Attachments

• Ithacus_cockpit.jpg
    Ithacus_cockpit.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 308
edition's of "Frontiers in Space"
page 77
[/quote]

Hi,
The idea seemed brilliant and influenced others this side of the pond. There is a detailed cutaway drawing of a recoverable Blue Streak variant powered by RZ12 modified with plug nozzle / shield.

OM said:
Triton said:
Orionblamblam said:
Woo! Was just informed that the documents have been reviewed and are no longer ITAR controlled.

V2N6 will have a whole lot of goodies.

Great news! It seems absurd that declassified technical reports are available under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and then they run afoul of International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).

...Does sound pretty ITARded, donnit? :p

"ITARded", I like that. :D

i think wat is about this Rombus payload
index.php

it look like earth depart stage from Douglas UMPIRE study
Unfavorable Manned Planetary - Interplanetary Roundtrip Expedition
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/umpuglas.htm

Michel, thank you for the illustrations. Very interesting.

They really illustrate the astronaut accommodation problems faced by the Grumman engineers on the Apollo LM. How to accommodate the pilots so that they have visibility for launch/docking (forward visibility), and landing (rearward/downward visibility), but since ROMBUS would launch from Earth the G-forces on the pilots also have to be accounted for. According to the illustrations, the pilots would be crushed down into their seats, versus pushed into the back of their seats (as on Apollo / Shuttle). Seated as they are in the illustrations, it looks like they would actually have little forward/downward visibility, only lateral.

For a pilot, vertically landing something as large as ROMBUS (not to mention finding a suitable landing spot) would have been quite "exciting" I would think.

SAustin16 said:
Seated as they are in the illustrations, it looks like they would actually have little forward/downward visibility, only lateral.

For a pilot, vertically landing something as large as ROMBUS (not to mention finding a suitable landing spot) would have been quite "exciting" I would think.

A screenshot of the relevant page of illustrations from the forthcoming APR article...

Attachments

• cockpit.jpg
    cockpit.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 433
Rombus is from 1963, so I guess they used what they knew.

...Looks to me more like crew compartment emergency ejection system drawings than landing. One assumes from the last two panels - if read from left-right-top-down - the compartment had some degree of maneuverability so as to ensure a water landing.

Yeeesh. Just broke the 130 page mark with issue V2N6... and I'm still awaiting another few pages of stuff from a source.

The ROMBUS/ICARUS article starts on page 12, ends on page 94. Anybody complains that this article doesn't have enough info, Imagonnasmackm.

82 pages of glorious ROMBUS Family
that more as in "Frontiers of Space" by Philip Bono / Kennneth Gatland ! ! !

issue V2N6 gonna be Ultra subzero Cool

Orionblamblam said:
OM said:
...Looks like a purple print to me :p

Not one of my better efforts, admittedly.

Hey, you're alive. There was specualtion on SSH that you are dead. Aided in no small part due to OMblog vanishing.

...I've actually been near death for the past few months with a liver condition known as coleostatic hepatitis, a condition that's contracted either by a negative interaction between two or more medications, or more rarely by contracting a parasite from a pet. In typical OM fashion, in my case it turned out to be both, which is why it's taken so long to treat. I've still been a little active online, but off of usenet due to financial reasons - the same ones that have OMWorld offline. I'd love to get both back up and running, but I need a) a decent *free* usenet provider that has a decent retention span, and b) a blog service that will allow me to transfer and repost my old OMBlog entries with the dates set to when they were actually posted. So far, b) appears to not exist in any way, shape or form.

...Still, as for my being "dead", I'd be curious as to how many of the trolls popped up to wish me a swift journey to Hell :p :p

OM said:
[...Still, as for my being "dead", I'd be curious as to how many of the trolls popped up to wish me a swift journey to Hell :p :p

You think too highly of yourself

found in this blog, Info about Space Book "Book of Space"
http://dreamsofspace.blogspot.com/2010/06/book-of-space-adventures-1963-1964-1965.html

It has littel section about Pegasus and Ithacus Concept, with this Picture
I think its official art from Douglas Pegasus proposal

the Module for the space station are in size of Skylab

Attachments

• 1965bookofspaceadventures2.jpg
    1965bookofspaceadventures2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 649
Found on NTRS a PDF
ROMBUS - An Integrated Systems Concept for a Reusable Orbital Module (Booster and Utility Shuttle)
by Bono, Phillip
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19630007932_1963007932.pdf

Artist's impression of Douglas Ithacus.

Source:
http://www.themodellingnews.com/2011/12/latest-news-from-fantastic-plastic.html

Attachments

• Icarusillustration.jpg
    Icarusillustration.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 361
Douglas ROMBUS press photo found on eBay.

URL:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-Missile-Space-Future-SPACE-VEHICLE-CONCEPT-Press-Photo-/200887482758?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item2ec5d3b986

Attachments

• 1_14_454_9-10012012-10000611A.jpg
    1_14_454_9-10012012-10000611A.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 976
  • 1_14_454_9-10012012-10000611B.jpg
    1_14_454_9-10012012-10000611B.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 819
Hi,

here is a Douglas LLV or Lunar Logistics Vehicle.

https://archive.org/stream/missilesrockets1119unse#page/78/mode/2up

Attachments

• Douglas.png
    Douglas.png
    746.5 KB · Views: 722
  • missilesrockets1119unse_0756.jpg
    missilesrockets1119unse_0756.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 688
Hi,

I don't know if that Douglas improved Delta launch vehicle is proper in this topic
or not.

Missile and Rockets

Attachments

• missilesrockets1415unse_0893.jpg
    missilesrockets1415unse_0893.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 577