Grumman G-235 "Gadfly" & Model134E "VTOL Mohawk" tilt-wing aircraft

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
I recall a couple of pictures of designs for VSTOL versions of the Grumman Mohawk (one with tilt wing and another(I think from Boeing) with a VSTOL swing wing design?
Was this in answer to a requirement in the US or were the aircraft simply speculative ventures in the early 60s. The Boeing design is typically 60s like a flattened Mohawk with wswing wings and blended jets.
The pictures were in a German bound volume that I had nicked in Charing Cross Road about ten years ago because I foolishly had it in a bag that looked like a laptop bag. Still I always like to imagine the look on some yob's face when he found himself looking at Flieger Stoff Bumpf instead of a Toshiba or whatever.

UK 75

That reminds me on a version of the Canadair CL-84, designated CL-84E,
designed with CAS in mind and very close to a tilt wing Mohawk, Maybe there
was a US/canadian relation ? ???

(drawing from Flugrevue .6.66 )

Attachments

• CL-84E.gif
    CL-84E.gif
    52.5 KB · Views: 617
The Squadron/Signal "... In Action" book on the oV-1 has a picture of the model. I believe the tilt-wing version went with four engines for improved redundancy.

From Putnam, Grumman Aircraft

Attachments

• VTOL-Mohawk1.jpg
    VTOL-Mohawk1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 511
  • VTOL-Mohawk2.jpg
    VTOL-Mohawk2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 454
  • VTOL-Mohawk3.jpg
    VTOL-Mohawk3.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 460
  • VTOL-Mohawk4.jpg
    VTOL-Mohawk4.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 180
As ever, thanks for the really helpful info in the Grumman tilt wing variant. Does anyone have anything on the Boeing design?

UK 75

The two color photos show a 4-engine variant of the Grumman Gadfly, which was originally a 2-engine project. I think this design was intended as a proof-of-concept for the Grumman 134E VTOL Mohawk (see b&w illustrations) but am not certain. I am hoping someone has more Gadfly info, such as Grumman design numbers, history and specs. Thank you.

Attachments

• VSTOL Mohawk Dwg.jpg
    VSTOL Mohawk Dwg.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 471
  • VSTOL Mohawk 2.jpg
    VSTOL Mohawk 2.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 454
  • VSTOL Mohawk 1.jpg
    VSTOL Mohawk 1.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 510
  • Grumman Gadfly 02.jpg
    Grumman Gadfly 02.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 557
  • Grumman Gadfly 01.jpg
    Grumman Gadfly 01.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 593
Better pictures of the Grumman Gadfly house model. The cockpit would have been a cramped place, with all the tilt-wing, powerplant and other control mechanisms running through it, not to mention the wing support structure.

I remember reading that an appropriately balanced Gadfly could be rested on its tailwheel for shorter STOL takeoffs.

If anyone has Grumman Aircraft Since 1929 by René Francillon (Putnam), I believe there is a 3-view drawing of a Gadfly variant in the design studies section, towards the end of the book.

Attachments

• Grumman Gadfly 03.jpg
    Grumman Gadfly 03.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 164
  • Grumman Gadfly 04.jpg
    Grumman Gadfly 04.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 161
  • Grumman Gadfly 05.jpg
    Grumman Gadfly 05.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 161
Interesting.....
The Gadfly in the book, on page 565, only has two propellors,
identified as the Model 234-4,
see below.

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• twin prop gadfly.jpg
    twin prop gadfly.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 175
Very nice, but I have a problem with the designation: G-234 is supposed to designate an export version of the Grumman Albatross for the US Coast Guard (UF-2G) and Argentina!

robunos said:
Interesting..... The Gadfly in the book, on page 565, only has two propellers, identified as the Model 234-4.

The earlier, twin-engine Gadfly was only VTOL-capable, because of rotor clearance, like the V-22 Osprey. The 4-engine Gadfly was developed to add conventional and STOL capability to the aircraft. As mentioned earlier, I suspect it was intended as a proof-of-concept for the tilt-wing Mohawk 134E, but am not certain. I also don't have a Grumman model number for the 4-engine Gadfly.

[Now I do... It's the Grumman G-235-5, from September, 1959]

My mistake, I typed the wrong number, just re-checked, it is 235-4, as the picture says...... :-[

cheers,
Robin.

3-view drawing of the Grumman G-235-5 Gadfly (Sep. 1959). Benefit over twin-engine G-235-4 is CTOL capability. See model photos of G-235-5 on reply #1 of this thread.

Attachments

• Gadfly G235-5 3-View sml.jpg
    Gadfly G235-5 3-View sml.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 513
Hi,

here is an artist drawing to G-134E VTOL aircraft.

Attachments

• GrummanDesign134TiltWingMohawk2.jpg
    GrummanDesign134TiltWingMohawk2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 349
Grumman G-235-7 Gadfly factory model. Civilian-grade pitch rotor now has a protective shroud. [Source]

Attachments

• Grumman G-235-7 Gadfly.png
    Grumman G-235-7 Gadfly.png
    500.3 KB · Views: 224