from 1977. The propulsion system is known to RC-modellers
as "Impeller", I think . :D

(from AIR INTERNATIONAL .9.77)

Attachments

• RicJet4.jpg
    RicJet4.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,677
Hi,

http://books.google.com.eg/books?id=YcAjcSSP4HMC&pg=PA137&dq=stipa+aircraft&hl=ar&ei=fpUkTO7NApSB_QafpM3iBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=stipa%20aircraft&f=true

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 323
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 342
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 366
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 338
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 280
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 283
RFB Fantrainer.
These photos were taken recently by a friend of mine.
--Luc

Attachments

• Fantrainer 14s.jpg
    Fantrainer 14s.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 322
  • Fantrainer 20s.jpg
    Fantrainer 20s.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 310
  • Fantrainer 80s.jpg
    Fantrainer 80s.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 316
Without a doubt one of my favorite trainer designs ever. Thanks for sharing!

G-FANS, experimental islander
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=G-FANS

and of course an Optica.
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?aircraft_genericsearch=Optica

Fenestron tail rotors probably dont count in this thread...

Factory model of Convair Model 49 VTOL "Bucket Jet" from U.S. Army AAFSS competition.

Attachments

• Convair 49 Model 4 sml.jpg
    Convair 49 Model 4 sml.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 256
Factory Model of Convair ADD (Advanced Destroyer Drone) VTOL Navy Program, from 1961-63. Perimeter side openings are for depth charges and large center slot is for a pair of torpedoes.

Attachments

• Convair ADD Closed.jpg
    Convair ADD Closed.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 233
  • Convair ADD Open.jpg
    Convair ADD Open.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 284
Inasmuch as I knew the Model 49 for AAFSS, I had never heard of the ADD for the Navy. Thanks a lot for sharing!

hesham said:
The 329 Amphibian

Great find, hesham, and fascinating design. I have now gathered some info on the 329 project and will create a topic about it soon. Thanks!

From Luftfahrt International 1/1981,

the RFB ducted fan aircraft.

Attachments

• RFB.JPG
    RFB.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 356
RFB Sirius 1

"The Funk FK 3 airframe served as the basis for the development of the motorized glider Sirius 1 in 1970, an outstanding aircraft if only on account of its integrated propeller fan. The Sirius concept was developed further by the Rheinflugzeugbau Company and resulted in the lightweight military trainer "Fantrainer". This information and more about Otto Funk aircraft here: http://www.berndroth.com/Fk/html/body_fk_history.html

RFB Sirius 2

"VFW-Fokkers' Rhein-Flugzeugbau subsidiary is now flight testing the Sirius II in its investigation of integrated ducted fan propulsion. First flown on 18 January 1972, Sirius II has two 30 hp Fichtel & Sachs Wankel-type engines driving the high-speed propeller that is contained in a duct forming an integral part of fuselage design, and the wing and tail unit of a Caproni Vizzola Calif A 21 sailplane. Use of Wankel type engines makes intermediate gears unnecessary and two-engined reliability is achieved with a single propeller."

Attachments

• RFB Sirius 2.jpg
    RFB Sirius 2.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 296
  • RFB Sirius 1 and Sirius 2.jpg
    RFB Sirius 1 and Sirius 2.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 253
  • RFB Sirius 1 01.JPG
    RFB Sirius 1 01.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 248
Source: Airplanes of the Future, Lerner Publications Company, 1987, page 19

Attachments

• Rhein-Flugzeugbau_Fanstar_Airplanes of the Future_Lerner Publications Company_1987_page_19.png
    Rhein-Flugzeugbau_Fanstar_Airplanes of the Future_Lerner Publications Company_1987_page_19.png
    128.7 KB · Views: 1,184
Jim Miller's Texas Gem Formula One racer in its original form utilized a ducted prop. It exhibited the usual clearance/efficiency issues and the duct was soon discarded.

Attachments

• texasgemviews.jpg
    texasgemviews.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 1,133
Hi richard,
I have this aircraft listed as a project by the swiss firm A.B.S. Aircraft.
Maveric

richard said:
Another project , from RHEIN FLUGZEUGBAU :

Miller JM-2 published in the magazine Popular Mechanics, February 1974 Page 90

Attachments

• Miller d.jpg
    Miller d.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 274
  • Miller c.png
    Miller c.png
    101.3 KB · Views: 256
  • Miller JM-2 b.jpg
    Miller JM-2 b.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 253
  • Miller JM-2 a.jpg
    Miller JM-2 a.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 884
  • Miller JM-2single place.jpg
    Miller JM-2single place.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 940
Perry Mick's "Duckt"

duckt01.jpg
duckt07.jpg
duckt10.jpg

The Duckt homebuilt aircraft project was started by Perry Mick in 1986 as a conventional Rutan Long-EZ. An ad by Moller International in 1994 advertising the SkyCar, which is still under development, inspired the idea to develop a ducted fan for homebuilt aircraft built around the readily available 13B rotary engine. By using a Wankel engine with only three basic moving parts, and utilizing it in a direct-drive configuration with the ducted-fan, the goal was to produce cost-effective, reliable propulsion for homebuilt aircraft.

Research into propeller and ducted fan design was begun in 1994. The basic airframe was completed in 1994. Sanding and finishing consumed more time through 1996. Installation of the rotary engine into the Long-EZ began in January 1997. Other than the engine and ducted-fan installation, the aircraft is basically stock Long-EZ, with a few minor modifications such as split forward-hinging canopies and landing lights in the strakes. However, Perry Mick decided to call the airplane "Duckt". The registration number "N7XR" ("RX7" in reverse) was obtained from the FAA.

In 1998 the first ducted fan experiments were performed. The aircraft was moved to the McMinnville, Oregon airport in June. Taxi-tests were performed for a year, from July 1998 to July of 1999, before the first flight was made. These experiments provided the knowledge to design improved ducts and fans. The early experiments that never flew were performed with Fan1 and Duct1. In the summer of 1999 the first test flights were performed with an improved duct and fan combination: Fan2 and Duct2. After about 10 hours of flight time, a lighter weight, improved fan design was built from carbon-fiber, Fan3. This fan allowed the engine to operate at slightly higher RPM, due to thinner blades and a tapered blade chord.

It was believed that the venturi-shape of Duct2 was possibly a mistake, that perhaps this shape was limiting the top-end speed of the aircraft. A new duct was designed with a venturi of 10% (air velocity in the fan plane is 10% higher than aircraft velocity), a significant reduction from Duct2 that has 30%. Duct3 was built in the Spring of 2000 and installed to the existing mounting points on the engine, and initial tests performed. The takeoff distance was increased, climb rate decreased, maximum speed about the same with Duct3. Duct3 loaded the engine more, such that the reduction in RPM offset the speed increase. Duct3 will probably be a desirable duct to use when more power is available, such as when a turbocharger is installed.

Stators were installed in June 2000. It was believed the stators would have little effect, but surprisingly, they improved climb rate by up to 50%. No effect noticed on takeoff distance or maximum speed. The current operational configuration is Duct2 with stator blades and Fan3. Mods performed in early 2003 were engine improvements. A new custom intake manifold was built from composites and relocated to the right wing-root area. This got the bulky and heavy stock manifold off the top of the engine. The big bumps were removed from the cowl, allowing more airflow into the fan and a more streamlined profile with less drag. Top speed increased 5 knots.

When it seemed like the Duckt had finally reached its ideal configuration, Perry Mick announced in February 2005 that Duckt was now ductless! It was converted from ducted fan propulsion to PSRU/prop December 2004 (still powered by a rotary engine). Mick explained that takeoff distance remained the same, climb rate was improved and cruise speed was much improved. "Ducted fans remain a viable alternative, especially for slower applications such as Light Sport Aircraft and gyrocopters. The Long-EZ, other than being a pusher, was probably not the ideal testbed to develop the ducted fan, but I did get almost 500 enjoyable flight hours in over 5 years from the configuration," said Mick.

Specifications, performance figures and more photos on my website:

http://stargazer2006.online.fr/derivatives/pages/duckt.htm

Hi,

here is a ducted-fan airplane from Russian,GA Aircraft,who know more about it ?;

http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/aircraft-design-aerodynamics-new-technology/12408-ducted-fan-aircraft-41.html

Attachments

• DSC_0340 (Large).jpg
    DSC_0340 (Large).jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 284
The link for more

And short videos

View: https://youtu.be/vGD0LUFwvYQ

View: https://youtu.be/ZdJiBO8k9I8

View: https://youtu.be/DbCjncm1-0M

The Rhein-Flugzeugbau Sirius drawing;

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1969/1969%20-%200972.html?search=messerschmitt

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    848.1 KB · Views: 259
anyone got information about the DFT-1 by Claus Herbert? country of origin?

kenfalzon said:
anyone got information about the DFT-1 by Claus Herbert? country of origin?

Hi Kenfalzon,

do you have a picture or drawing for it,I think it was from Germany ?.

hesham see reply no 3 image 4 - Herbert

must be German, but i cannot find anything about this aircraft

Hi Kenfalzon,

it's from my posts,oh my memory,I search in more than 15 JAWA issues,but
I couldn't find it also ?.

Here are images of a ducted fan aircraft proposal model recently sold on ebay. It was described only as a "'70s airforce trainer". I recall similar designs being proposed in the '80s by a German firm in response to T-37 replacement competitions - I don't think there was much talk of replacing the T-37 in the '70s. Any other details?

Attachments

• s-l1600aaaaaaaaa.jpg
    s-l1600aaaaaaaaa.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 457
  • s-l1600aaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    s-l1600aaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 464
  • s-l1600aaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    s-l1600aaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 465
  • s-l1600aaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    s-l1600aaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 505
It is the Ling-Temco-Vought / VFW V-539 proposal to the NGT competition , in 1981 :

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2022.msg198360.html#msg198360

I won the bid for the Vought Eaglet posted above and the paint and finish was terrible..... soooooooooo as you can see in the picture of the case I repainted the model as the attack version. Enjoy.

Attachments

• VoughtDeskModels.jpg
    VoughtDeskModels.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 366
  • IMG_2579.jpg
    IMG_2579.jpg
    712.4 KB · Views: 307
Actually the case is in the VOUGHT archives and sadly not in the Vought house......

Rohr’s 2-175 was the prettiest little fan-driven delta. It spun experimental Lycoming engines at twice the usual rpm. Test pilot Don Westergren liked the single flying prototype but it was cancelled when the bigger Rohr Corporation encountered cash-flow problems.
Rohr is a California-based company that specializes in building engine nacelles for jet airliners.
Westergren and project engineer Richard Fraser wrote a book about the Rohr 2-175. The book contained many Rohr Corp. drawings and photos, but sadly the book is out of print.
We have discussed the Rohr 2-175 over on www.homebuiltairplanes.com primarily on the “delta “ thread.

Last edited:

Attachments

• US4657209A-01.png
    US4657209A-01.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 161
  • US4657209A-02.png
    US4657209A-02.png
    56.7 KB · Views: 137
  • US4657209A-03.png
    US4657209A-03.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 127
  • US4657209A-04.png