British Experimental Combat Aircraft of WWII

As for a subtitle, why not a decent title to begin with, like "British WWII Experimental Airplanes" or whatever & THEN some off the wall cutesy subtitle?

fudge said:
Hello

A slightly derivative title but what about "Churchill's X-Planes" along with suitable explanatory subtitle?

Regards
Alan

How about:

'Stuck on the Starting Blocks - RAF and FAA almost rans and near misses'?

Similar to 'Stuck on the Drawing Board' so perhaps 'Left on the Starting Blocks' if that is an issue?

Has a nice Olympic ring to it too!

harrier said:
Has a nice Olympic ring to it too!

Clever... and risky. After 2012 the book might have a "dated marketing trick" feel to it...

The Olympic aspect only occurred after thinking it up - the phrase 'stuck on the starting blocks' (or left on..) is a common one and seems to describe the fate of many of the planes featured. It would only be a marketing trick if sold on the basis of an allusion to the Olympics, which I doubt it would.

It is true that the new book covers some subjects already in BSP: WW2. In fact I have tried to make the two volumes compliment one another, with new information, new photos and, obviously, more depth for the types that flew. I have raided the National Archives a lot and some chapters like the Spiteful have stretched to over 4,000 words. There are a few colour photos, and for example we have just found (I think) only the second known photo to exist of the second E.28 W4046 in complete state before it crashed.
Of course, it is really up to you guys to say if I have succeeded or not.

my proposal

BRITANNIA DREAMS:
History of WWII aircraft proposal not taken by Royal Air Force

Sounds awfully good so far!! ;D

Michel Van said:
BRITANNIA DREAMS:

Why the RAF only? What about the Royal Navy? And the RCAF, RNZAF, RAAF, RSAF?

Stargazer2006 said:

Sounds awfully good so far!! ;D

Michel Van said:
BRITANNIA DREAMS:

Why the RAF only? What about the Royal Navy? And the RCAF, RNZAF, RAAF, RSAF?

dam i forgot those , sorry !
here correction an and in case of success with first Book, two titles for vol 2 and 3 ::)

BRITANNIA DREAMS Vol one:
History of WWII aircraft proposal not taken by Royal Air Force and Royal Navy

BRITANNIA DREAMS Vol two:
History of Coldwar aircraft proposal wanted by Royal Air Force and Royal Navy, but the politician say NO!

BRITANNIA DREAMS Vol Three:
History of Post coldwar aircraft proposal with lack of interest by Royal Air Force and Royal Navy.

Tony has no direct control over the name - that is the publisher's choice, and is vary carefully chosen. The author can make suggestions.

Note also the provisional title often changes before release.

Tony Buttler

•First major work on this fascinating period of aviation
•A primary reference work on the subject
•Large selection of photographs, some of which have rarely been seen before
•Extensive appendix on many more aircraft
[/size]This new book by Tony Buttler, a first of its kind, describes the British fighter, bomber and research aircraft produced in the run up to and during World War II.Aircraft which were built and flown as prototypes only, either with the intention of putting them into service or just for the purposes of research are covered in detail while types such as the Westland Welkin which entered production but which did not reach a squadron are also covered. Several un-built design projects are explained, which were to be built, even reaching the stage of having serial numbers allocated to them. Each specific type has been covered separately as a ‘mini’ chapter and a large selection of photographs is included, some of which have rarely been seen before.The subjects covered range from basic short-term insurance fighters like the Miles M.20 through to the Martin-Baker M.B.5 and Supermarine Spitfire, which represent the ultimate in piston fighter development. The bomber chapters embrace subjects such as the Fairey Spearfish torpedo bomber and the four-engine Vickers Windsor, and there are oddities like the Blackburn B.20 flying boat. Also featured is Britain’s first jet aircraft, the Gloster E.28/39, while some pre-War types like the Gloster F.5/34 are included if they were still active at the start of the conflict.For completeness, there is also an Appendix listing other types that do not fulfil the full requirements but which are still of interest. Primarily this section, using photo coverage and brief details, examines one-off examples of standard production types that were fitted with different powerplants or other features such as a gun turret.

Attachments

• 9781902109244_Brit_Exp.jpg
    9781902109244_Brit_Exp.jpg
    861.6 KB · Views: 586
An other great Tony Buttler book it seems!
Can't hardly wait...

Re: British Experimental Combat Aircraft of WWII OUT NOW :)

Just to let you know that my 'British Experimental Combat Aircraft of World War II' for Hikoki was delivered from the printers last week and so is now available.
Again, I am delighted with the production and hope readers will enjoy it.

Very best wishes,
Tony.

Got my copy last week from the Ian Allan shop in Manchester. Only had time for a quick flick-through but its the usual high standard and some interesting stuff in there. It builds on BSP:3 and there are some photos in there I hadn't seen before.

Have bought it on spec. Sounds like a good read, and I've yet to be disappointed by anything Tony has put out. If you're reading this, Tony, keep up the good work - you do a fantastic job of keeping the punters happy.

Have my copy at last... great reading.
Despite some of the subjects in Mr. Buttlers book are already described
in several magazine articles and a few books , the writer was able to dig up once more
unknown information and illustrations.

Ever seen a mock-up photo of the Hawker P.1005, a twin engined bomber by Folland
or a turboprop variant of the Windsor..? It's all in the book and much more.

Excellent work Tony. Thanks again.