Captain America movie & Luft'46 <SPOILERS>

theponja

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
I went to see the movie with my sun yesterday, and for my surprise the movies has two scenes with luft'46 stuff.

If you didn't see the movie stop here ;)

< SPOILER START !!!! >

The first aircraft depicted is our well know FW TRIEBFLÜGEL , the sequence is very short I'd like to see more.

le101.jpg

references everywhere in the Internet:

http://discaircraft.greyfalcon.us/FOCKE1.htm

and the second one it's an strange flying wing with mixed propulsion: propellers and jets. This scene is very large and it's more important in the movie.

I think is inspired in the Horten XVIII American bomber:

ho18adm.jpg

more information on :

http://www.luft46.com/horten/ho18a.html

I felt a bit disappointed because I'd like the represent correctly this one and not like a mixed propeller and jet plane.

But at least we've some luft'46 stuff in a movie :D :D :D !!!

< SPOILER END >

If you see the movie what's is your opinion? Anyone know about a mixed propulsion flying wing?

Regards
Alcides

I suppose it's no more improbable (as a concept) than the B-36D. Whether there actually was such a thing... *shrugs shoulders.* Captain America is a work of fiction after all, so the props people are free to go nuts and show what they want! (The tradition of depicting unknown Nazi aircraft really begins with the Flying Wing in Raiders of the Lost Ark.)

Given early jet engines' short working life and huge fuel consumption, it would make sense to have props for cruise and jets for 'Full Military Power' situations per the US' 'Six Turning, Four Burning'...

Um, didn't a 'Nam-era short-field hauler have similar augments ? The Fairchild C-119 with either one dorsal or two under-wing auxiliary jets aka 'jet-pack' derivatives ??

pathology_doc said:
I suppose it's no more improbable (as a concept) than the B-36D. Whether there actually was such a thing... *shrugs shoulders.* Captain America is a work of fiction after all, so the props people are free to go nuts and show what they want! (The tradition of depicting unknown Nazi aircraft really begins with the Flying Wing in Raiders of the Lost Ark.)

Thanks for pointing me to the B-36D. Of course this is fiction but it's nice to see they take care to look a least for the luft46 stuff, nice touch.
Ah , the flying wing in Raiders of the Lost Ark , a very nice recreation too, only the undercarriage is too big.

Alcides said:
Thanks for pointing me to the B-36D. Of course this is fiction but it's nice to see they take care to look a least for the luft46 stuff, nice touch.
Ah , the flying wing in Raiders of the Lost Ark , a very nice recreation too, only the undercarriage is too big.

I suspect that was driven by plot considerations, the need for the big Nazi mechanic to be able to walk under it (or it to be able to taxi over him) and be sliced into little bits by the prop :)

I agree it's nice that they actually looked at the "so what were the Nazis actually dreaming of?" scenario!

Also, Nik - I believe the German jet engines were especially short-lived...

Nik said:
Given early jet engines' short working life and huge fuel consumption, it would make sense to have props for cruise and jets for 'Full Military Power' situations per the US' 'Six Turning, Four Burning'...

Nik this is really a good reason to use that combination, after the doc posts I've searched and it was used in several aircraft like "Lockheed P2V Neptune , Convair B-36, Boeing C-97 Stratofreighter, Fairchild C-123 Provider, and Avro Shackleton.

I've to say to see Luft'46 stuff in the big screen is great :D :D :D