Ducted fan V/STOL prototype - horizontal axis fans with thrust vectoring

piolenc

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
For over a month I've been racking my brain and ransacking my files trying to find a particular aircraft. It was based, if I recall, on a helicopter fuselage with a pair of large-diameter ducted fans on each side. These were equipped with an airfoil cascade for thrust vectoring; the fans remained at a fixed incidence to the fuselage in both vertical and horizontal flight. I cannot even remember the manufacturer of the thing - I thought it was Piasecki but can't find the slightest trace of it on their site.

Well, don't I feel stupid - the moment I posted the above I found the machine I was looking for, built by Piasecki as I had thought I remembered. The problem now is that I don't know how to delete this post...

piolenc said:
Well, don't I feel stupid - the moment I posted the above I found the machine I was looking for, built by Piasecki as I had thought I remembered. The problem now is that I don't know how to delete this post...

Link? what was it? I sortof guessed at the Garret STAMP from your description...

assuming this will disappear shortly...

Hi Piolenc,

do you mean this ?;

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4393.msg164628.html#msg164628

Attachments

• pa2c.jpg
    pa2c.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 284
Nord 500 ?

Attachments

• ñ.jpg
    ñ.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 268
  • ñ 001.jpg
    ñ 001.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 247
  • ñ 002.jpg
    ñ 002.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 214
  • ñ 003.jpg
    ñ 003.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 196
  • ñ 004.jpg
    ñ 004.jpg
    821.6 KB · Views: 50
Well, although it clearly wasn't the STAMP as that was jet-driven, the OP states:

"the fans remained at a fixed incidence to the fuselage in both vertical and horizontal flight."

so I'm still curious..