Purported to be J-10 crash in Zhanjiang, Guangdong province on October 18.

https://twitter.com/alert5/status/1053032479781642240

seruriermarshal said:
Purported to be J-10 crash in Zhanjiang, Guangdong province on October 18.

https://twitter.com/alert5/status/1053032479781642240

Yes, allegedly too close to populated area and the pilot decided to stay ... R.I.P. :(

Otherwise here an image of a J-10C assigned to the 131st Brigade

Attachments

• J-10C 74x2x - 131. Briagde - Zhang Hengping - 1xs.jpg
    J-10C 74x2x - 131. Briagde - Zhang Hengping - 1xs.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 873
DqpsqlBVsAES4qw.jpg

So, with J-10B test airframe going to appear at Zhuhai Airshow with WS-10 TVC variant, does it tell us anything about likelihood of said engine variant appearing in 1) PLAAF J-10B units? 2) Exported J-10s? or 3) Non-TVC variant of WS10 appearing in service with J10B anywhere?

Many more here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/145141267@N03/

Attachments

• 43832134290_d0679054be_o.jpg
    43832134290_d0679054be_o.jpg
    1,013.8 KB · Views: 471
  • 42537826120_87381585c4_o.jpg
    42537826120_87381585c4_o.jpg
    865.3 KB · Views: 431
Nice! Hopefully we'll get some nice J-20 vids from this show too. :D

4th batch of J-10C powered by WS-10B again. And this time (in the 3rd image) the MAWS have been installed. Digits on the side of the intake looks like 4.2_?

Attachments

• GEnN7DI.jpg
    GEnN7DI.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 111
  • Ri0K2uL.jpg
    Ri0K2uL.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 153
  • EJoMUqsU4AE70ca.jpg
    EJoMUqsU4AE70ca.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 204
Pakistan J-10 purchase again being talked about

edit: wrong media source:

Last edited:
JF-17 is produced locally in Pakistan. J-10, as far as I know, is a pure purchase, without local production.
Maybe in the future, if there are additional orders beyond this one squadron, we may see some agreements on local final assembly. But even then, I doubt J-10 figures will ever be very high, compared to JF-17.
These J-10 are not likely to overshadow the F-16 fleet in numbers. And the whole F-16 fleet in Pakistan isn't that numerous at 60-ish airframes. 40-ish of which are quite old 1980s airframes.
Right now, there should be another 100 or so obsolete J7, Mirage III/5 remaining.

Right now, there should be another 100 or so obsolete J7, Mirage III/5 remaining.
All of them in theory could be upgraded with RD-33 or WS-13 turbofan...
The Pakistani Mirage III and 5 airframes are between 40 to 50 years old.
The ROSE acquisition and upgrade programme was in my view a logical, well thought out, and successful programme. This resulted in increased numbers, an upgraded aircraft, and developmental work for the Pakistani aviation industry.
The fact remains though, that the ROSE programme was terminated about 20 years ago now.
The time is approaching within the next 5 years or so to replace these fighters...hence the JF-17 programme and acquisition of the J-10.

The ROSE acquisition and upgrade programme was in my view a logical, well thought out, and successful programme. This resulted in increased numbers, an upgraded aircraft, and developmental work for the Pakistani aviation industry.
The fact remains though, that the ROSE programme was terminated about 20 years ago now.
The time is approaching within the next 5 years or so to replace these fighters...hence the JF-17 programme and acquisition of the J-10.

So if the Pakistani Mirage 3/5 fighters are between 40 to 50 years old, what fighter would the PAF buy next? My guess would probably involve the land based variant of the J-31 since China stopped the export of the J-20.

So if the Pakistani Mirage 3/5 fighters are between 40 to 50 years old, what fighter would the PAF buy next? My guess would probably involve the land based variant of the J-31 since China stopped the export of the J-20.
Why J-31?

JF-17 is one that should replace those light weight fighter jets.

J-10C is equivalent to F-16 Block 50/52 or Viper since Pakistan can no longer rely on importing from the U.S. no more.

Why J-31?

JF-17 is one that should replace those light weight fighter jets.

J-10C is equivalent to F-16 Block 50/52 or Viper since Pakistan can no longer rely on importing from the U.S. no more.

My thoughts about Pakistan buying the J-31 were based on the probable purchase of a modernised variant of the Su-57 by India in the future, it might or might not happen but you can never know for sure.

The JF-17 is the replacement for the F-7 and Mirage III/5. Not just in numbers, but to build upon the competency and experience gained in the ROSE programme. It is currently in production, over 150 have been produced, and almost 2/3rds of the airframe is manufactured in Pakistan, with complete final assembly also happening in-country.
Again, I think it's well thought out, and logical. These are new airframes, with some future development potential remaining.
I think the J-10 purchase being reported is to augment the F-16 fleet in airframe numbers and capability terms.
A higher end fighter to meet regional rivals purchasing or developing newer, more capable fighters is anybodies guess at this stage, and will likely only come into play once regional rivals induct such aircraft.

Last edited:
Does someone have an official Pakistan government link regarding a J-10 purchase?
I'm sceptical of social media announcements from 3rd parties, and prefer official statements.

View: https://youtu.be/XvyhiYbDfoo

Allegedly this is the Pakistani minister, announcing procurement. Don't speak the language so I can't vouch for that.

Surprised this isn't bigger news as Pakistan is first export customer of J-10.