French-Brazilian BR-1 and BR-2 Launchers

TheKutKu

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
In the 70s, Brazil was slowly trying to develop its space technologies, which resulted to the Brazilian Complete Space Mission (MECB) program and the ill-fated VLS-1, but while digging a bit around it, I found that before deciding on the VLS design circa 1980, there was a period of time of a few years where France and Brazil were closely cooperating with the goal of jointly developing a launcher.

Some introduction to it in english
https://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/12739 (p. 100)
And it being named (Projeto BR-2) in French (just says that CNES - French space agency - and French industrials were involved)

https://www.researchgate.net/public...l_e_a_Franca_na_Exploracao_do_Espaco_Exterior
An interesting and detailled Portuguese-language paper talking about it
some additional documents talking about it

The context of these programs were Franco-Brazilian partnerships starting in 1967 that had already resulted in preliminary studies on the Natal Ariane tracking station as well as high altitude balloons; and the 2nd Basic Plans for Scientific and Technological Development (PBDCT) in 1976; In july 1976 the Brazilian Space Activities Commission (COBAE) and CNES signed an accord to study a "Complete Space Mission". The CNES proposed the BR-1 Project, which would include the building of three launchers and three satellites.

The BR-1 Franco-Brazilian launcher would use
-S1 derived from the Améthyste L17 of the Diamant BP4
-S2 had three choices: either the P4 second stage of the Diamant BP4 (itself derived from the IRBM RITA), or a similar, brazilian made P4 upper stage of 1.5m ⌀, or a brazilian made P4 upper stage of 1m ⌀.
-S3 would use the P07 stage, "used by the Diamant", there is some confusion about whether this would be the Diamant BP4's P068, or if it is the P07, a planned Ariane 1 fourth stage to launch Exosat, eventually cancelled when it was launched on a Delta 3000.

Payload to LEO would be 150kg, vs 115kg for Diamant BP4.

If the French S2 was to be used, then this launcher (which would substantially be a Diamant BP4) could be launched as early as 1982 with a franco-brazilian satellite, but only out of Kourou because of the military nature of the S2; If a Brazilian S2 was selected, then the NET date would be 1985, but a launch from Brazil was possible. The cost of the program was estimated between $230 million - $500 million USD depending on the chosen architecture.

This project would evolve into the BR-2, which kept the same basis, but with a new launcher, its first meeting was in march 1979.
There is confusion about whether the BR-2 would be a Three (the researchgate link) or two (the two below) stages launcher, but either way they shared the same liquid S1 with solid upper stage(s)

The First stage would be a 40 tons, 2.2m ⌀ stage powered by a single Viking 5 engine (N2O4/UDMH);
There is no information on the second stage
Payload to LEO would be 250kg

The three launches would be from a space center in Natal, but the possibility of using Kourou or another space center in Brazil was considered.
The three earth-observing satellites would have a lifespan of 2 years, with one of them 3-axis-stabilised and launched on a polar orbit.
Launches would happen in the 1987-1989 period.

Activity on the BR-2 was "intense" from march to july 1979, on the french side, Aerospatiale and SEP were involved.
The cost of the BR-2 was significantly higher, and needed large infrastructures to handle the hypergolic fuel.

The french were willing to make significant concessions, however there was a main disagreement on the fuel of the first stage, the Brazilian industry and military prefered a solid-powered S1, which would have more industrial synergy with their relatively succesful sounding rocket and Export-oriented MLRS programs; meanwhile the french considered these programs as an opportunity to keep producing Diamant stages or Viking engines for the foreseeable future (the transition between Diamant BP4 and Ariane 1 was a tough one, and later, in the 2000s, the end of the viking production line caused layoffs for SEP/SNECMA/Safran). Neither side were willing to yield on this point.
There also was uncertainty over the possibility of propulsion technology transfer, maybe not without reasons, 10 years later, the MTCR would shut down Arianespace's attempt at selling Viking engines to brazil.

After a trial period, in November 1979, the Brazilians decided to go for an indigenous program, which would be cheaper ( $482M USD, vs $1.7B USD for the Franco-Brazilian program, with about a billion paid by brazil), this indigenous program became the VLS.

I would appreciate if anyone had more information on these projects, including technical documents or drawings.

Personally I think it's a shame that France's and Brazil's space programs didn't become closer, with both countries' space infrastructures 1000 km from each other, there was potential for significant synergy and integration.

Pierre Condom - Brazil aims for self-sufficiency in space - Interavia - Vol 41 (No 1) (January 1986), pp. 99-101.

Brief excerpt at Google books says this (attachment)
space agency CNES to explore the possibility of acquiring hardware used in the first stage of the French Diamant rocket .

More from Google books. Quick search over a decade. https://www.google.com/search?q="br...lnt&tbs=cdr:1,cd_min:1978,cd_max:1988&tbm=bks
Brought another document, this time from 1978. "Space age review "

Attachments

• content.jpg
    content.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 9
  • content.png
    content.png
    9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Valois (Diamant BP4 engine) and Viking (Ariane) were loosely related if only because they were build by the same people, same company, same place, a few years apart. Major difference to double the thrust was the introduction of a turbopump rather than pressured-fed. The "V" in the name that persist to this day (Vinci !), reaches back as far as Véronique in the 1950.
This, because of Vernon... the SEP homeplace. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernon,_Eure

I'm not really surprised France tried to sell older Valois technology to nascent space powers. It was lower risk than Viking - although BR-2 proves Viking wasn't an issue either.

And you're right the Diamant - Ariane transition was difficult. What happened was the first oil shock, quickly followed by the untimely death of De Gaulle former PM and groomed successor: George Pompidou, in April 1974 (Waldenstrom: same illness that killed the Shah and his PM plus Golda Meir and Boumediene - within less than a decade ! - go figure )

This triggered a presidential election but De Gaulle party was incapacited - first time since 1958. While the left had to wait for 1981, a shift happened within the right - away from Gaullism, tward center-right. It didn't helped that gaullist Chirac stabbed Gaullist candidate Chaban-Delmas in the back: picking instead the center-right non-gaullist candidate... because it was better than the left, and also because he had been promised the PM job (he regreted it, resigned in anger in 1976 and stabbed Giscard in the back in 1981 - for the left !!)
And so Chirac supported Valery Giscard D'Estaing: formerly a finance minister, hence a true bean counter... and France very own Jimmy Carter in the end, humiliating defeat in 1981 included.

Giscard, a bean counter, inherited a) from a post oil-shocked France and b) big and beautiful and expensive Gaullists technocratic projects - nuclear, TGV, Concorde, Airbus, Ariane, Mercure and a whole bunch of others - some pertinent, others money pits or black holes.

It happened that Giscard didn't initially belived in space, and thus he started cutting the fat. Diamant was an early victim after its last launch in September 1975, but the shock therapy to CNES was too brutal, even more when Ariane was threatened. End result: CNES went on strike late June 1976, his director resigned in anger, and a crisis boiled up. It was solved in the end, but left some scars.

Last edited:
The BR-2's S1 description, 40 tons of propellant and 2.2m diameter, make it seems like it would share similarities with the Ariane 4's PAL booster (, of course with a different engine (Viking 5 vs Viking 6), Gimbal, integrated water tanks, a control case.... but the tooling would probably be shared.

1679168457007.png
(source: ESA Bulletin 49)

This isn't the first time I've heard of a "single-Viking stick" rocket (something which IMO would have made a lot of sense given the Viking's production rate, it could have been a successor to the Diamant, and avoided the Solid-propulsion Vega), but It may be one of the earlier one. I remember the "Mariane" proposals from the mid 80s

IMG_3865.png

(cf, Christian Lardier's Soyuz book), which is differently described on "zenker.se" (L33-derived first stage vs L39/PAP-derived first stage)

1679168934210.png

I remember reading about other "single-viking sticks" at other times, but I forgot when.
And then more recently there's the Indian "ADMIRE" vehicle,

ISRO-ADMIRE-and-L40-Mk-II-strap-on.png

which uses a reusable, throttlable version of the Vikas (!) to serve as a Grasshopper-like VTVL Demonstrator... I would't be surprised if ISRO had studied "single-Vikas sticks" through the years.

Anyway I disgress,

Pierre Condom - Brazil aims for self-sufficiency in space - Interavia - Vol 41 (No 1) (January 1986), pp. 99-101.

Brief excerpt at Google books says this (attachment)
space agency CNES to explore the possibility of acquiring hardware used in the first stage of the French Diamant rocket .

More from Google books. Quick search over a decade. https://www.google.com/search?q="brazil""diamant""rocket"&client=firefox-b-d&biw=1920&bih=919&source=lnt&tbs=cdr:1,cd_min:1978,cd_max:1988&tbm=bks
Brought another document, this time from 1978. "Space age review "
So this is a separate event from the pre-VLS late 70s joint studies AND the late 80s Viking engine purchase! There's definitely an interesting story behind this. Why would brazil seek liquid propulsion? The first link (mit.edu) of the OP explains that at the time Avibras and Engesa, the main brazilian missile manufacturer were involved in middle eastern deals that necessitated solid propulsion technologies.

1679173207711.png
These were the basic plans for VLS improvement circa 1990 from that same link, most of it was still solid, but the fifth one used "technology of liquid fuel engines absorbed in China"? There were already cooperation with china in the 80s?

It happened that Giscard didn't initially belived in space, and thus he started cutting the fat. Diamant was an early victim after its last launch in September 1975, but the shock therapy to CNES was too brutal, even more when Ariane was threatened. End result: CNES went on strike late June 1976, his director resigned in anger, and a crisis boiled up. It was solved in the end, but left some scars.
This whole study is definitely an interesting concept for Alternate History in which the Ariane program fails... France developping rockets closer to countries like India or Brazil... Fascinating!

Last edited:
In my space TL, Diamant press-fed L17 is married with Lockheed's Agena space tug and the whole thing is called DIAGONAL
DIamant
AGena
ONera
Advanced
Launcher
Space shuttle is canned in 1971 Spacelab dies. Europe gets the Agena space tug, F-104G style.
Diamant L17 is the tug testbed before Ariane.

IMG_3865.png

(cf, Christian Lardier's Soyuz book), which is differently described on "zenker.se" (L33-derived first stage vs L39/PAP-derived first stage)

View attachment 695992

I remember reading about other "single-viking sticks" at other times, but I forgot when.
While on the subject of "Single-Viking" rockets like the BR2, There's actually a technical drawing of the "Mariane"!
https://rymdhistorier.org/2020/09/19/satelliter-fran-esrange-en-37-arig-ide/ ; this site is a reminder that the 90s small launcher fad puts the modern one to shame!

marianeax-1.jpg

It seems the two sources got something wrong, it is a L33-derived and not a PAL-derived core, but it did have PAP as boosters. S2 is P6 aka RITA II of the M2 MSBS
A very complex launcher, I'm not quite sure if it would be worth it in the market conditions of the 90s....
Also the Z-Launcher was supposed to have only 575 kg of payload to LEO! Using a HM-7 for such a small payload is a waste.
1679182786093.png

Last edited:
Dear @TheKutKu,

This discussion makes me feels like... this guy. "Tight tight tight ! Oh, yeah - if you have more European rocketry stuff - British, French, Italian, whatever: just keep posting that ! "

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPfxMIhEUrQ
I'll definitely share interesting tidbits in their relevant threads when I find or remember them.
One thing I'd love to know more about are SEP's early Staged combustion Vulcain studies, it's repeatedly said in the litterature (off the top of my head, recently in François Leproux's Hermes book) that there was a CNES/SEP conflict over open vs closed cycle up until 1984, and reading a bit some of the weirder proposals (like Rocketdyne agreement for Licensed-J2-powered Ariane 5 as an interim for a SEP SSME-scale, Closed cycle engine-powered, potentially Flyback Ariane 5*), I suspect this was in the backdrop of SNECMA's acquisition of SEP. A lot of the documents and books are hard to find, there's some stuff in libraries and universities in Bordeaux or around Vernon. I've tried to ask a familly member who worked at vernon on vulcain in the 90s but details are fuzzy. Vulcain's history, as one of the first big french liquid engine that isn't of K.H. Bringer heritage must be fascinting.

*cf IFHE #20, 2017; Ruimtevaart April 84

Last edited:
like Rocketdyne agreement for licensed-J2-powered Ariane 5 (as an interim for a SEP SSME-scale, Closed cycle engine-powered Flyback Ariane 5)
Wut ?

like Rocketdyne agreement for licensed-J2-powered Ariane 5 (as an interim for a SEP SSME-scale, Closed cycle engine-powered Flyback Ariane 5)
Wut ?
View: https://twitter.com/AuerSusan/status/1607449959393275904;
I had mentionned this in the referenced tweet. The flyback A5 was already a common proposal at the time, see the aforementionned Ruimtevaart article or Future Launching system studies, and I remember reading that it would have been better with a 200t engine like the one mentionned above, but I'd have to find the source.

This whole study is definitely an interesting concept for Alternate History in which the Ariane program fails... France developping rockets closer to countries like India or Brazil... Fascinating!
This was actually something I was going to ask – potential scenarios where both sides dig in and things fall apart.

Fascinate History
Sadly that Brazil Government not take the French Rocket.
But that USA not wanted that Brazil Junta have advance rocket tech during 1970s
play important role in the story