DeHavilland Comet 5

KJ_Lesnick

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Does anybody have any pictures and data on the cancelled DeHavilland Comet 5?

All I can find is this rather poor photocopy, and once again I am sorry I have no record of the source.
There is a clearer but smaller one and an artist's impression and some details on pp45-47 of Stuck on the Drawing Board by Richard Payne.

Attachments

• Comet 5.gif
    Comet 5.gif
    360.5 KB · Views: 864
This interesting drawing comes from:
'Plane Speaking ,a Personal view of Aviation History' page 122.
Bill Gunston-Patrick Stephens Ltd-Somerset 1989.

Again, thanks to Lark, who deals with my second reason for posting the pic!

hi, in the very fine book THE FIRST JET AIRLINER "de havilland comet " of Timothy Walker (SCOVAL);
in the page 194 have a very nice drawing of a dh comet 5 in BOAC colors.
best regards

You know, I'd almost swear that from what I read about the Comet 5, that it was actually wider than the regular Comet, and had pod-mounted engines. Is this something else?

KJ_Lesnick said:
You know, I'd almost swear that from what I read about the Comet 5, that it was actually wider than the regular Comet, and had pod-mounted engines. Is this something else?

That was the De Havilland 118 with 6 abreast seating for up to 147 passengers.

Powered by 4 pylon mounted 17,000lb Conways

KJ_Lesnick said:
Anyone have any pictures of that?
(The De Havilland 118)

'fraid not but this is Stuck on the Drawing Board's desription.

De Havilland DH118

Replacing the Comet 5 was the 118 Comet development, accommodating up to 147 passengers in a six-abreast layout at 34in pitch. The 118 was powered by four 17,000lb Rolls-Royce Conway engines mounted in pods beneath the wings, and would have been capable of non-stop Transatlantic operations. An all-up weight of 240,000lb was proposed, and the aircraft would have been able to operate from existing airfields. The 118 Comet development was taken very seriously by both BOAC and the government in the mid-fifties. In a strange act, BOAC, who had been advocating the use of big turboprop airliners, and aw no need for the VC7, had at the same time been discussing a follow-on Comet development with de Havilland. Indeed, by November 1956, it was announced by BOAC and the Ministry of Transport and Civil Aviation were seriously discussing the 118, which would not have been available until 1962/63. However, by February 1957, the 118 had been dropped as de Havilland turned its attentions towards an all-new aircraft, firstly for BEA (DH119), then a joint study to meet the requirements of both BEA and BOAC (DH120), before settling on meeting purely BEA’s specification, which became the 121 Trident

Fuselage Length 137ft 6in, Span 137ft

Source:
http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/433211-comet-5-a.html
Book:
De Havilland Comet by Kev Darling at Crowood Press UK, 2005-10-14

Attachments

• 20170827_de Havilland Comet Series 5_unknown_source.jpg
    20170827_de Havilland Comet Series 5_unknown_source.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 438
Good catch iP6- So why did it fade away?

Comet 4's sales brochure had it as dearer-p.seat-mile than 707/DC-8's brochures. Conway-Comet 5 late-55/D.H.118 mid-56-2/57 were explored by DH, blessed with £10Mn. from MoS (K.Hayward, Govt.&Br.Civil Aerospace,MUP,83,P20), but BOAC’s D.H.118 dalliance was smoke to justify choice of 707 (15 ordered, 24/10/56). MoS' Study funds were not to reinforce DH's Comet 1 civil failure, but to sustain the MRBM's Enterprise.

Transfer of re-manufactured Comet 2s to RAF was funded as "a unique arrangement to which Treasury have agreed as a special measure” (Nahum_world_war,P.209), for the same reason.