Burns Aircraft Company BA-42 light aircraft prototype......

Caravellarella

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Dear Boys and Girls, here is a small article in French about the Burns Aircraft Company BA-42 light aircraft which isn't a "project" and features a very squat, wide-chord tail-fin......

The article comes from the 1st August 1966 issue of Aviation Magazine International......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• Burns Aircraft Company BA-42 - Aviation Magazine International - Numéro 448 - 1 Août 1966.......jpg
    Burns Aircraft Company BA-42 - Aviation Magazine International - Numéro 448 - 1 Août 1966.......jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 322
Good Day All -

I came across this design and article in a batch of material donated to the Museum - went to google it and SPF came up as the first source!

Article is from the September/October 1970 issue of Aero magazine.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• Burns BR42 Article - Aero Sept-Oct-1970 - 1.jpg
    Burns BR42 Article - Aero Sept-Oct-1970 - 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 248
  • Burns BR42 Article - Aero Sept-Oct-1970 - 2.jpg
    Burns BR42 Article - Aero Sept-Oct-1970 - 2.jpg
    854.1 KB · Views: 243
The prototype first flew on 28 April 1966.
Burns was unusual in having a mid wing and ring-spar to allow a full-length cabin. They planned to incorporate a pressurized version later on.
The short-coupled T-tail was mounted atop a decidedly short vertical fin, but it did have strakes under the tail to aid in recovering from deep stalls. With only 210 horsepower per side, the Burns BA-42 was under-powered compared with the contemporary Cessna 337.
The Cessna 337 Skymaster (push-me-pull-you) with a pair of similar Continental IO-360 engines producing 210 horsepower, was considered under-powered by some owners and Riley (San Diego, USA) offered an upgrade to 310 hp. engines.

Last edited:
As a local Portage resident, I have passed these planes time and time again wondering what on God's green earth they were. I finally decided to sit down and figure it out. After spending hours and still coming up dry I looked up "portage airport" I found a picture of it sitting in the same spot it has for the past year or so. I noticed there was writing on the nose that said "The All-New Mael Twin" And from that, I struck gold. Bob Mael bought the pair of BA-42 (Burns Aircraft 4cyl, 2piston) in 1975. And from the looks of it, made a couple of changes. Like the absence of the strakes and the addition of another small window. A new paint job was also added to them. One yellow and one blue. I think it's crazy that someone would leave two incredible planes outside like they are. Because of the lack of photos of the plane, I added in a couple of pictures to show how they are now.

I would love to learn more, so if you have anything, please let me know.

Attachments

• DSC_0030.JPG
    DSC_0030.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 92
  • DSC_0036.JPG
    DSC_0036.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 98
  • DSC_0045.JPG
    DSC_0045.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 106
Last edited:
As a local Portage resident, I have passed these planes time and time again wondering what on God's green earth they were. I finally decided to sit down and figure it out. After spending hours and still coming up dry I looked up "portage airport" I found a picture of it sitting in the same spot it has for the past year or so. I noticed there was writing on the nose that said "The All-New Mael Twin" And from that, I struck gold. Bob Mael bought the pair of BA-42 (Burns Aircraft 4cyl, 2piston) in 1975. And from the looks of it, made a couple of changes. Like the absence of the strakes and the addition of another small window. A new paint job was also added to them. One yellow and one blue. I think it's crazy that someone would leave two incredible planes outside like they are. Because of the lack of photos of the plane, I added in a couple of pictures to show how they are now.

Thanks YoungPilot - I plan on being up in the Madison area in May and will have to run up to Portage to see these up close and take photos. I see in Google drive by that there is a Mael Construction Inc. on Silver Lake Drive but I don't see the aircraft outside at the time of the driveby. I'll give trhem a call before coming up to arrange a visit and photoshoot.

Much appreciated! Mark

My first guess is that Bob Mael could not afford to rent a hangar for his airplanes.

My first guess is that Bob Mael could not afford to rent a hangar for his airplanes.
The Mael name is well known around portage. He was a wealthy businessman, I think he was even mayor at one point. The only reason I think they're outside is because of his death. Not sure who the planes are in the hands of now

The Mael name is well known around portage. He was a wealthy businessman, I think he was even mayor at one point. The only reason I think they're outside is because of his death. Not sure who the planes are in the hands of now
Well, that bodes no good. They look to be in excellent shape now but....

Thanks - Mark N

Thanks YoungPilot - I plan on being up in the Madison area in May and will have to run up to Portage to see these up close and take photos. I see in Google drive by that there is a Mael Construction Inc. on Silver Lake Drive but I don't see the aircraft outside at the time of the driveby. I'll give trhem a call before coming up to arrange a visit and photoshoot.

Much appreciated! Mark
Good Day!

Looks like I will be visiting the airport on May 24th - will contact the airport manager as we get closer to that date to get permission, etc. Are they both still sitting outside?

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Much appreciated! Mark
Good Day!

Looks like I will be visiting the airport on May 24th - will contact the airport manager as we get closer to that date to get permission, etc. Are they both still sitting outside?

Enjoy the Day! Mark
Hey Mark,

They're still outside. I did find out how and why. Apparently, a group of people own them and are trying to sell both aircraft along with the design and rights to alter and reproduce. A big buyer wanted to get a good look at them and so they were brought outside. They declined the offer and wanted to leave them out. Doesn't make much sense to just leave them out like that but it is what it is. I'm not too sure what their plans are with the aircraft now. It's such a sad story.

Have a great day!

If Burns was never competitive with contemporary light, piston twins (e.g. Piper Navajo) then maybe it needs a major "re-purpose" for another role.
For example, Diamond re-purposing their light twin as a sensor hauler for countries that cannot military drones ... er ... the USA refuses to sell them the latest drone software.

Thanks YoungPilot - I plan on being up in the Madison area in May and will have to run up to Portage to see these up close and take photos. I see in Google drive by that there is a Mael Construction Inc. on Silver Lake Drive but I don't see the aircraft outside at the time of the driveby. I'll give them a call before coming up to arrange a visit and photoshoot.

Much appreciated! Mark
Good Day!

Enjoy the Day! Mark
Hey Mark,

They're still outside. I did find out how and why. Apparently, a group of people own them and are trying to sell both aircraft along with the design and rights to alter and reproduce. A big buyer wanted to get a good look at them and so they were brought outside. They declined the offer and wanted to leave them out. Doesn't make much sense to just leave them out like that but it is what it is. I'm not too sure what their plans are with the aircraft now. It's such a sad story.

Have a great day!
On our trip we will also spend time at the Kelch Aviation Museum in Brodhead. Though very much a rag & tube vintage aircraft Museum, I will make sure to let them know about this potential opportunity. Hate to see them rot away otherwise....

Any chance you know the airport manager's name? Always helps when asking permission to drop the name!

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Last edited:
Well, I visited the airframes yesterday in Portage and let's just say being outside is doing them no good, especial the #1 prototype. Eric the Airport Manager was very helpful and allowed my son and I complete access. He is also looking up the son's contact info as I will try to obtain at least a good three view of the aircraft. Long shot but hey, gotta try....

I'll start with photos of the 1st prototype.....

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• zMG_E8680.jpg
    zMG_E8680.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
  • zMG_2579.jpg
    zMG_2579.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • zMG_2580.jpg
    zMG_2580.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • zMG_2581.jpg
    zMG_2581.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • zMG_2582.jpg
    zMG_2582.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
  • zMG_2583.jpg
    zMG_2583.jpg
    640.9 KB · Views: 25
  • zMG_2585.jpg
    zMG_2585.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • zMG_2589.jpg
    zMG_2589.jpg
    775.9 KB · Views: 21
  • zMG_2592.jpg
    zMG_2592.jpg
    885 KB · Views: 21
  • zMG_2596.jpg
    zMG_2596.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 22
  • zMG_2598.jpg
    zMG_2598.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 20
  • zMG_2599.jpg
    zMG_2599.jpg
    847.5 KB · Views: 20
  • zMG_2600.jpg
    zMG_2600.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • zMG_2623.jpg
    zMG_2623.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • zMG_2632.jpg
    zMG_2632.jpg
Last edited:
And here is the #2 prototype which is in better shape overall. Not the different fairting shape at the wing to fuselage joint and some variations on the engine nacelles and exhaust piping. Fuselage is circular in cross section from the aft edge of the windshild to the tail cone.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• zMG_2635.jpg
    zMG_2635.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • zMG_2603.jpg
    zMG_2603.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • zMG_2604.jpg
    zMG_2604.jpg
  • zMG_2605.jpg
    zMG_2605.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • zMG_2608.jpg
    zMG_2608.jpg
  • zMG_2609.jpg
    zMG_2609.jpg
    719.9 KB · Views: 17
  • zMG_2610.jpg
    zMG_2610.jpg
  • zMG_2611.jpg
    zMG_2611.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • zMG_2616.jpg
    zMG_2616.jpg
    469.6 KB · Views: 19
  • zMG_2617.jpg
    zMG_2617.jpg
    732.9 KB · Views: 18
  • zMG_2618.jpg
    zMG_2618.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 14
  • zMG_2622.jpg
    zMG_2622.jpg
    775.6 KB · Views: 13
  • zMG_2627.jpg
    zMG_2627.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 14
  • zMG_2629.jpg
    zMG_2629.jpg
  • zMG_2631.jpg
    zMG_2631.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • zMG_2636.jpg
    zMG_2636.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • zMG_2650.jpg
    zMG_2650.jpg
  • zMG_2652.jpg
    zMG_2652.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
How far above the ground is the door sill?
How does that sill height compare with Piper Navajo or Cessna 400 series?
Is that easy entry worth the increased construction complexity of the mid-wing and ring-spar?

Is that easy entry worth the increased construction complexity of the mid-wing and ring-spar?
N12233 seems to be at the correct height - the struts appeared to still be filled whereas N4604S was most defintely fully compressed that the gear doors deformed. So you could enter without stairs wheras the 400 series requires a step. Not sure on the Navajo but think it does too. As for construction viability, seeing as it did not get produced says something. Being underpowered strikes me as the biggest blow to it success.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

N12233 seems to be at the correct height - the struts appeared to still be filled whereas N4604S was most defintely fully compressed that the gear doors deformed. So you could enter without stairs wheras the 400 series requires a step. Not sure on the Navajo but think it does too. As for construction viability, seeing as it did not get produced says something. Being underpowered strikes me as the biggest blow to it success.

Enjoy the Day! Mark
Navajo needs a single external step to make it easy to enter the cabin.

So sad to see this outside. the sun has deteriorated the old style fiberglass to the point that it's crispy and unusable. I just went to Portage WI and spotted this plane on 10/9/22. It's pretty much not restorable and it's a sad sight. Terrible design but when you consider it was from 1966. well it's still a terrible design.

Attachments

• 20221008_131216.jpg
    20221008_131216.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 20221008_131225.jpg
    20221008_131225.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 16
  • 20221008_131250.jpg
    20221008_131250.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 20
  • 20221008_131301.jpg
    20221008_131301.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 28
Saw a news story over the weekend that there is a plan underway to close the airport. Photos show the area where the two aircraft were when I visited being clear - no aircraft to be seen in any of the photos. :-(

Enjoy the Day! Mark