Gotha P 60 flying wing projects

not the same concept....it's a high reynolds "supersonic airfoil".....all project of flying wings of 45 are subsonic....with "low reynolds" airfoil designed...the turbojets engines was not powerfull....without postcomb...

topspeed3 said:
here is the P.60 lay out;

p60acut1.gif

Also this P.60 like Ho-229 features a pretty heavy nose gear. Looking at the side view you can locate the CG by looking at the main gear position. CG has to be at very front end of the engines.
What is a leading edge flap..anyone know ? How do those drag rudders operate ?
Credit my drawing,please ::)

Drawing is by Justo Miranda. ;D Nice drawing..have to hand it to you.

Please did you make all that just up...or are there facts too ?
Leading edge flaps...and internal set up ?

Hey Gery !
I took the document on my computer with image of the definetinely original paper ( from LUFT46 with allied analysis ) and I got the lenght of the plane to be 9050 mm...when span is set at 12200 mm...and also the long leading edges seem to be at 51 degree angle. So there apparently ought to be more wing behind the engines than on the other illustration with details lets us to believe.
I could study it a bit more too.

rgds,
juke

Here are them above each others...and I also checked the the BMW 003 engine is 200 mm too long when the scale is 1:1 that means 6%.

Attachments

• GOTHA_P.60_CORRECTION.jpg
    GOTHA_P.60_CORRECTION.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 606
Has it been settled that the Gotha Go P 60 was a real project or not?

And if it has, can the topic now be moved to the Early Projects section?

Even me, with quite a scepticism about a lot of those fancy German WW II projects thinks, that
the P.60 actually was a "real" project by Gotha, at least in the sense, that engineers/designers
worked on a flying wing project with this designation.
The problem, that actually led to this thread, to my opinion is, that the drawings, that can be found
too often are taken literally, although often just sketches may have survived, if at all and the conclusion,
topspeed3 mentioned in #5 may not be quite wrong here. We discussed the reasons for the enormous
amount of German projects from the end of WW II over and over again here in this forum, so I think,
there's no need to do it again here.

I think Gery wanted to model it so here is the engine correction done...and sweep change.

Attachments

• GOTHA_P.60_engine_CORRECTION.jpg
    GOTHA_P.60_engine_CORRECTION.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 568
Don't know, if "correcting" the design is the best way to start with. To my opinion, a look at the available data and
drawings would be more helpful. Try to find out, what actually was drawn by the Gotha designers. Maybe, the drawings
we have, are "post '45" and just based on descriptions, vague sketches and very few hard data. Then a new attempt for
a reconstruction could be worthwhile.
But generally "correcting" a given design may be interesting for alternate history fans, but not for those interested in aviation
history. Don't believe, that in some years someone may come up with the "true" design of the Rockwell XFV-12, because he
corrected it in a way, that it would achieve VTOL then ! Sometimes we have to accept, that a design was a failure, although
it was an authentic project. "Improving" such a design has nothing to do with history, which without doubt is the main interest
of this forum.

Jemiba said:
Don't know, if "correcting" the design is the best way to start with. To my opinion, a look at the available data and
drawings would be more helpful. Try to find out, what actually was drawn by the Gotha designers. Maybe, the drawings
we have, are "post '45" and just based on descriptions, vague sketches and very few hard data. Then a new attempt for
a reconstruction could be worthwhile.
But generally "correcting" a given design may be interesting for alternate history fans, but not for those interested in aviation
history. Don't believe, that in some years someone may come up with the "true" design of the Rockwell XFV-12, because he
corrected it in a way, that it would achieve VTOL then ! Sometimes we have to accept, that a design was a failure, although
it was an authentic project. "Improving" such a design has nothing to do with history, which without doubt is the main interest
of this forum.

Exactly what I did. I used the RLM drawing under the Miranda's drawing to make it look like what is apprently was going to be like.
Maybe Miranda then tunes his sketch to same direction..as it is the known drawing of the bird in public.

Is this a real project or just a fake kit?

Attachments

• 6753_rd.jpg
    6753_rd.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 369
Gotha P.60 C was real project at end of WW2

although this feature two engines vertical line up, one on top of fuselage and one direct under it on underside
this here show the two engines parallel on top of of fuselage, what give some advance for maintenance and lower landing gear.

but i don't now if this design feature are real on P.60C

The P.60c did exist and had two pilots (one behind the other, in a normal non-prone position). Most drawings I've seen of the P.60 show one engine on top and one below the fuselage.

The fact that the box calls it the 'raptor' doesn't inspire confidence (It wasn't developed enough to get a nickname). So, I'm leaning towards post-war creativity for most of the details in this kit (but I could be wrong).

Is this a original drawing?

And...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgn49NOaIas

Attachments

• p%2060%20b.jpg
    p%2060%20b.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 224
  • pag%2015.jpg
    pag%2015.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 104
  • gop60c-2.jpg
    gop60c-2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 84
Hi,
here is interesting COMPARISONS OF THE Horten 229 AND THE Gotha P-60 ALL-WING AIRPLANES: http://www.luft46.com/gotha/229vsp60.html

Attachments

• Av_G_4602_Yrbk_Gotha_p131_W.png
    Av_G_4602_Yrbk_Gotha_p131_W.png
    331.7 KB · Views: 777
Vladimir said:
Hi,
here is interesting COMPARISONS OF THE Horten 229 AND THE Gotha P-60 ALL-WING AIRPLANES: http://www.luft46.com/gotha/229vsp60.html

Nice find Vladimir,and from AW;

http://archive.aviationweek.com/image/spread/19451002/87/2

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    114.2 KB · Views: 713
  • 2.png
    2.png
    94.6 KB · Views: 704
A few profiles:

Attachments

• P60C7.jpg
    P60C7.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 603
  • P60C8.jpg
    P60C8.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 584
Hesham,

thx for the aviationweek link; this is a great find because it is certainly based on interrogation reports and is therefore a kind of original source.

In my files,

there was anther variant for Gotha P.60,rather than A,B & C versions.

hesham said:
In my files,

It's Gotha P.60R,a two-seat flying wing interceptor and heavy day fighter,a design modification
of the P.60A fighter that had one HWK 509A rocket engine,mounted between the two BMW 003
turbojets,which could be installed either over or under the large wings.

hesham said:
hesham said:
In my files,

It's Gotha P.60R,a two-seat flying wing interceptor and heavy day fighter,a design modification
of the P.60A fighter that had one HWK 509A rocket engine,mounted between the two BMW 003
turbojets,which could be installed either over or under the large wings.

I don't know what your files consist of but there was no P-60R. And only the P-60 B and P-60 C were considered for installation of rockets. This is my source (see attached).

Attachments

• P60 contents.jpg
    P60 contents.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 104
OK my dear Dan,

give me up tomorrow to find my source,and send the evidence.

The Gotha P.60R is a real Project,the source;

Jet Planes of the Third Reich - The Secret Projects-volume one

Attachments

• 60.png
    60.png
    446 KB · Views: 579
hesham said:
The Gotha P.60R is a real Project,the source;

Jet Planes of the Third Reich - The Secret Projects-volume one

Griehl got some things right and some things demonstrably wrong. The period documents I've seen suggest to me that he got this one wrong. The project brochure is clear (see my earlier post) - you have the P-60 A, the P-60 B, the P-60 B mit R-Gerat, the P-60 C and the P-60 C mit R-Gerat. Even if the 'A' had been proposed with supplemental rocket engines, wouldn't it have just been the 'P-60 A mit R-Gerat'?

OK my dear Dan,

and it's not a big mistake,we can say P.60B-R or P.60C-R,but he meant there was
a real version of P.60 with rocket engine plus jets,and that's the point.

hesham said:
OK my dear Dan,

and it's not a big mistake,we can say P.60B-R or P.60C-R,but he meant there was
a real version of P.60 with rocket engine plus jets,and that's the point.

Certainly there was a P-60 B mit R-Gerat and P-60 C mit R-Gerat. I was leafing through Justo's Ultimate Flying Wings of the Luftwaffe the other day and there are a whole host of different P-60 types in there, including a P-60 A with rocket engines, although the drawing was marked 'speculative'. One thing I can say is that Justo is on the money with the two-seater P-60 C. It appears that between the issuing of the brochure I've got in mid-March 1945 (where it is a tandem arrangement two-seater) and the assessment of the submitted designs for the night and bad weather competition in late March, the P-60 C grows another seat and becomes the more familiar three-seater arrangement.

A "P-60 B (or C) mit R-Gerät" to my opinion can be turned erroneously into a "P-60R" quite
quickly. I once read, that the Fw 190 F-8/R3 (two Mk 103 guns under the wings) was
reffered to as "190R3" by pilots and technical stuff.
Maybe here something similar happened ...