4) ? ?
5) ? ?
6) ? ?
7) ? ?
8) ? ?
9) ? ?

That you can add ?

Hi my friends!

ei, my friend hesham, Douglas Model 558--proposal of 1945 year and Model 592--proposal of 1943 ???
D-592 proposal since WWII.
Douglas could be respond competition of XFR-1---Douglas Model 4??

ei, my friend Apophenia Curtiss his Model 99 (later XF15C-1) not respond competition of XFR-1.

Hi Nugo,

in the book of American fighters since 1917,they spoke about the
Curtiss XF15C-1 as intended to compete the Ryan XFR-1.

Attachments

• bell proposal.JPG
    bell proposal.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,188
Hi,

and may be the Goodyear GA-5 was submitted to this competition,which
was discovered by my dear Tailspin.

hesham said:
Hi, and may be the Goodyear GA-5 was submitted to this competition,which
was discovered by my dear Tailspin.

The Ryan XFR-1 had already flown by the time the Goodyear submitted a proposal to BuAer in December 1944. I suspect that it was an unsolicited proposal, which was not uncommon.

Thank you my dear Tailspin,

and for the Douglas D-592,it was not submitted to this tender.

hesham said:
Thank you my dear Tailspin, and for the Douglas D-592, it was not submitted to this tender.

? The Douglas 592 was submitted against the 1948 VF interceptor requirement that was won by the McDonnell proposal of its Model 58 that became the F3H.

but do you know the other contenders in This Ryan FR-1 competition ?.

hesham said:
Thank you my dear Tailspin, but do you know the other contenders in This Ryan FR-1 competition ?.

I don't have anything with me that addresses the initiation of the Ryan FR-1 program and I didn't trip over any documents that described a competition in my my most recent visit to Archives II. I'll keep my eye out for it.

and I suggest that,McDonnell Model-18J and Bell D-22 may be submitted to
this competition.

My dear Tophe discovered this patent,

for Goodyear,and I suspect if it was GA-5,but we can't confirm it was submitted to this contest.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    55 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
Hi Folks

In Fighters Over the Fleet: Naval Air Defence from Biplanes to the Cold War (Friedman), there is mention of the Grumman G-67, an F7F-2 with an I-20 jet engine in each nacelle behind the radials. It was a proposal submitted to BuAir in August 1943, so the timing seems right.

Also appears here:

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3149.msg25421.html#msg25421

Harry

snark said:
In Fighters Over the Fleet: Naval Air Defence from Biplanes to the Cold War (Friedman), there is mention of the Grumman G-67, an F7F-2 with an I-20 jet engine in each nacelle behind the radials. It was a proposal submitted to BuAir in August 1943, so the timing seems right.

Yeah. And it was also described in the exact same manner in the old Docavia book "Les Avions Grumman". Surely a likely contender.

Hi,

I saw on Net,a patent for mixed powered fighter,with inverted gull-wing shape,and it was never mentioned in this thread,unfortunately I was searched in anther subject,so I didn't care,can anyone help or remember me,what was it ?,and it was from early 1940s !.

Last edited:
Of course the Douglas D-592 was wrong,but I think it was many patent
to a mixed powered aircraft during this period.

Hi,

I think the Curtiss XF15C-1 was not involved in this competition,because it was appeared after chosen Ryan,but may or I suggest that,the Curtiss submitted a design in "P" series,then the company made a private venture and developed it into this ?.

Last edited:
We can say about the contenders,

1- Ryan Model 28 or XFR-1
2- Grumman Design 57(G-57)
3- Goodyear GA-5
4- McDonnell Model-18H ?
5- Bell D-22 ?
6- Douglas D-?
7- Curtiss P-?
8- ------?
9- ------?

Last edited:

Attachments

• McDonnell Aircraft Model 18H-2.jpg
    McDonnell Aircraft Model 18H-2.jpg
    891.4 KB · Views: 66
  • McDonnell Aircraft Model 18H.jpg
    McDonnell Aircraft Model 18H.jpg
    665.5 KB · Views: 69
Well, while not a direct competitor with the FR-1 Fireball, it was a similar design with mixed powerplants, and that was the XP-81

1704064055616.png