View attachment 685926

So there will be no more sensors below the cockpit, compared to the B-52H variant. I wonder what the reasons were for their removal. Is that because of the new radar?

I wonder, why did they kept the outriggers if they no longer touch the ground ?
:D

Outriggers will touch the ground if both wings and external tanks are full or if there is a significant fuel load imbalance from side to side.
Illustration implies no fuel load at all.

I'd like a definition for the antenna fairings above the wing roots. DirecTV? Starlink? SiriusXM?

I wonder, why did they kept the outriggers if they no longer touch the ground ?
:D
They might not touch the ground while the plane is sitting static. but load the wings with fuel, strap a couple MOPs under each wing, then do a hard takeoff from a crappy runway, you'l be glad of those outriggers.

B-52H or B-52J or something else?

Word is (posted upthread) that there's almost certainly at least one new designation (B-52J) but might even be two (B-52K?) depending on how the radar upgrades and engine replacement matchup. Like there will probably be aircraft with the new radars but old engines (but probably not ones with new engines and the old radar?). Both differences are significant from a maintenance and mission planning perspective, so are those all Js or do you need to mark the differences somehow?

Did the tail grow some height back? I recall a Buff pilot expressing the opinion that they'd need to restore some of the tail's former glory, and it looks a tad taller on the model than the low-altitude bob job of the H.

Did the tail grow some height back? I recall a Buff pilot expressing the opinion that they'd need to restore some of the tail's former glory, and it looks a tad taller on the model than the low-altitude bob job of the H.

Pretty sure they haven't touched the tail. Compare to this H model, for example.

1666319094379.png

My recollection is that they would have needed more tail if they went with four large engines, rather than the current plan, to deal with a single outboard engine failure.

I hope they do go back to the original tail-fin design as the new one introduced in the B-52G was ugly, it looked like someone had got a pair of giant hedge-clippers and snipped off the tip.

Looks like they are removing the EVS system and some of the older ECM aerials as part of the makeover. Probably part of the radar refit, which as I understand it might take place separately for some aircraft. Also confirmation of reduction to four man crew.
Apparently the EVS fairings have been empty for years. Removing them may allow the max. permitted speed to be restored - not because of the drag reduction. The max. permitted speed had been reduced because, above a certain speed, the fairings disrupted airflow over air data probe(s).
Removing empty fairings sounds like the sort of minor surgery that could have been performed long ago in the field.
They weren’t empty when I left ED 12 years ago, the offenders still liked to use them to see where they were going. The clean nose restores the Vmo back to .92M versus .88M since the pitot static system will have clean air again. A filed mod is possible, but there’s a bit of engineering to undo all of the fuselage penetrations then do the sheet metal work. More likely the type of thing to roll into a PDM visit, which with new engine and radar is very little added marginal cost.

Podcast more focused on on the IT aspect:

B-52 will be receiving an APU, no more start-cart!

Boeing has selected Honeywell’s proven 36-150 auxiliary power unit (APU) to upgrade the B-52 with an on-wing Auxiliary Starter Air Unit (ASAU) as part of the Commercial Engine Replacement Program (CERP). Each ASAU consists of an APU and controller that provides high-pressure air to start the main jet engines before departure.

Never realized B-52s had no APU (bangs his head against the nearest wall).

Must have been a colossal PITA to start all those engines without an APU.

Next version (B-52J?) will still keep 6 crewmembers of did it will move to 4 ones?
It would leave room in the lower deck and eliminate definitely the dangerous downward ejection seats....

Something that should've been done back in the Cold War.
The are pyrotechnical charges that can turn over the engines sans start cart; I believe these normally would been fitted when at a dispersal field or on alert. But there was a low tech work around.

Never realized B-52s had no APU (bangs his head against the nearest wall).

Must have been a colossal PITA to start all those engines without an APU.
The cart provides low pressure air to turn over two engines in one of the inboard pods. There after those engines provide power for the rest of the start up process. As noted above, there was a pyrotechnic way of doing this as well for more austere/rapid situations. Probably not ideal, but enough to get the job done. A huge amount of B-52 maintenance is still very manual and low tech:

Next version (B-52J?) will still keep 6 crewmembers of did it will move to 4 ones?
It would leave room in the lower deck and eliminate definitely the dangerous downward ejection seats....
Crew is already down to 5; tailgunner removed long ago. That said sometimes extra crew is carried anyway and apparently it can fly with as little as three if absolutely needed. New version will bring standard crew down to four, but it isn't clear which positions. A poster who's actually had service on the machine said that it would be incredibly difficult to move the lower deck stations; I think it likely the position that is removed is aft facing upper deck (along with the previous gunner station).

Boeing has selected Honeywell’s proven 36-150 auxiliary power unit (APU) to upgrade the B-52 with an on-wing Auxiliary Starter Air Unit (ASAU) as part of the Commercial Engine Replacement Program (CERP). Each ASAU consists of an APU and controller that provides high-pressure air to start the main jet engines before departure.

The do still have starter cartridges and they work just fine. Normal, non-SIOP operations will now no longer need external air or power. The big gain will be deployed maintenance where you can take less AGE and use the APU for air and power on ground checks.

The downstairs seats are only dangerous below 250 ft. and there were successful ejections that low. Regardless, at least one offender will stay downstairs because that’s where all the OAS equipment is located. FWIW the seats are safer than the jump seats.

Still, starting 700 Buffs with 8 cartridges each, rinse, repeat - the cartridge manufacturer must have made a crapton of money on this. :D
Just two each plane :) But the poor guys who have to clean them afterwards were not to be envied.
Eight, one for each engine. Back in the day I argued a safety plan that individual engine starts were just as safe as all wight at once.

Crew is already down to 5; tailgunner removed long ago. That said sometimes extra crew is carried anyway and apparently it can fly with as little as three if absolutely needed. New version will bring standard crew down to four, but it isn't clear which positions. A poster who's actually had service on the machine said that it would be incredibly difficult to move the lower deck stations; I think it likely the position that is removed is aft facing upper deck (along with the previous gunner station).
The Gunner seat is still there so there are 6 ejection seats. The in cabin equipment is there as well, just all of it is pulled and collared. The stuff in the tail is gone. As mentioned most of the OAS is downstairs so it really doesn’t make sense to run the cables and completely reengineer the upstairs.