Curtiss-Wright XP-71 (Model CW-26)

ChuckAnderson

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Does anyone know where any good three-view line drawings of the Curtiss XP-71 can be found?

Thanx!!!

Chuck

Yes, I know, Chuck - in your PM today in the evening (GMT) ;) .

Hi Justo!

Thank you so much! This three-view will be very helpful to me!!
Thanks again!!!

Chuck

I always thought the XP-71 was nifty-looking, if a little ambitious in the armament department. I mean, 2 37mm and a 75mm cannon? For air-to-air combat? If the Axis had ever developed a serious long-range strategic bomber, then it might've worked as a bomber-destroyer type, but I suspect an in-service machine would've sported lighter guns, or else have been turned to something like anti-shipping.

For air-to-air combat?

That monster was exclusively designed to destroy strategic enemy bombers over US territory. When it was clear that any nation could send bomber armadas against US cities there was no reason to go ahead with its development.

A 75 mm cannon was tested before WW2 in a modified B-18 Bolo as anti-ship weapon and latter used in the B-25G so there was no need for P-71's in that role.

Anyway this is one of my favourites in the XP series

Cheers

Antonio

Helo my name's Le Bao and I'm from Viet Nam.And I want to ask why in the topic doesn't have the Curtiss XP-71.It also the pusher fighter project.

Attachments

• 300px-XP-71.jpg
    300px-XP-71.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 2,085
Welcome Le Bao,

there is a topic in the forum dedicated to the XP-71 here:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3281.0.html

Regards,
Antonio

Greetings All -

A photo of the mock up.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• XP-71 Mockup C-W St Louis CF8480 Jan-26-43.jpg
    XP-71 Mockup C-W St Louis CF8480 Jan-26-43.jpg
    508.2 KB · Views: 1,110
Topic split and consolidated from other places.

There are also references to the XP-71 in the following topic:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,12628.0.html

Hi!

Attachments

• XP-71.jpg
    XP-71.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 371
  • XP71.jpg
    XP71.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 877
  • XP71b.jpg
    XP71b.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 889
  • curtiss_xp71_1.jpg
    curtiss_xp71_1.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 944
  • XP-71_DATA.jpg
    XP-71_DATA.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 1,043
  • xp-71_10.jpg
    xp-71_10.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 1,132
  • XP-71 DISPLAY MODEL[1].jpg
    XP-71 DISPLAY MODEL[1].jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 397
If you compare the drawing posted by Vietcong on the first page with the drawing posted by blackkite above, you will notice a power plant difference. All accounts say the aircraft was to be powered by Pratt & Whitney R-4360 engines. However, in the drawing posted by blackkite, the engines are Wright R-2160 Tornadoes. Also note the smaller nacelle inlets of the R-2160-powered version. Obviously at some point, most likely early on, CW was thinking of the R-2160s, which only makes sense seeing how the engine was a CW project in need of applications.

WJPearce said:
If you compare the drawing posted by Vietcong on the first page with the drawing posted by blackkite above, you will notice a power plant difference. All accounts say the aircraft was to be powered by Pratt & Whitney R-4360 engines. However, in the drawing posted by blackkite, the engines are Wright R-2160 Tornadoes. Also note the smaller nacelle inlets of the R-2160-powered version. Obviously at some point, most likely early on, CW was thinking of the R-2160s, which only makes sense seeing how the engine was a CW project in need of applications.
Many thanks. I can understand what my post is!
It's from Japanese google picture searched using the word "カーチス(Curtiss) XP-71". ;)
Also XP-71 wing shape of Pratt & Whitney R-4360 engine version is different from Wright R-2160 Tornadoes engine version.
XP-71 with R-4360 seems to be draggy. Engine diameter and vertical tail stabilizer area are large.

blackkite, this is of course a purely fictional paint scheme for a purely fictional variant. It should not be featured here! You can still provide links to "what if" pages which you find interesting or relevant, provided you clearly specify what to expect there! Sorry, but I'm removing your attachment right away.

Sorry about it. Thanks Star. ;)

I have a copy of the original (or AN original) Curtiss GA 3-view of the proposed XP-71.
My intent is to redraw it and it is "up front" on the list of things to do. These drawings are intended for two different books - one I am co-authoring and the other one of my own. If my co-author will give the okay, I'll post the drawings here when finished to act as a bit of a long-term "teaser" for what other goodies you will find within.
I'll let you know.
AlanG

ACResearcher said:
I have a copy of the original (or AN original) Curtiss GA 3-view of the proposed XP-71.
My intent is to redraw it and it is "up front" on the list of things to do. These drawings are intended for two different books - one I am co-authoring and the other one of my own. If my co-author will give the okay, I'll post the drawings here when finished to act as a bit of a long-term "teaser" for what other goodies you will find within.
I'll let you know.
AlanG

ACResearcher, that's a lot of great news coming our way! ;D

Not only many of us would love to this three-view arrangement, but it also means you are currently working on a book devoted to Curtiss! Given the amount of Curtiss archives you got you hands on, I'm thrilled to hear that you have resolved to actively work at digging through it and making some sense of it all... This book on Curtiss will very likely become No. 1 on my list of things to buy when it comes out! What's the other book about, by the way? ::)

Stargazer2006 said:
ACResearcher said:
I'll let you know.
AlanG

ACResearcher, that's a lot of great news coming our way! ;D

Not only many of us would love to this three-view arrangement, but it also means you are currently working on a book devoted to Curtiss! Given the amount of Curtiss archives you got you hands on, I'm thrilled to hear that you have resolved to actively work at digging through it and making some sense of it all... This book on Curtiss will very likely become No. 1 on my list of things to buy when it comes out! What's the other book about, by the way? ::)
Me,too. Big news. :D

I came across this picture while accessioning in part of the Bob Burgess Collection at the museum. This had been mixed in with part of his father's XP-55 Ascender photo collection.

In the information block on the back, the title reads "Gen Sidell - Mockup"

Attachments

• XP-71 mockup.jpg
    XP-71 mockup.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 345
Many thanks for the pic.

It gives an excellent idea about the dimensions of the aircraft thanks to the inclusion of the human element. The exposed view of the XP-71 main weapon clearly shows the concept of flying anti-aircraft artillery under it was conceived.

pometablava said:
Many thanks for the pic.

It gives an excellent idea about the dimensions of the aircraft thanks to the inclusion of the human element. The exposed view of the XP-71 main weapon clearly shows the concept of flying anti-aircraft artillery under it was conceived.

True. And it adds some likelihood to the CW-26 being the same as the "Sky-Clearer interceptor pursuit" of 1944 mentioned in one archive.

Early tornado powered design

From here; http://ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/rear-engine-pusher-fighter-28895-3.html

Attachments

• tmp_10020-XP71649551264.jpg
    tmp_10020-XP71649551264.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 546
I've never seen that phantom view before - sure wish a high res was available. Thanks for sharing. -SP

sienar said:

Steve Pace said:
I've never seen that phantom view before

Er... I think you guys have not looked at the rest of this topic, then...

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3281.msg187976.html#msg187976

Skyblazer said:
sienar said:

Steve Pace said:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3281.msg187976.html#msg187976
On my part, you are correct. Still there isn't a good high res of it in phantom view. -SP

Skyblazer said:
sienar said:

Steve Pace said:

Sorry.It's low resolution.I don't know well what is what for this drawing. :(

Hi!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287752&page=381

Attachments

• p715mt.gif
    p715mt.gif
    91 KB · Views: 483
  • kuizzp13.jpg
    kuizzp13.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 450
  • XP-71.jpg
    XP-71.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 475
ACResearcher said:
I'll let you know.
AlanG
Mr.Alan Griffith. Please let me know that,
Is this book already published?
Is this book include XP-71 phantom view drawings?
We already know that this book include this XP-71 variant drawing.

Attachments

• XP-71 3-view for posting.jpg
    XP-71 3-view for posting.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 314
  • 51YeL4Sk2DL.jpg
    51YeL4Sk2DL.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 460
Hi!
We can see turbo charger in the fuselage and forced cooling fan which located front end of the engine nacelle.

Source :
https://books.google.co.jp/books?id=4EAcBQAAQBAJ&pg=PA139&lpg=PA139&dq=curtiss+xp-71&source=bl&ots=Kt6KI3Nn7-&sig=AZb9dc8A1Xc3uSoqL86kib80NHQ&hl=ja&sa=X&ved=0CBsQ6AEwADgyahUKEwijweDIzt_IAhWBN5QKHbO1Dw4#v=onepage&q=curtiss%20xp-71&f=false

I found two kind of book cover. Same book?

Attachments

• XP-71 PHANTOM VIEW.jpg
    XP-71 PHANTOM VIEW.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 220
  • content.png
    content.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 486
  • 61RSAP2dCQL__SY498_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    61RSAP2dCQL__SY498_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 166
Hello all!

Blackkite, Tony Buttler and my new book, "American Secret Projects: Fighter, Bomber and Attack Aircraft 1937-1945", should be available next week. I will be attending the IPMS/UK at Telford and will be giving a talk going into greater depth on several of the aircraft featured in the book. In addition, Tony and I will be at the Crecy table signing books for those interested.

The "phantom" illustration in our book is from a scan of the original and differs from that in Bill Norton's in the aircraft's configuration, showing the amount of changes the aircraft went through prior to its final cancellation in 1943. I believe the 3-view drawing I did and that is shown in this thread is that of the original configuration, while the straighter wing was the final iteration. The problem with researching Curtiss is trying to find original documents. No one is quite sure where they all went although I believe I have a line on a great deal of them. The problem there is that they are in storage and the organization which has them has no real idea what they have and doesn't have enough funding to go back through them (and millions of other documents and photos), catalogue, index and make them available. And they will certainly not allow a "mere mortal" to go into the stacks.

I hope this answers your question satisfactorily. I have a great interest in the XP-71 and have a copy of the USAAF Case Study on the aircraft which I will be using in a future title.

AlanG

Thanks for exciting information Alan-san.
We already see your book information in Amazon Japan now.
They said that this book is out of stock now. ;D
I can't wait to get the copy.
I feel XP-71's concept except propeller design is almost same as B-36 which have same engine and single propeller.
I imagine XP-71 needed smaller diameter contra rotating propeller to keep propeller ground clearance at take off and landing.
XP-71's nose is long to adjust the position of ceter of gavity and air center same as B-36. F5F Skyrocket nose was very short. ;D
Great desgin!!!

Attachments

• Amazon Japan scan.jpg
    Amazon Japan scan.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 137
  • f5f_grumman_skyrocket.jpg
    f5f_grumman_skyrocket.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 180