German stealth - TDEFS and FTTU

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

The Daimler-Benz Aerospace designed a new project in
1997 for European combat aircraft,and its concept was
known as FTT (Flying Technology Platform).

http://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1997/1997%20-%201652.pdf

Attachments

• DASA FTT.JPG
    DASA FTT.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 860
Interesting that I was not able to find it here so.... After cancellation of the Lampyridae project, the newly established DASA company launched the project TDEFS (Technology Demonstrator for Enhancement and Future Systems). Once again it was faceted stealthy demonstrator, but a much universal then Lampyridae, optimized for the european battlefield. The second important change was the using of the two engines. The basic concept was tested on a serie of the small models in high speed wind tunnel called FTTU (Fliegender Technologie - Trager Unbemannet). But in this time the faceted technology was evaluated against curves as obsolete and the program was cancelled.

My question is, if anybody has any details, preferably a 3 view showing the intakes and/or exhaust nozzles.

Attachments

• image014.jpg
    image014.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 725
  • image015.jpg
    image015.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 732
  • MBB-DASA FTTU-1[1].jpg.JPG
    MBB-DASA FTTU-1[1].jpg.JPG
    5.3 KB · Views: 2,246
After those months I forgot that the best place to start the search are my HDDs ;D Okay, for the beginning, here is one picture with the air intake.

Attachments

• TDEFS windtunnell1.jpg
    TDEFS windtunnell1.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 833
oh, this is great one for this weekend

The next time somebody wants to insist that a single-tail design can't be stealthy, can we link to this thread?

Gavin said:
The next time somebody wants to insist that a single-tail design can't be stealthy, can we link to this thread?
Well, a single-tailed design would have the potential to be even stealthier than a two-tailed design in the frontal hemisphere, since there would be one less structure there to reflect radar waves. On the downside, the RCS of the side hemispheres of a single-tailded aircraft would be much larger than a similar aircraft with two canted tails. If I remember correctly, you can get about a 1,000-fold decrease in RCS on a flat planar surface by canting it by only 8 degrees relative to an on-looking radar.

Kryptid said:
Gavin said:
Well, a single-tailed design would have the potential to be even stealthier than a two-tailed design in the frontal hemisphere, since there would be one less structure there to reflect radar waves. On the downside, the RCS of the side hemispheres of a single-tailded aircraft would be much larger than a similar aircraft with two canted tails. If I remember correctly, you can get about a 1,000-fold decrease in RCS on a flat planar surface by canting it by only 8 degrees relative to an on-looking radar.

Depends on where are you looking from ;)

The single tailed can be even stealthier than the canted ones for a SAM radar...while the canted ones are showing all the fin surface to the antenna

is the RCS of the fin(s) that great anyway, if it's made of radar transparent composites?

cheers,
Robin.

Because of the topic splitting, pictures reposted once again.

Attachments

• a6kb-c.jpg
    a6kb-c.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 229
  • a6kb-d.jpg
    a6kb-d.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 177
  • TDEFS windtunnell2.jpg
    TDEFS windtunnell2.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 189
Correction of my previous post about the names for the programs:

FTT (Flying Technology Platform) - original German effort done by DASA
FTTU (Fliegender Technologie - Trager Unbemannet) - small models for the windtunnel testing
TDEFS (Technology Demonstrator for Enhancement and Future Systems) - proposed international effort to build a manned demonstrator, DASA didn't success in finding the partners for it.

Attachments

• MBB-DASA FTT (1995).jpg
    MBB-DASA FTT (1995).jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 250