Dornier Canard Design

alfakilo said:
Flitzer said:
As a point of interest, have any aircraft been built and successfully put into service using wing boundary layer suction intakes?Many thanksP

Perhaps the lessons learned from the XF-93 and its unique inlet design might be helpful to your question. While the NACA inlet theory "worked", it apparently didn't "work" well enough...and was replaced by conventional intakes.

The XF-93 lessons were simply re-learning the lessons of Lockheed's attempt to modify the XP-80B prototype with NACA inlets as the XP-80R. "Racey" did manage to capture the world speed record after a redesign with conventional cheek inlets, and the second XF-93 prototype likewise featured cheek inlets as shown in the photo (but not line-drawing) Justo provides above.

Just realized I made a big mistake a few posts above by mentioning the Northrop X-21 as a "BLC" (Boundary Layer Control) aircraft. In actual fact it was an LFC (Laminar Flow Control) demonstrator, which is a very different thing altogether!!! :-[ :'(

NACA intakes evolution ;)

Attachments

• ñ.jpg
    ñ.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 50
  • ñ 001.jpg
    ñ 001.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 52
  • ñ 002.jpg
    ñ 002.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 49
  • ñ 003.jpg
    ñ 003.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 48
  • ñ 004.jpg
    ñ 004.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 44
  • ñ 005.jpg
    ñ 005.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 56
P-80 R semi-flush intakes evolution

Attachments

• P-80 R-3.jpg
    P-80 R-3.jpg
    828.3 KB · Views: 489
  • P-80 R-2.jpg
    P-80 R-2.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 531
  • P-80 R-1.jpg
    P-80 R-1.jpg
    415.7 KB · Views: 580
Interesting. I don't remember seeing that YF-84A modification before.

Thank you again.
Fantastic response.

I've done two more basic layouts...which one should I take further? :)

Attachments

• CANARD4&5.jpg
    CANARD4&5.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 433
The first/left one seems actually to have "NACA ducts", which were, AFAIK developed
in 1945 in the US. So information about them probably wasn't available in Germany, even
during the last days of WW II. Only explanation could be a parallel development, or another
solution, that just looks like a NACA duct externally, but works different. Both not very
likely, I think, so I would stay with the second solution.

P.S.: ...and another reason: To incorporate something, that looks like a NACA duct, probably
would raise claims, thaht this was based on German developments, too ! Not that discussion
again, please ! ;)

I was hoping someone would say that ;) , soI will do the second one.

Bye bye NACA ducts.

Many thanks Jens.
P

Further...

Progress report on Justo's scoop type ducts version.

Many thanks
P

Attachments

• DoCAN6.jpg
    DoCAN6.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 117
"P.S.: ...and another reason: To incorporate something, that looks like a NACA duct, probably
would raise claims, that this was based on German developments, too ! Not that discussion
again, please !

NACA was developing these kinds of inlets since the 1930s. As mentioned above, the Messerschmitt P.1110 and 1112 designs used a similar inlet - with two distinctive features - Messerschmitt would have used a fan mounted in front of the engine compressor shaft to suck off the boundary layer produced by the fuselage, and the inlet was placed in a way to contribute to area ruling. Area ruling was not incorporated in US designs until the redesign of the F-102.

Many thanks all.

For better or worse...
Progress report.

Many thanks
P

Attachments

• DoCAN 7.jpg
    DoCAN 7.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 131
Progress report.
Getting close now I think.
A few tweaks etc to add to finish.

Many thanks
P

Attachments

• DoCAN8.jpg
    DoCAN8.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 125
:)
Many thanks to everyone. Great bit of collaboration.

Hey SA,

It's been a while, how are things with you.

Still creating great models?

P

I can see you have been busy...very busy.

Excellent stuff.

Peter