• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

China's New Helicopters - Z-10 and Z-19

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score

Attachments

Deino

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score

yasotay

Reaction score
My (almost pure) guess is catastophic tail rotor failure. I say that because the tail section with the tail rotor is completely gone from the aircraft in the pictures and the main rotors are fully intact. Intact main rotors means that the main rotors did not fail and lop off the tail rotor. Loss of that much weight at the back of the aircraft made for a sudden forward shift in the cg of the aircraft. The aircrew did a good job just getting the aircraft to the ground without becoming a smoking hole. It appears there are decent safety features in the design as the crew survived and the main rotor system did not flex down into the cockpit.

I would not be surprised to read of a grounding of the type while they explore to see if it was a material failure. These sort of things are pretty normal for new production aircraft. One only hopes the big problems can be found without loss of life.

Blitzo

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Apparently the area it crashed in has a lot of high tension cables, my guess is the rotor caught onto one.

That sounds like the most reasonable explanation for such a sudden break of the tail.

yasotay

Reaction score
Blitzo said:
Apparently the area it crashed in has a lot of high tension cables, my guess is the rotor caught onto one.

That sounds like the most reasonable explanation for such a sudden break of the tail.
A very real possibility

Deino

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Seems indeed to be a flight into power lines, if you look closely at the strongly bent rear cablecutter (as well the front one is even missing completely). :eek:

Deino

Attachments

yasotay

Reaction score
I would have to agree that the probability that the aircraft went through powerlines is the highest likelyhood given the photo.

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/china-developing-attack-helicopter-stealth-abilities-052857344.html

BEIJING (Reuters) - China has begun developing a new generation of attack helicopter which will have stealth abilities and should start deliveries to the Chinese armed forces by about 2020, the official China Daily newspaper said on Friday.

The helicopter is being developed by Aviation Industry Corp of China (AVIC), one of the country's leading arms manufacturers, the state-run English-language publication said.

Its stealth capabilities will "reshape the combat patterns" of the People's Liberation Army, company chairman Lin Zuoming was quoted as saying.

"It is a trend that the ground force will become increasingly dependent on helicopters because they have better strike capability and mobility than armored vehicles, and transport supplies to frontier troops," Lin said.

The company's chief helicopter designer, Wu Ximing, said the aircraft would have "supreme maneuverability in complicated environments, outstanding survivability and joint operation ability", the report added.

It provided no other details.

President Xi Jinping has pushed to toughen and modernize the country's 2.3 million-strong armed forces as China takes a more assertive stance in the region, particularly in the South China and East China seas.

That has included developing a series of high-tech weapons, including stealth jets, aircraft carriers and emerging technology aimed at shooting down satellites.

(Reporting by Ben Blanchard; Editing by Joseph Radford)
Potentially bad news for the Z-10 program?

Deino

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Grey Havoc said:
Potentially bad news for the Z-10 program?
Why ?? until this new type will fly or even more roll-off the production line we have surely 202x ...

yasotay

Reaction score
US sells Apache and Cobra, Russia sells Mi-35, Mi-28 and Ka52. So why can't China sell two attack / reconnaissance helicopters?

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Z-10ME at Zhuhai 2018

https://www.sinodefenceforum.com/z-10-thread.t2879/page-239

Attachments

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
More

Attachments

yasotay

Reaction score
I am especially impressed with the new avionics shown with the aircraft.

It turns out that is the ammo compartment... not a bad spot actually, if you are the people putting the ammo in the aircraft.

Attachments

Moose

Reaction score
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
External panels are supposed to be graphene armour panels. Z-10ME also has uprated engines and modified intake and exhausts, among other changes.
Aye, and if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
From 2015

Chinese scientists have discovered a “super material” that is as light as a balloon yet as strong as metal, which could be developed by the mainland’s military into armour that protects troops and tanks without sacrificing mobility, a mainland study reports.
The foam-like material was created when tiny tubes of graphene were formed into a cellular structure that had the same stability as a diamond, said the study led by researchers at the Chinese Academy of Sciences’ Shanghai Institute of Ceramics.

Graphene, an extremely thin sheet of carbon with extraordinary properties, has attracted great interest among researchers in recent years.

It is about 207 times stronger than steel by weight and able to conduct heat and electricity with very high efficiency.

However, the new material was able to support something that was 40,000 times its own weight without bending, said the report in the latest issue of the journal, Advanced Materials.

One piece of the graphene foam withstood the impact of a blow that had a force of more than 14,500 pounds per square inch – almost as much pressure as is experienced at the deepest depth of the world’s ocean – about 10.9km – known as Challenger Deep, in the Mariana Trench, off the coast of the US island of Guam.

The Shanghai research team said their newly created material could withstand more external shocks than other previously reported graphene materials.

It could also be squashed to just 5 per cent of its original size and still return to its original shape, and remained intact after the process was repeated 1,000 times.

The properties of the new material meant one possible use could be as a cushion under the surface of bulletproof vests and on the outside of tanks to absorb the shocks from incoming projectiles, the study said.

Attachments

Last edited:

FighterJock

Reaction score
Z-19 with mast-mounted MMW radar - high-resolution images from the 2019 China Helicopter Expo in Tianjin.

View attachment 620078
View attachment 620070View attachment 620071View attachment 620072View attachment 620073View attachment 620074View attachment 620075View attachment 620076View attachment 620077
Will be interesting to see how the mast mounted milimetric wave radar compares to the Longbow radar of the Apache in terms of range and number of targets that it can detect.

totoro

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Will be interesting to see how the mast mounted milimetric wave radar compares to the Longbow radar of the Apache in terms of range and number of targets that it can detect.

I don't think we'll see any figures for that sort of comparison anytime soon. Perhaps when/if some variant of the system gets promoted for export.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Just to be sure, given how this thing lacks power, it has to be an aesa to have any meaningful utilitity with such small enclosure.