airman

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
zeef.com
starting from Mammoth tank on game Command and Conquer......
there some project of tank that have inspired this type of tank ?

Attachments

• ar1_4tnkicon.gif
    ar1_4tnkicon.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 1,457
Situation, limited space to operate with a given volume. I know, lets make it harder to do and have TWO guns. Sorted. WAAAAAAY to improve situational and operational awareness.........

Dropped rounds on the wrong coordinates again? Sorry, my bad........

Not aimed at the weapon system above alone, it just looks that way.

Well, for 2S35 it was dropped anyways. It was considered that more yoba loading system with aided cooling of barrel will provide comparable RoF without all the complicity of two barrel system.

Cruisers with double-barrel turrets (two 45 mm 20K and two 152 mm M-10T)
1_harv.jpg
post-2-0-46381800-1436285459_thumb.jpg
American post-war "Hunter"
1274114210_1.jpg
Without images:
Marchenko 1916 heavy armoured car, with two AA guns (maybe, 3-inch M1915) in one turret (other weapons - six 75 mm naval guns and two machine guns)
Danchenko 500-ton tank, with two 107 mm guns in main turret (other weapons - two 76.2 mm, two 45 mm guns, many machine guns, three flamethrowers and mortar)

Finnish SF. spoof film 'Star Wreck' has a cg. sequence depicting a twin gunned 'T.72'? like Russian tank

:)

Double-Barreled Vehicle appeared in the wot that has SF tanks
I wonder if such tanks existed in real or on paper

Attachments

• 1_4x5QtVG.jpg
    1_4x5QtVG.jpg
    633.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 5_QNDDyct.jpg
    5_QNDDyct.jpg
    514.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 7_rd3pF7O.jpg
    7_rd3pF7O.jpg
    591.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
WoT is not a good source for anything, but the idea's been looked at. Interwar/early WWII designs like the Char B1 and the M3 Lee would occasionally combine a small-caliber turret gun with a hull-mounted heavy (but often short-barreled) cannon. The M3 had a 75mm 31-caliber or 40-caliber in the hull sponson, and the B1 used a 75/L17 in a fixed hull mount. There's already a thread going on the VT series testbeds from Cold War Germany, and there's always the Type 60 tank destroyer and M50 Ontos (with two and six 106mm M40 respectively). And here's one slightly more obscure one.

Not to be confused with the identically-named single-gun model officially entering service now, the 2S35 Koalitsiya-SV was a Russian prototype aiming to replace the aging 2S19 Msta self-propelled 152mm artillery system. The double-barreled model was based on the 2S19 chassis (the production variant is speculated to be based on either a T-90 or Armata platform), with over-under autoloaded 152mm 2A65 howitzers.

2003137100360054197_rs.jpg
f0060489_4947b8528c867.jpg

The ST-II existed as a project. IS-3-II, Object 703 V2, IS-2-II? fake.

double barrel tanks definitely have been studied before IRL. the russians were at one point very interested in "volley-fire tanks" and made stuff like the U-13 and U-14 (both KV-7 variants)
1578968150785.png
U-13 with 2 x 45mm guns and 1 x 76mm gun

1578968223534.png
U-14 with 2 x 76mm guns

and this T-34 thing - T-34-3
1578968590114.png

during the cold war the americans came up with this thing (Rheem Hunter Tank)
1578968741754.png
aaahhhh get it away from me

ofc some anti air tanks got double barrels too but we skip those

i guess ratte counts
1578968835886.png

and during the late cold war the british and germans were messing around with tank layouts with the FMBT program and they made this stuff:

Leopard 3

1578969173595.png

MAK FMBT-70
1578969338959.png

"WoT is not a good source for anything"

I know that
but sometimes they have interesting projects

P.S. I don't play WoT but here and there I look at what's up
i play wt;)

thx for pics

double barrel tanks definitely have been studied before IRL. the russians were at one point very interested in "volley-fire tanks" and made stuff like the U-13 and U-14 (both KV-7 variants)

Yep, our military tested the concept and found it generally ineffective. The general idea initially was to combine the heavy shell of 76-mm gun with the high rate of fire of 45-mm guns. When it became obvious that constant firing of 45-mm guns would really hamper the reload of 76-mm weapon, and the volley fire is actually impossible because of different guns ballistic, they switched on two 76-mm guns scheme. Which also wasn't exactly good, and when it became clear that Germans are working on tanks with heavier armor, the project was abandoned.

P.S. It actually was not a complete waste of time - the firstly introduced on this machines concept of placing the gun in a armored frame to which trunnions & cradle were connected was considered quite efficient and then developed further on other machines.

The British trialed various versions of 3in howitzer and a 2 Pdr gun. They found it was actually more difficult than first thought because the loader would become confused over which weapon to load. Volley fire wasn't possible because either weapon had very different characteristics (one flat trajectory, other slow and high). It was all fixed when they adopted the 75mm gun which fired both HE and AP.

Recently, there's the AMOS twin-barrel mortar turret, fitted on various vehicles.

83191d7779a5f2a20baf0f771da65be2.jpg

Oh yeah, the other one I completely spaced on, the Maus. That would've had a twin-gun turret, albeit of different calibers and for...really not much reason other than "more guns + more armor = more better" logic. Main gun was a 128mm derived from the PaK 44, while the second was a 75mm L/36 mounted coaxially. What maniac looked at a Jagdtiger and said "that needs a short 75 and a full turret" I'll never understand.

Metro-maus1.jpg

As I recall, that was for cost reasons. They'd still sell you an AMOS if you wanted to pony up the dough.

NEMO is lighter than AMOS and nearly as fast. The real cost saver is Mjolnir, the muzzle-loading double-tube mortar.

Double-Barreled Vehicle appeared in the wot that has SF tanks
I wonder if such tanks existed in real or on paper

I personally research extensively into every Soviet tank that appears on WoT. The (X) ST-II is a historical design, albeit the guns in game are “modified” 122mm M62-T2 cannons whereas the original had BL-9s. As for the previous tanks, the (IX) IS-3 Version II and (VIII) IS-2 Version II, they both are completely fake tanks created to provide a mini-branch with the ST-II. Both of the tanks did not exist in any form in reality.

Oh yeah, the other one I completely spaced on, the Maus. That would've had a twin-gun turret, albeit of different calibers and for...really not much reason other than "more guns + more armor = more better" logic. Main gun was a 128mm derived from the PaK 44, while the second was a 75mm L/36 mounted coaxially. What maniac looked at a Jagdtiger and said "that needs a short 75 and a full turret" I'll never understand.

Metro-maus1.jpg
same with the E-100

I think that predates to the early 1900's late 1800's when the big guns fired very slowly and there was a need for a smaller calibre faster firing gun on the ship to continue hitting the enemy while the main cannon reloaded.

From what I understand it is due to the fact that when the Maus was first being concieved, super heavy tanks were still seen by some as landships with lots of different weapons, in fact the initial designs also called for a flamethrower, which was then delethed to sace space and weight a la K-Wagen

"This is one of the experimental designs from the 1970s, developed as a potential replacement for the Leopard 1. It’s a tank destroyer based on a heavily modified Leopard 1 chassis".

2x gun tank_1.jpg

Attachments

• 2x gun tank_2.jpg
    2x gun tank_2.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 118
  • 2x gun tank_3.jpg
    2x gun tank_3.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 117
"This is one of the experimental designs from the 1970s, developed as a potential replacement for the Leopard 1. It’s a tank destroyer based on a heavily modified Leopard 1 chassis".

Part of the Experimentalentwicklung program, in other words one of the designs leading up to the Keiler design which was initially selected to be the basis of the Leopard 2.

This would have been handy for the Bundesgrenzschutz.

We should not forget the twin 25 Pdr mounted experimentally on the Australian Cruiser AC3 Sentinel

thz3n373opu21.jpg

It was intended to test whether the Sentinel could use the 17 Pdr gun. It contributed directly to the creation of the British Sherman Firefly.

This would have been handy for the Bundesgrenzschutz.

May sound strange, but the "Bundesgrenzschutz" was never meant to protect the boarders
in a military sense. Still today, it's just a police force, without really heavy weapons. The biggest and
most heavily armed vehicles there are light personal carriers or recce vehicles, like the M8 Greyhound.

Since 2005 it's called "Bundespolizei" (Federal Police).

Do SPAA vehicles count?

Considering that an SPAA is required to shoot down aerial targets, a large amount of firepower in a small space is required and thus multiple barrels were very common. Tanks always had a single barrel as that was all that was needed; two was almost overkill and thus such a tank hardly even saw the light of day.

Yes, there were also the German Versuchträger, the Russian Koalitsia and a few others, but "hardly saw the light of day" is a correct description.