Fairchild XC-120 Packplane

Skybolt

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
The most eminent example of a certain not taken road...
everything you would know on the Fairchild XC-120 Packplane with detachable and interchangeable cargo pod.
Beware, large files etc etc..

http://handle.dtic.mil/100.2/ADB803042
Basic Aerodynamic Data - Model XC-120

http://handle.dtic.mil/100.2/ADB803066
Performance Calculations - and Appendix I - Model XC-120 (M-107)

http://handle.dtic.mil/100.2/ADB803059
Ground Handling Loads Criteria - Model XC-120

http://handle.dtic.mil/100.2/ADB803064
Basic Flight Criteria - Pack on - Model XC-120 (M-107)

http://handle.dtic.mil/100.2/ADB803065
Basic Flight Criteria - Pack Off - Model XC-120

nice Idea

Take a C-119 Flying Boxcar
a removable pod replace most fuselage.
but Wat wend wrong and end the program ?

]

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a great idea, and with so much commonality with the C-119 the USAF was very interested. However, what killed it was the other support equipment that would be needed to make it operable, such as the tugs, support bases and the pods themselves.

In the end, the USAF felt that conventional transports would be cheaper.

The applications for the under-fuselage / pods could have been interesting!
Does anyone have a 3-view drawing of this odd bird?

Regards
Pioneer

As a concept it was great, but the "cargo pods" were just too unwieldy and expensive I imagine.

Miles Aircraft created a four-engine derivative of the M.57 Aerovan called the M.68 Boxcar <http://www.aviastar.org/air/england/a_miles.html> that was much more manageable. The cargo pod was a 10' x 4.5' x 4.5' unit that could be trailered on it's own wheels. I'll try to scan the pics with and without the pod and the other info when I get home.

I watched that video again, and wanted to say two things.

1) The first picture on the video shows two XC-120's -- one flying and one on the ground. This was a composite photo, as there was only ever one built.

2) It really reminded me of the NASA Transport from the movie, "Doppelganger" or "Journey to the Far Side of the Sun" (as it was known on this side of the pond).

:)

That this Plane
good old Gerry Anderson Stuff B)
except for poor pilots in the cockpit

source:
from German version "Unfall in Weltraum"
screen caption with VLC

Attachments

• Dop1.jpg
    Dop1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 742
  • Dop2.jpg
    Dop2.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 692
  • Dop3.jpg
    Dop3.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 643
  • Dop4.jpg
    Dop4.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 633
  • Dop5.jpg
    Dop5.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 660
Michel Van said:
That this Plane

source:
screen caption with VLC

That's the one!!!

BTW, picture 5 should be number 2 in the sequence.

Also, this model was reworked and became the SHADO transporter for the Mobiles in UFO. The "airline" that operated this aircraftwas called "Shadair".

I love Gerry Anderson stuff!

Michel Van said:
That this Plane

source:
screen caption with VLC

Oh, and I just used Babelfish to translate, and "Accident in Space"? What is wrong with the title, "Doppleganger"?

saturncanuck said:
Michel Van said:
That this Plane

source:

Oh, and I just used Babelfish to translate, and "Accident in Space"? What is wrong with the title, "Doppleganger"?

oh that is typical for 1960's & 1970's German Cinema Distributor they change the Movie titel make it "more" interesting
best example is the Diango Movies, there only Three made with Franko Nero B)
but German Cinema Distributor relabeled 23 different italowestern in to Diango movies !

Michel Van said:
saturncanuck said:
Michel Van said:
That this Plane

source:

oh that is typical for 1960's & 1970's German Cinema Distributor they change the Movie titel make it "more" interesting
but German Cinema Distributor relabeled 23 different italowestern in to Diango movies !

But, I don't understand -- "Doppelganger" IS GERMAN!!!!

MY favourite is when the French translate "Star Wars" it becomes, "War of the Galaxies".

LOL

LMAO

Ok off topic now

mmm, maybe Doppelganger was too literature-related to a German ear (Heine and Hoffmann). By the way, the translation of Doppelganger in Japanese could be Kagemusha.. connections connections...

saturncanuck said:
Michel Van said:
saturncanuck said:
Michel Van said:
That this Plane

source:

But, I don't understand -- "Doppelganger" IS GERMAN!!!!

MY favourite is when the French translate "Star Wars" it becomes, "War of the Galaxies".

LOL

LMAO

Ok off topic now
No, that's not the title those movies were screened with in French-speaking countries. It was "guerre des étoiles", which is the exact translation for "Star Wars". LOL on something else.

1950 Press Photo Artist Conception Of Fairchild Pack Plane XC-120 Airplane.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-Press-Photo-Artist-Conception-Of-Fairchild-Pack-Plane-XC-120-Airplane-/390826262361?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item5aff0f7f59

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 666
The Swadar Fairchild XC-120 Pack-Plane with Jeep and Tank Cargo

IT LOADS!.....IT UNLOADS!.....FRONT AND REAR DOORS OPEN

Wingspan 10.375" Length 8"

Available in red with yellow cargo or gray with red cargo.

Attachments

• Swadar Fairchild XC-120 03.JPG
    Swadar Fairchild XC-120 03.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 484
  • Swadar Fairchild XC-120 02.JPG
    Swadar Fairchild XC-120 02.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 460
  • Swadar Fairchild XC-120 01.JPG
    Swadar Fairchild XC-120 01.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 454

Attachments

• Swadar Fairchild XC-120 kit 01.JPG
    Swadar Fairchild XC-120 kit 01.JPG
    365.9 KB · Views: 384
  • Swadar Fairchild XC-120 kit 02.JPG
    Swadar Fairchild XC-120 kit 02.JPG
    224.5 KB · Views: 163
  • Swadar Fairchild XC-120 kit 03.JPG
    Swadar Fairchild XC-120 kit 03.JPG
    224.1 KB · Views: 191
This is the classic box art from what may have been an earlier release of the kit by the Saunders-Swadar Corporation: http://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php?detail=17206

From the picture caption: "The original name of the company was Saunders-Swadar, but only a few kits were every issued that that name. This is one of the very rare early issues with the full color box. The top of the box says 'Saunders', and the side says 'Manufactured by Swadar Plastics Co. For Saunders-Swadar Toy Company Aurora Illinois."[/size]

Attachments

• Saunders XC-120 box art.jpg
    Saunders XC-120 box art.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 221
And a Model;

http://www.avia-it.com/act/biblioteca/periodici/PDF%20Riviste/Alata/Alata%201950%2002.pdf

Attachments

• XC-120  2-1950.png
    XC-120 2-1950.png
    638.1 KB · Views: 231
I watched that video again, and wanted to say two things.

1) The first picture on the video shows two XC-120's -- one flying and one on the ground. This was a composite photo, as there was only ever one built.

2) It really reminded me of the NASA Transport from the movie, "Doppelganger" or "Journey to the Far Side of the Sun" (as it was known on this side of the pond).

:)

That this Plane

source:
screen caption with VLC

Poor pilots nothing, how does that thing NOT fall over since it's 'only' balanced on the main gear? The cockpit and engines have to be EXACTLY balanced and lord help you if there's even a stiff breeze. Don't get me wrong I still thought the sequence was neat, (as was the movie itself) but yeesh...

As I understand it part of the Packplane's issues were the seals and fasteners weren't as effective as they'd thought they would be, (it was a prototype so not sure why they thought they'd get it right the very first time) in that the drag between pod and airframe was inconsistant and the pod tended to 'rattle' during flight. Given time and more development efforts I think the concept had a good chance of success but this wasn't going to happen under the circumstances.

But we're still looking into trying the concept in the real world with various concepts:

Among others.

Randy

They should bring back the idea for Stratolaunch. A passenger pod could carry a helluva amount of people (800 of them ?)

The dream lives on. This isn't a serious design but a concept from a design house featured in a recent AW&ST. If a pod were limited to use at the airport, as suggested in this article, with no requirement to survive potholes and loading docks, I wonder if it would necessarily impose a big weight penalty. You could even imagine the attachment being adjustable fore and aft to optimize CG.

Attachments

• s-l1600aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.JPG
    s-l1600aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.JPG
    420.9 KB · Views: 152
If a pod were limited to use at the airport
... then would there be much benefit over a standard rolling floor? Meh.
For passenger operations, detatching the passenger cabin and processing it (disembarking passengers, cleaning and stocking the cabin, boarding passengers) separately from the airframe could, I think, provide benefits. The 2 operations are colocated now because they have to be, but its a compromise:
- walking down a long tube to go through a small door and turn a corner into another tube while cayyring luggage and children is not all that efficient. If the passenger cabin could be brought right up to the terminal at roughly ground level, without having to work around the airframe, the whole process could be done in a smaller area more quickly.
- The pod configuration depicted looks like it could accommodate larger, simpler doors in the end bulkheads since they wouldn't be in the external skin, allowing straight-in loading.
- The pod and airframe could be on different turnaround schedules if required or different pod configurations could be swapped out to match the ticket class mix sold. Since the pod would probably be relatively inexpensive compared to the airframe, the pressure for utilization would be less. Different pods could also trade off fuel vs. payload volume for different trip lengths. The pod could also be shifted fore and aft to optimize CG without aerodynamic trimming.
- Servicing the airframe could probably be done more efficiently if it didn't have to coexist with the terminal, jetbridge, baggage carts and galley service.
As far as a weight penalty, I could imagine it being relatively small if both the airframe and pod were structurally adequate for flight only when joined.
I'm not placing any bets on this actually happening but think it could bring theoretical benefits.

Last edited:
Your concept does have some operational appeal.
However, "for passenger operations" with their attending mandatory safety overload, I can't see how weigh and cost could possibly work out.

I was planning to post this a while back but totally forgot all about it!

Sikorsky tried a similar concept with their S-64 Skycrane helicopter (US Army designation T-54 Tarhe).
Only a few cargo pods were built and they were only used part-time by the US Army. The US Army primarily used them as flying cranes to deliver sling loads of artillery guns, ammo, small vehicles, etc.
Since they retired from military service, most S-64s only work as flying cranes. The only pods - routinely fitted - are specialized water tanks for fighting forest fires.

After they built the last S-64, the Sikorsky factory used the same rotor system to build several generations of CH-54 Stallions, Jolly Green Giants, etc. with conventional cargo fuselages and cargo ramps under the tail. The most visible users are West Germany, Israel and the US Marine Corps. The USMC recently adopted an enlarged version called the King Stallion.
USMC prefers CH-54 because it can fold to stow below deck on US Navy carriers.

CH-53, not -54.

And to nitpick further, the Jolly Green Giant nickname really applies to the HH-3, not the -53, which was the Super Jolly.

Attachments

• XC-120.jpg
    XC-120.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Fairchild XC-120 Packplane.pdf
    587.7 KB · Views: 31
  • without dorsal fin pic1.jpg
    without dorsal fin pic1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 113
  • without dorsal fin pic2.jpg
    without dorsal fin pic2.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 91
  • with dorsal fin pic1.jpg
    with dorsal fin pic1.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 94
  • with dorsal fin pic2.jpg
    with dorsal fin pic2.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
American Secret Projects 2 had a section about the XC-120 and other American projects of a similar configuration, with many concepts including podded hospitals and command centres which would be flown or dropped in by aircraft like the XC-120. The idea was based off of experience from the Island Hopping Campaign in the Pacific Theatre during the Second World War. However, the XC-120 and similar projects never entered service. If such concepts had such a large amount of promise, then why did they never enter service?