth : 6 554 kgs
-grosse weigth : 15 400 kgs
-powerplant : 8500 kgp (Super Atar)
Source : Les avions de combat français 1944-1960, volume 1, Jean Cuny, Docavia Larivière publishing, 1988, page 287.

Attachments

• Dassault Mirage IV  M.jpg
    Dassault Mirage IV M.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Dassault Mirage V.jpg
    Dassault Mirage V.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 63
That peculiar Mirage V - way to go. MiG and Sukhoi had plenty of tailed-deltas by the late 1950's: pre- MiG-21s, alt-MiG-21s, Su-9 derivatives.

There is also the Su-7 and - wait: it's VG variant. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Su-17

In 1963 the Sukhoi OKB with input from TsAGI created a variable-sweep wing technology demonstrator. The S-22I (also known as the Su-7IG, NATO designation "Fitter-B"), converted from a production Su-7BM, had fixed inner portions of the wing with movable outer segments that could be swept to 28°, 45°, or 62°.[1] The S-22I first took off (with Vladimir Ilyushin at the controls) on 2 August 1966. It was later demonstrated at the air parade in Domodedovo in July 1967.

A bit too late, but the Su-7 flew much earlier (09/1955) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Su-7

Can Sukhoi imagine a VG Su-7 earlier, for carriers ?

Well when developing the T-5 a variant with more wing area and bigger flaps might be the step in the right direction.

I was indeed thinking that preferably the Mach 2 interceptors should be twin-engined for more safety over the sea (though later they had no issue with navalizing the single engine MiG-23). Also, since likely the soviets will want a missile armed interceptor, the available radar options at this time are the TsD-30/RP-9/21, RP-11/15 Oryol, and the new RP-22. The Smerch seems to be too big though?

So a T-5 or even a T-58/Su-15 derivative seems to fit. However would they not be too big for what is still a small carrier by the standards of the day?

Another option might be perhaps a further improved MiG-19 such as based on the SM-12PM variant, which could carry the TsD-30 radar. And while the range of the MiG-19 is short, those rocket pack configurations show that a conformal ventral fuel tank can be adopted? Pakistani J-6s had such a conformal tank later. On the other hand, given the proposed timing of the Pr. 85 carriers, perhaps it could be likely that the MiG-19K Tigr might based on the SM-12 (with a Ye-6 style air intake).

Man i wish there would be at least a hint as to what designs they were looking at for the PBIA in 1959-60.

The tailed delta (even with the tail) had high landing speed. And the twin jets were huge and heavy.

There really isn’t a realistic intermediate step to be had. The MIG-19 and MIG-21 are really bad matches for carrier compatibility, even in amended versions.
The bigger heavier contemporary Sukhoi’s are even worse.
Specifically re: landing speed, low speed handling characteristics for approach etc.
And that’s not even thinking about the size and characteristics of the carrier (which are likely to to be less than ideal).

It’s not until the MIG-23 and Su-17 generation you see designs that have any real scope for conversion into carrier-compatible designs.

If it is a absolutely necessity than you could probably take a MIG-21MF as the basis for such a design but likely you have to radically change so much (bigger wings, fuselage changes, etc.) that it’s not really the same design anymore and the process is likely to at best produce a marginal carrier aircraft of significantly inferior performance to a MIG-21MF.

Last edited:
The Royal Navy was still using the Wyvern prop as a strike aircraft in the 50s.
The Soviets might have used a propeller driven design in the same role?

Yes that is what happened in OTL. However i'm looking for reasonable/feasible ideas on the intermediate step between the MiG-19 Tigr and the MiG-23K, contemporary to the likes of MiG-21 or Su-9/11 etc. around 1960 or so. A kind of "think russian" approach.

MiG-21 with a nice, big wing for the starters? With dog tooth, slats, Fowler flaps? Does not have to do exactly Mach 2, but Mach 1.8 (due to the draggier wing) is still very nice, talk "F8 Crusader nice"?
Two smaller strakes undere the tail instead of one big so the hook can be installed?

MiG-21 with a nice, big wing for the starters? With dog tooth, slats, Fowler flaps? Does not have to do exactly Mach 2, but Mach 1.8 (due to the draggier wing) is still very nice, talk "F8 Crusader nice"?
Two smaller strakes undere the tail instead of one big so the hook can be installed?
Having looked at the soviet technological level in this period, apart from highly swept and delta wings, they were also working on moderate sweep wings, suich as on Ye-155 and Sukhoi S-6. As far as carrier operations are concerned, a moderate sweep wing with LE devices, blown and double slotted flaps etc. is the most suitable isn't it?

So in typical soviet fashion, they could take a suitably downscaled Ye-155 wing modified as above, maybe even dog-toothed like on F-8, and put it on MiG-21, or Ye-8, or side-intakes Ye-8M etc. Or Sukhoi could take a downscaled S-6 wing and put in on a Su-15 airframe, or P-2 etc. etc. (probably the AL-7F can't be trusted for carrier use).

Or even more extreme, suitably downscaled single or twin engined mini Ye-155 (made from aluminium, for Mach 2 only) or mini S-6 as carrier based interceptors? Or in american terms, a sort of mini A-5 (which apparently did provide some inspiration for Ye-155 and possibly S-6). Though these would be new designs with the attendant extra workload.

Such a pity i can't do drawings like other people do, would love to have a try at the designs above.

Purga%20I-1.png

Back in the day, I did my own iteration of downsized Ye-155 for carrier-borne interceptor Far Eastern Republic alternative universe project.

Great stuff, many thanks Gollevainen. If you have any more of these kind of iterations in your collections, please do post! A picture is worth 1000 words as they say, especially in the case of hypothetical airplanes.

Such a pity i can't do drawings like other people do, would love to have a try at the designs above.

Chinese F7 have had a wing that should've been suited much better for the low speeds than what the original MiG-21 had.
Have the MiG bureau combine the cranked wing from the F-7G with Fowler flaps from the earlier F-7B and the low speed beghavior becames far better for the MiG-21.

Or a wing similar to that of the JL-9, which in it's initial form seems to have the outer panels redesigned. There is also a JL-9G variant for carrier training with i believe a further modified wing with LE devices. I think any of them would have looked really nice on the MiG-21 or Ye-8.