British Unknown Flying Wing Airliner Project

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
From Letectvi magazine,

I found this strange flying wing British airliner Project,as it was mentioned in International Aerospace Exhibition
in Paris,I can't remember the year,but of course it was from post WWII,who can ID it ?.

Attachments

• h.png
    h.png
    165.6 KB · Views: 147
In Czech, apparently.
Google translate...…..
The British government-inspired constructors created a model of airliner for the XVII International Flight in Paris in 1956, as it will be seen in 10 years. I say "it" will fly speeds of 970km per hour at a distance of 5500km at a height of 14km. Six jet engines generate about 46000kg of propulsion pressure.
Which doesn't tell us much

I was wondering if it might have originated from Reimer Horton very short spell at Fairies and RAE. It’s got the look of a Horton 18.

Last edited:

Attachments

• MoSImage1.jpg
    MoSImage1.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 94
From the description in the article (described as a "flying flatfish" with flattened jet exhausts along the trailing edge), it seems this must have been an RAE study, or the work of MoS technical assessors. We can only speculate how much of the design was inspired by captured German research or the work the Horten brothers were doing at the time on civil flying wings in an attempt to gain themselves a job in Britain.

I think that you may be right. There were a lot of tailless and flying wing-style concepts around in Briatain through the mid 1940s, they often turn up in papers and lectures, for example Roy Fedden's in 1944. The boomerang planform of this one reminds me of Roxbee Cox's ideas from the immediate pre-war years, so I would agree that RAE seems plausible.

Back
Top Bottom