• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Current US hypersonic weapons projects. (General)

Josh_TN

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
5G is arguably a technological dead end.
Could you explain?
Basically it is extremely overhyped, not to mention the very opposite of secure and robust. Which is a bit ironic given that one of the impetuses behind development of the technology, such as it is, was to try to salvage the dead end that is Cloud Computing. 4G is arguably the high water mark of mobile phone/device technology as we know it, and even that has struggled a fair bit.

Both the 5G hardware and software protocols & standards are an unholy mess, to put it mildly.
The last point sounds like a standardization issue, not a technology issue. As for secure and robust - I assume that 5G must trade these for speed? I can't see how modern equipment would have less secure encryption otherwise. Assuming you are correct, which I must say seems like quite a stretch to believe right now, what would be the next format in mobile devices? A satellite service like Starlink? If 5G is completely standardized, then I don't see how the format could be fundamentally insecure on unreliable.

quellish

I am not actually here.
Reaction score
[QUOTE="FighterJock, post: 401430, member: 892]

Pity that the SR-72 was only a paper study, and that RATTLERS was cancelled after flight hardware was built. I wonder why they were not proceeded with.
[/QUOTE]

Engine ran into problems

rooster

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
There's always problems. You don't give up because because of metal. You give up when theory is wrong.

AN/AWW-14(V)

Reaction score
DARPA

Lockheed Martin was awarded a contract to support the OpFires Phase 3 program. This modification exercises the Contract Line Item Number 0005 option (valued at $7,451,558) for the development, building, integration, assembly, testing and checkout of the propulsion components for the Stage 2 section of the missile. Work will be performed in Camden, Arkansas (50%); Huntsville, Alabama (45%); and Orange, Virginia (5%), with an estimated completion date of January 2022.

The OpFires program will conduct a series of subsystem tests designed to evaluate component design and system compatibility for future tactical operating environments. Phase 2 will mature designs and demonstrate performance with hot/static fire tests targeted for late 2020. Phase 3, which will focus on weapon system integration, will culminate in integrated end-to-end flight tests in 2022.
AIR FORCE

Leidos, has been awarded a ceiling $30,000,000 contract for high speed attack munitions research. The five-year contract will support research and development, advancing state of the art in weapons airframe research to explore the impacts of complex flight environments on advanced weapon systems. Work will be performed at Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, and is expected to be completed August 2021 for the initial task order.

Last edited:

Lc89

Reaction score
What would high speed attack ammunitions be?

bobbymike

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score

AN/AWW-14(V)

Reaction score
RFI: Expendable Hypersonic Multi-Mission Air-Breathing Demonstrator (Mayhem) Program

The Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) is interested in the design, fabrication, integration, and necessary research needed to enable a larger-scale expendable air-breathing hypersonic multi-mission flight demonstrator. The Mayhem System Demonstrator (MSD) will need to be capable of carrying larger payloads over distances further than current hypersonic capabilities allow. The payload bay will be modular and capable of carrying/delivering at least three distinct payloads in order to execute multiple Government-defined mission sets. AFRL has previously accomplished similar research under multiple efforts including the Enhanced Operational Scramjet Technology effort (Broad Area Announcement BAA-12-07-PKP), Enabling Technologies for High-speed Operable Systems (BAA-FA8650-17-S-2002), High Speed Strike Weapon Program, and Hypersonic Air-breathing Weapon Concept Program.

To increase industry involvement and benefit from focused tasking, AFRL is considering the use of two multiple-award IDIQs to accomplish this effort. The two Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) contracts would be split into groups, each encompassing one propulsion system development and vehicle development and integration. Each IDIQ contract group would share a single-cost ceiling with a multiple-award IDIQ contract scoped to each of the two focus areas: 1) larger scale propulsion development and flight-weight ground test and 2) air vehicle design and scramjet integration. Follow-on awards would include fabrication, flight test, and vehicle modification for integration of various payloads. Multiple-award IDIQ contracts would be planned under one solicitation.

Conceptually, two different air vehicle and two different propulsion contractors could be awarded each one of the multiple-award IDIQ contracts. Alternatively, a single contractor could be awarded both separate focus area contracts. Due to the nature of the research and focus areas, information sharing and resource sharing would be essential. As such, formation and agreement to an Associate Contractor Agreement (ACA) or a Consortium Agreement between the vehicle and propulsion contractors would be necessary. A similar agreement amongst all contractors is being considered.

Competition for future task order requirements after initial award is anticipated between the IDIQ contracts. The AFRL Program Manager may choose to order tasks from one of the two IDIQ contract groups based on the available funding and evidential progress towards achieving objectives.

dark sidius

Reaction score
It could open the door of something refurbishable or reusable. I could land with a parafoil .

Bhurki

Reaction score
"The Air Force is seeking a new, air-breathing hypersonic system, nicknamed “Mayhem,” that would be larger than the AGM-183A Air-launched Rapid Response Weapon".....

"In April, USAF solicited industry for a “solid rocket-boosted, air-breathing, hypersonic conventional cruise missile” that could be launched from existing fighters and bombers. It’s likely Mayhem is the same project."

Larger than arrw but still carried by fighters?!

sferrin

Reaction score
"The Air Force is seeking a new, air-breathing hypersonic system, nicknamed “Mayhem,” that would be larger than the AGM-183A Air-launched Rapid Response Weapon".....

"In April, USAF solicited industry for a “solid rocket-boosted, air-breathing, hypersonic conventional cruise missile” that could be launched from existing fighters and bombers. It’s likely Mayhem is the same project."

F-15

TAOG

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
AFRE program will almost complete in FY2021.

View attachment 627736

Also, Air Force want the scramjet engine which may power the future hypersonic vehicle (multi-mission cruiser) can operate up to mach 7 and work efficiently during maneuvers.

View attachment 627737
This is the Mayhem:

No demonstrator by that name appears in Air Force budget documents, but a spending justification report published in February does name an effort to launch a program called the “Multi-Mission Cruiser.”

“Mayhem, in its early planning stages, was described as a ‘Multi-Mission Cruiser’ due to the focus on sustained hypersonic flight capabilities independent of potential payloads,” AFRL said in response to emailed questions.

Bhurki

Reaction score

F-15
I meant F15 Ex centreline is rated for the arrw at 7,300 lbs max. How will any larger a missile be carried?
Therefore, mayhem certainly must be the same size/weight as arrw and not any larger.

sferrin

Reaction score

F-15
I meant F15 Ex centreline is rated for the arrw at 7,300 lbs max. How will any larger a missile be carried?
Therefore, mayhem certainly must be the same size/weight as arrw and not any larger.
Who's to say AGM-183A weighs 7,000lbs? Mayhem could weigh more than AGM-183A and still weigh less than 7,300lbs.

Bhurki

Reaction score
Who's to say AGM-183A weighs 7,000lbs?
Umm.. Roper?!
7,300 lbs, 270"x30" was quoted..
Also, those dimensions match the ones deduced from the pic from B52 flight tests, so i don't see the mass deviating too much from whats announced.

Also, considering other solid rockets on various missiles of similar size(atacms on x51, iskander/kinzhal, df-11, skybolt), this seems the appropriate mass based on these dimensions.

marauder2048

"I should really just relax"
Reaction score

This looks to be completely wrong. The earlier FBO solicitation was announcing sole-source proposals form Boeing, Lockheed and Raytheon
for an air-breathing hypersonic weapon that was fighter/bomber compatible. It's run by a different program office.

MAYHEM is an AFRL RFI and it's far from clear it's even air launched.

Bhurki

Reaction score
MAYHEM is an AFRL RFI and it's far from clear it's even air launched.
If it concerns AFRL, then its bound to be air launched. There's nothing in usaf inventory other than minuteman that's ground launched.

marauder2048

"I should really just relax"
Reaction score
Last edited:

sferrin

Reaction score
Umm.. Roper?!
Also, those dimensions match the ones deduced from the pic from B52 flight tests, so i don't see the mass deviating too much from whats announced.

Also, considering other solid rockets on various missiles of similar size(atacms on x51, iskander/kinzhal, df-11, skybolt), this seems the appropriate mass based on these dimensions.
Any chance of a link? I don't recall seeing either a weight or length given for AGM-183.

Flyaway

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Mayhem is a expendable testbed program designed at developing engines for things like the SR-72.

Aviation Week was first to confirm a direct link between Mayhem and this "multi-cycle" engine work for a story it published on Aug. 20, 2020. The Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) had first publicly announced the project in a contracting announcement calling for information about a potential "Expendable Hypersonic Multi-Mission Air-Breathing Demonstrator" design on Aug. 12. The Air Force expects the Mayhem demonstrator to be larger than the AGM-183A Air-launched Rapid Response Weapon(ARRW) hypersonic missile and be able to carry at least three separate payloads per flight.
The Air Force is already performing advanced ramjet and scramjet work, previously revealing that it achieved what it said was record-breaking performance from a scramjet during ground tests last year. Earlier this month, the service handed what was effectively a $1.5 million research and development grant to the Hermeus Corporation, which has been actively testing its own proprietary combined cycle jet engine design. The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) has also initiated its own multi-cycle Advanced Full Range Engine (AFRE) program.

Last edited:

Bhurki

Reaction score
Umm.. Roper?!

Any chance of a link? I don't recall seeing either a weight or length given for AGM-183.
View: https://mobile.twitter.com/TheDEWLine/status/1233523377782054912

Flyaway

Reaction score
Why are people seemingly conflating two different programs together on this thread when there is no reason too? If you read the AW week article it is clear what Mayhem is for. I linked to the The Drive article that quotes it because the AW article is behind a paywall.

sferrin

Reaction score
Umm.. Roper?!

Did you READ the link? AGM-183 is a Lockheed Martin product. "And Boeing showed a “multipurpose booster” on centerline on #AWS20 display model, weighing 7,300lb and 270-in long." This is the Boeing missile they're referring to:

ERyitnFW4AAx7Wl.jpg

Bhurki

Reaction score
Umm.. Roper?!

Did you READ the link? AGM-183 is a Lockheed Martin product. "And Boeing showed a “multipurpose booster” on centerline on #AWS20 display model, weighing 7,300lb and 270-in long." This is the Boeing missile they're referring to:

View attachment 639836
Well, i said something about the matching dimensions as well. Arrw literally is the same length/diameter as this, and it won't be entirely dubious to assume its weight as identical as well.

sferrin

Reaction score
Well, i said something about the matching dimensions as well. Arrw literally is the same length/diameter as this,
I asked for evidence that the length and weight of AGM-183 was published. You give me links for a completely different missile and say, "AGM-183 is just like this". That is not evidence. It suggests you've got nothing, and don't really understand what you're reading.

Flyaway

Reaction score
Umm.. Roper?!

View attachment 639836
Well, i said something about the matching dimensions as well. Arrw literally is the same length/diameter as this, and it won't be entirely dubious to assume its weight as identical as well.
What on Earth are you on about?

Bhurki

Reaction score
I asked for evidence that the length and weight of AGM-183 was published. You give me links for a completely different missile and say, "AGM-183 is just like this". That is not evidence. It suggests you've got nothing, and don't really understand what you're reading.
Chill..

Dimensions of arrw a few pages back were estimated to be 6.6m x 0.76m
Then there's this info about a booster 270' ( 6.7m) x 30' (0.76m) being 7,300 lbs.
I just superimposed the info and assumed arrw to be the same weight.
Its ok to call me out if you think i'm wrong, but don't blow you top off.

dark sidius

Reaction score
Mayhem have nothing to do with a F-15 capacity, more bigger scramjet and bigger shape vehicle.

Lc89

Reaction score
If I have not misunderstood the Mayhem is nothing more than a hypersonic missile with a scramjet that doesn't require an auxiliary propulsion rocket to reach hypersonic speeds?

Flyaway

Reaction score
If I have not misunderstood the Mayhem is nothing more than a hypersonic missile with a scramjet that doesn't require an auxiliary propulsion rocket to reach hypersonic speeds?
It’s an expendable testbed for propulsion development, why do people keep assuming it’s weapon.

Bhurki

Reaction score
why do people keep assuming it’s weapon.
Largely because of the first line from the airforcemag article -

"The Air Force is seeking a new, air-breathing hypersonic system, nicknamed “Mayhem,” that would be larger than the AGM-183A Air-launched Rapid Response Weapon."

If you compare something to a weapon, then more times than not, it is a weapon.

But i do see how a 'quick read' would lead to the misunderstanding.

sferrin

Reaction score
Chill..

Dimensions of arrw a few pages back were estimated to be 6.6m x 0.76m
Then there's this info about a booster 270' ( 6.7m) x 30' (0.76m) being 7,300 lbs.
I just superimposed the info and assumed arrw to be the same weight.
Its ok to call me out if you think i'm wrong, but don't blow you top off.

How you interpret getting called out is on you. I pointed out your claims, nothing more.

Flyaway

Reaction score
why do people keep assuming it’s weapon.
Largely because of the first line from the airforcemag article -

"The Air Force is seeking a new, air-breathing hypersonic system, nicknamed “Mayhem,” that would be larger than the AGM-183A Air-launched Rapid Response Weapon."

If you compare something to a weapon, then more times than not, it is a weapon.

But i do see how a 'quick read' would lead to the misunderstanding.
No it’s the fact that the AW article appears to says something completely different about it, have you read the AW article?