Cold war Submarine Aircraft Carriers Projects.

If anyone can find the old Eagle Book on Aircraft from the early 60s I am pretty sure they have a submarine aircraft carrier drawn in there, launching jets from its bows, torpedo fashion.

TV 21 the children's comic from 1964 has an excellent submarine carrier vertical launching its jets.

UK 75
hesham found it in a German magazine here.
Post in thread 'Aviation, Imagination of the Future from the Past' https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/th...-of-the-future-from-the-past.2504/post-277484

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    574.3 KB · Views: 89
I've found that on wiki :
A more economical plan was also conceived to convert World War II fleet submarines to carry a seaplane version of the A4D Skyhawk in a similar manner to the Regulus missile-equipped SSGs, using hydro-skis for takeoff as the Sea Dart did.
With this source : Friedman, Norman (1994). U.S. Submarines Since 1945: An Illustrated Design History. Annapolis, Maryland: United States Naval Institute.

Does anyone know more about this ?

I've found that on wiki :

With this source : Friedman, Norman (1994). U.S. Submarines Since 1945: An Illustrated Design History. Annapolis, Maryland: United States Naval Institute.

Does anyone know more about this ?
First I've heard of it.

I can't imagine why you'd want a Skyhawk or a Sea Dart on a sub instead of Regulus/Regulus II. You're not packing any more aircraft into the hull by using a Skyhawk, and the Regulus has longer range.

I also found this plan in the "Seaplane jet fighter" thread, which shows different proposals designed to be fitted into a Regulus hangar.
The second is a modified A4D with folding wings, tail and nose.
DouglasAircraftRegulusHanger.jpg

First I've heard of it.

I can't imagine why you'd want a Skyhawk or a Sea Dart on a sub instead of Regulus/Regulus II. You're not packing any more aircraft into the hull by using a Skyhawk, and the Regulus has longer range.
Also, recovering anything but the Sea Dart is going to be sketchy.

So if you can't recover the plane, it's only carrying one nuke, and Regulus II is faster and longer ranged; why are we trying to use a manned aircraft?

So if you can't recover the plane, it's only carrying one nuke, and Regulus II is faster and longer ranged; why are we trying to use a manned aircraft?
You can at least recover the pilot, who presumably offers some advantage over a big box of electronics. Which, depending on the date and your cynicism, is either greater accuracy, or greater potential to win medals.